King Arms M4 GBBR Power Reduction

Discussion of GBB (gas blowback) replicas.

King Arms M4 GBBR Power Reduction

Postby Mr. Technicality » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:34 pm

I recently got a KA (WA system) M4 GBBR. It was simple enough to swap out the high power valve blocker for the included low power valve blocker using the included instructions. Problem is I'm not sure if it's enough. It might still be shooting over 400 fps with a .2g BB. I have a plan for a DIY mod, but if there are tried and true methods for further reducing power I'd like to hear them.

I don't have a chronograph, but I'm planning on using my computer to conduct a sound test. I'll fire at a hard surface fixed a known distance away from my replica, record audio of my gun firing, and look at the waveform to find the time difference between firing and ricochet. I'll use the time and distance to calculate the average velocity. Then I'll move the target closer and calculate the new average. After a few data points have been collected at different distances I should be able to find the limit of the velocity as the distance approaches zero. That should approximate the muzzle velocity.

If I estimate it to shoot over 400 fps with a .2, I'll try modding my high-power valve blocker to look like my low-power valve blocker but slightly more-so. I don't want to modify my low-power valve blocker since it at least gets me close to a safe velocity and I don't want to risk damaging it.

So to those knowledgable about gas guns: does this seem like a good idea? Horrible idea? Is there a better method out there? Any feedback would be appreciated.
I'm a "fair weather" airsofter. I only play in the pouring rain, freezing cold, or broiling heat.
Mr. Technicality
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Postby jdogbigmoney » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:06 pm

jdogbigmoney
Soldier
Soldier

Team: [ODK]

Postby Jewish Ninja » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:12 am

Velocity Reducers are a giant waste of time. They generally don't work that well and don't work on FA.

Goto Tactac or anywhere close that has a chrono and test it. I'd buy an NPAS instead of trying to mod it yourself.
Threepeat! AP Gearwhore of the Year.
WWGFD?
Adjective noun is adjective.
Jewish Ninja

Team: SpecDet1

Postby jdogbigmoney » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:20 am

Jewish Ninja wrote:Velocity Reducers are a giant waste of time. They generally don't work that well and don't work on FA.

Goto Tactac or anywhere close that has a chrono and test it. I'd buy an NPAS instead of trying to mod it yourself.

ok thank you for correcting me i guess you learn a new thing every day!
jdogbigmoney
Soldier
Soldier

Team: [ODK]

Postby Miracle » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:59 pm

Velocity reducers may reduce your muzzle velocity but it allow your nozzle to wear down quickly. Get an Npas (made by RA tech). If you don't have one you're already reducing the life expectancy of your GBBR.
Miracle
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mr. Technicality » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:56 pm

Just ordered an NPAS from RA-Tech. Thanks for the advice! Hope it gets here in time for Fallout. I went ahead and recorded my gun today. Results are inconclusive. The recorded waveform has multiple peaks in the firing sequence. Depending on which peak I measure from, my muzzle velocity could be anywhere between 330 and 643 fps. My plan now is to wait for the NPAS to get here and to adjust it when I have a real chronograph available to me.
I'm a "fair weather" airsofter. I only play in the pouring rain, freezing cold, or broiling heat.
Mr. Technicality
Soldier
Soldier

Return to Gas Pistols & SMGs