A totally unforgiveable 'which gun?!' thread. (MP7/9)

Discussion of GBB (gas blowback) replicas.

A totally unforgiveable 'which gun?!' thread. (MP7/9)

Postby RedSpo0n » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:13 pm

I'm well aware of how frowned on the 'which gun should I get?!' threads are - but I'm trying to get real comparison information from folks that have actually handled both the KWA MP7 and MP9.

Also, a little comparison with the old TMP vs newer models would not go unappreciated aswell, as that's my frame of refference for a GBB SMG/PDW. :D

So, how do they stack up? Either significantly faster ROF? Higher FPS? Better accuracy? Amazing little quirk of Hop-up design that makes one better than the other?

The information I've put together from the various reviews and info sheets around seems to say they're pretty much 'the same', so I'm looking for hands-on user feedback.

Thanks for the input, and your Tolerance of my sinfully noobish thread! :lol:
With all the pretty flowers and twigs in your ghillie.. perhaps you should take up gardening?
RedSpo0n
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Postby Beran » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:42 pm

i have three of the old KSC TMPs, and one of the new MP9s. i also owned a KWA MP7 for over a year (i actually traded the MP7 for my MP9). if given the choice of one out of those three guns, i wouldn't even hesitate to choose the MP9 every time.

the MP9 is more reliable than the MP7, and it has a slightly higher velocity and rate of fire. personally, i prefer the ergonomics over the MP7 as well. it's a little harder to work on than the MP7 was, but it fails less too. the mags are easier to get into magazine pouches.

the old KSCs dont even compare. they break all the time, and are impossible to get parts for. also a comparatively low velocity.

the one downside to the MP9 that ive seen is the way that the mechanism is built it shoots a little puff of gas into your eye when you are looking down the sights while shooting it. you an do some easy stuff with tape to minimize it, but its hard to make it go away completely. also, some of the older TMP parts are compatible with the MP9. i took the threaded barrel off my TMP and installed it on my MP9 so i could use the TMP suppressor i have.
Let your plans be as dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
Beran

Team: APST

Postby BlacksunshineGAAS » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:50 pm

Digging the MP9. There are a couple after market parts you can get for it now that drop the FPS so its actually useable in CQB. These parts also work for the MP7.
motherlover.
BlacksunshineGAAS
Soldier
Soldier

Postby RedSpo0n » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:47 pm

Beran wrote:i have three of the old KSC TMPs *snip* so I could use the TMP suppressor i have.

Thank you so much - that's exactly the type of info I was looking for.

I used to have one of the old TMPs, and honestly regret ever selling it (to you, IIRC =p), so it's good to hear the new ones perform even better.

Hows the stock on the MP9? Always loved the old TMP stock, even though it was silly rare and didn't have the 'features' of our more recent folding/adjustable stocks.

Hows the accuracy? Mid-range engagements work out ok? I don't expect to compete with my bolt, but I would like to accurately engage targets from across the village at Warpaint, for example

As for the exhausted gas, I assume it's just a matter of sealing up the upper shell somewhat?
With all the pretty flowers and twigs in your ghillie.. perhaps you should take up gardening?
RedSpo0n
Soldier
Soldier

Postby VogonFord » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:48 pm

I'm more for the MP7. I really hate the blowback of gas on the newer KSC MP9s, it makes aiming them without goggles (which I don't like to wear) a real pain. If you can get by that issue, I'd just go by personal ergonomics rather than suggestions, since other than the gas in the eyes issue I find them to be quite similar in performance (the MP7 jams a little more, though).
VogonFord
Specops
Specops

Team: {FAG}

Postby Beran » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:57 pm

from what i hear the principle issue with MP7s jamming was overlubrication. the bucking in that model is very porous for an airsoft gun and sucks up the silicon, which causes it to swell and shrink the BB channel.

i like the stock, my only complaint is that with a normal vertgrip on there the stock wont lock closed because it runs into the grip. a little work with a dremel should fix that though. as for the old TMP stock, screw that. even IF you could find one, you had to basically pay as much as you did for the gun itself to get it.

accuracy is about on par with most other GBB subguns. better than a pistol but not as good as most AEGs. the real benefit in accuracy comes from more than 2 support points on your body, grip and stock. if you put a stock onto a pistol, you'll find that they become surprisingly accurate at range due to the increased stability. still no M16, but much better than they were.

as for what ive started calling the MP9's "eyefart", it can be almost completely remedied with some creative application of electrical tape.
Let your plans be as dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
Beran

Postby RedSpo0n » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:49 pm

Takedown still super easy like the old model?

*Can I paint it without making a mess of the innards =p?*
RedSpo0n
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Beran » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:57 pm

the MP9 takedown is almost identical to the TMP.
Beran

Postby CommieHunter » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:49 am

KWA MP7: 350FPS, better accuracy, folding grip, two side rails, slower ROF. Mags are ribbed, stick in pouches more. More adjustable sights.

KWA KMP9: 400FPS, higher ROF, either fixed grip or rail, only one side rail. Mags hold more gas.
CommieHunter

Team: SOTA

Postby Chairmanlao » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 am

I owned the KWA mp7 which I used for CQB.

From just messing around with my friends KWA mp9, I still like the Mp7 better.

Another thing to keep in mind that the mp9, you get a face full of propane with each shot.
Might get annoying after the 5th mag.
Chairmanlao
Soldier
Soldier

Return to Gas Pistols & SMGs