Gun Rack for Your Back

Discussion of load-bearing equipment, tactical gear, holsters, BDUs, and other gear related to Airsoft.

Gun Rack for Your Back

Postby jvangeld » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:52 am

Sometimes, the fastest reload is drawing another gun - Somebody online

A dumb idea? Yes, it is. Mil-Sim? Nope. But I think I would like to try it. You see, my role during the annual airsoft game that I participate in has been heavy gunner, with shades of officer. My KWA M16 BR is still reliable, and with it's upgraded spring and tightbore it cuts through deep brush. So I find a good firing position in the center, lay down some BBs, and direct my teammates. Unfortunately, not all of them have bought their guns from the One True Manufacturer, KWA. So 3/4 of the way through a match their guns have run out of battery, or BBs, or the trigger has fallen off. So I give them my pistol, or tell them how to find one of my spare guns in the safe zone. But I was thinking about the support roles in some video games. And I thought, why couldn't I bring in two short M4s on my back? Maybe only one of them would be used per game. But it would keep my teammates in the fight.

So, has anyone come across something like this? I am thinking of a vertical "gun rack" which would hold two short M4s (possibly pistol-length) with their magazines facing out, towards my arms. I'd like a support for the buttstock, and a second one for the handguard to click into, with a bungee to secure it. Maybe I adapt an actual gun rack to hook onto my MOLLE. Maybe I put backpack straps on a gun rack. Maybe there is a system to attach an individual M4 to MOLLE in that orientation and I have to buy two of them. There's a bunch of crazy stuff in the AR-15 world. Has anyone seen this particular kind of craziness that I am looking for?
jvangeld
Recruit
Recruit

Team: VGA

Re: Gun Rack for Your Back

Postby jvangeld » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:15 am

This might work.

Butt stock fits in the bottom piece with the buckle, barrel slides into a loop in the upper strap. That wouldn't work well with a standard M4 front site. But you don't put standard front sites on SBRs all that often. Alternatively, I could buy some straps and make my own.
jvangeld
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Rentax » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:52 pm

Something like what is offered above is good, but there will be a fair amount of swing / movement of the rifle on your back, which might get cumbersome.
I could see see maybe being able to use 2 weapons catches to secure them one around the fore grip, and one around the butt stock. You might be able to get away with one weapons catch for the fore grip and some type of buckle system around the butt stock to keep them more secure. But these assume you are mounting them pointing toward the ground, and you would definitely need someone else to access them off your back for you.
Another option would be to mount them securely onto a pack frame. The up side to this is it's a wearable backpack system that can be taken off on in the field. Which means you would also be able to access them when it's not on your back, you would be able to set it down at a rally point or in the field if needed to run lighter, or hand it off to a teammate in needed.

Something like this Eberlestock pack would be ideal. I know it's expensive but it's light, has integrated MOLLE and a shelf, and is built to last. It's also a great place to start for inspiration.
You could build yourself a system like that on the older/cheaper ALICE system using and an Alice frame modular panel adapter like this here or this one here maybe add an ALICE frame cargo shelf for the butt stocks to sit on. The ALICE option will be heavier but will be cheaper overall and would still give you a pack option.

I also came across this image while getting a link for the ALICE shelf
You could easily buy 2 shelves, cut the upper one to look like a gun rack, throw on some foam add few straps for each rifle and have a literal gun rack on your back.
We do what we want
Rentax

Team: SpecDet1

Postby jvangeld » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:10 am

Thanks, Rentax! I figured that someone around here would know what to look for. The Eberlestock pack looks ideal. But I will probably go the ALICE route. Heh, last time I played I took my MOLLE mag holder and wore it sporan style on my belt. Vests are hot, belts are cooler.

With the cargo shelves, I wonder how many M4s you could fit on it. Not that I would want to carry 4 into a game, but having that option would be epic. Professionals think about logistcs.
jvangeld
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Rentax » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:44 pm

Alice frame is about 1 foot wide. So you could easily fit 3, 4 would just fit.
We do what we want
Rentax

Team: SpecDet1

Return to Tactical Equipment