1911 real steel parts

Discussion of GBB (gas blowback) replicas.

1911 real steel parts

Postby Sixxgun » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:19 am

was wondering what real steel parts I can use on my tm clone 1911. I know the barrel bushing and grips can be modified to fit most airsoft versions. So what other parts can I use? I should add I'm asking people that are sure or have done these mods. Also to clarify I'm looking at mostly external parts like mainspring housing, both safeties, slide lock, etc.
Sixxgun
Ranger
Ranger

Team: N/A

Postby Beran » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:56 am

i know someone asked this exact question a couple months ago. see if you can dig up the original thread.
Let your plans be as dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
Beran

Team: APST

Postby Sixxgun » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:10 pm

I've tried looking only thing I can find was about grip bushings
Sixxgun
Ranger
Ranger

Postby MJKramer » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:22 pm

you shouldn't do this. you just shouldn't. remember that big problem with gas blowback AR15 recievers being converted into failing real guns that blew up on the first shot? please dont get them to do the same exact thing with pistols, that would be awful.

but if you want it, depending on the slide you are using, you can put a red dot in place of the rear iron sight. and some of the dots that are made are a rear iron sight and red dot combo, using the co-witnessing which means its easy to keep your dot zeroed simply by aligning it with the iron sights.
Remember, diversity makes America wonderful, so our opinions don't have to match!
MJKramer
Soldier
Soldier

Re: 1911 real steel parts

Postby Switchback » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:52 pm

Sixxgun wrote: I know the barrel bushing and grips can be modified to fit most airsoft versions.

Sir, if you can manage to get the barrel bushing to work, please let me know.
"I have the cutest dog."
Switchback

Postby Beran » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:43 pm

MJKramer wrote:you shouldn't do this. you just shouldn't. remember that big problem with gas blowback AR15 recievers being converted into failing real guns that blew up on the first shot? please dont get them to do the same exact thing with pistols, that would be awful.

the only part that is a danger is receivers (frames on pistols). the airsoft gas pistol frames aren't even close to fitting real action parts. there is no danger from fitting non-registered parts to an airsoft gun.

i took apart my 1911 and tried various parts (on a WE gun, but TM's arent too terribly different).

spring cap works, slide stop works (but looks like it will be brand specific, some will work and some will not), barrel bushing will work with some minor dremeling/filing, sear spring doesn't fit at all ( Sad ), thumb safety and grip safety do not fit, mainspring housing does not fit (was a surprise, i had thought they did).
Let your plans be as dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
Beran

Team: APST

Postby Sixxgun » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:24 pm

bummer was hoping to use grip safety and safety (actual steel)
Sixxgun
Ranger
Ranger

Postby John_234 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:05 am

Grip safety can fit with some brands, but it's so much milling I really wouldn't bother. NOVA makes a bunch of safeties that are made of decent steel and fit with not too much work on the gun itself. Redwolf usually has a small assortment in stock.
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”- Albert Einstein
John_234
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Cosmos » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:04 am

I have heard of people using real steel full length guide rods too(WE 1911) if you're into that kind of thing.

"We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it's forever."
-Carl Sagan
Cosmos
Soldier
Soldier

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Sixxgun » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:00 am

two of the biggest reason I asked this question was I can find parts for cheap(some are a little more expensive) that are higher quality than their airsoft counterparts, that and there is an abundance of these parts. Honestly John if you have tools and patience (even if its just a good file) it worth trying.
Sixxgun
Ranger
Ranger

Postby John_234 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:34 am

I hear you. Grips, sights, little internal pieces and all that. It's one way to keep the price of a nice 1911 build from breaking through the roof. A lot of work. I run a fairly spartan 1911 so it's not too much of a concern for me personally, though.
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”- Albert Einstein
John_234
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Rogue Reaper » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:40 pm

I have R.S.

Hammer
Main Spring housing
Ambi Safety
Slide stop
Trigger
Full Length Guide Rod
Barrel Bushing

But I have been gunsmithing 1911's for longer than I care to admit.
All parts required just a tad of fitting.
I Like My Motorcycles Loud And My Firearms Quiet. ~ Me
Rogue Reaper

Postby John_234 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:52 pm

For reference, what brand were parts and gun?
John_234
Ranger
Ranger

Postby airsplat » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:45 pm

in reality, the easy parts that fit are the grips, and aesthetic parts with some minor filing/dremeling, (mostly sights) slides and frames or anything to the action of the airsoft gun will not match whatsoever, and functional parts such as safety, grip safety, will require much modification and custom fitting in order to make them work that it's basically manufacturing your own custom part. but if you have the time and patience, more power to you
airsplat
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Sixxgun » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:26 pm

I just find that most aftermarket and stock metal airsoft parts are low quaitity were as real steel parts are higher quaility product due to they stand upto the stresses I've seen to many airsoft parts break
Sixxgun
Ranger
Ranger

Return to Gas Pistols & SMGs