MARSOC, MFR, STA, MEU Loadouts

Discussion of load-bearing equipment, tactical gear, holsters, BDUs, and other gear related to Airsoft.

Postby Jewish Ninja » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:53 pm

Threepeat! AP Gearwhore of the Year.
WWGFD?
Adjective noun is adjective.
Jewish Ninja

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Unconventional » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:12 pm

Very nice!

I haven't found any Marines pics with the McMillan M2A M14 DMR pistol grip type stock kits at all.
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
- Thomas Jefferson

Custom Uniform Mods & Call Sign/Blood Type Patches:
http://unconventionaltactical.wordpress.com
Unconventional
Ranger
Ranger

Team: N/A

Postby Paladin101 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:18 pm

Google "USMC DMR" and click images...

Amazing rifle. I used one when I was with FAST Co. as there were only three of us that were DMs in the Platoon. I miss my DMR. Now they are putting them in that retarded EBR bullshit.
Paladin101
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Unconventional » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:46 pm

Sweeeeet!
- Thomas Jefferson

Unconventional
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Unconventional » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:05 pm

Here's one of MARSOC (embedded with ANA so woodland camo was requested). I think this one's part of what Kevin put up earlier in this thread...but this particular photo just wasn't posted:

- Thomas Jefferson

Unconventional
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Deathlycobra » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Catch22 wrote:Image

Are these just normal plate carriers?
Deathlycobra
Specops
Specops

Postby Catch22 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:00 pm

MBSS plate carrier, CIRAS, IBA
Catch22

Postby mossy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:40 pm

FAST Marines training.

I know one of the guys in the pic.
mossy
Ranger
Ranger

Postby shakespeare » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:01 pm

On a reconnaissance operation, what would be worn? Most of the stuff on that list would be better for direct action than a stealthy recon mission. Would MARSOC wear a plate carrier on a stealthy operation, or more of a chest rig and camelback sorta setup?
shakespeare
Specops
Specops

Postby Catch22 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:00 pm

Well the greenside aspect is pretty ambiguous right now. A lot of it, is what's mission specific. You coul use a MOLLE2 FLC vest, Rhodesian Recon Vest or a MBSS Plate Carrier. Warbelt and Modular Assault Pack are some extras to consider aswell.

Personally, I'd go with a Temperate Marpat, Boonie hat, comfortable boots, RRV or other chest rig, hydration pack or canteen and a assault pack or med alice pack.
Catch22

Postby Catch22 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:21 pm

Catch22

Postby Jerm_G » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:19 am

Shakespeare wrote:On a reconnaissance operation, what would be worn? Most of the stuff on that list would be better for direct action than a stealthy recon mission. Would MARSOC wear a plate carrier on a stealthy operation, or more of a chest rig and camelback sorta setup?

It is rare to see any marine without their plates in a combat operation. In training you may see them with out them. So yes plate carriers but not your normal full vest with the soft armor inserts.

Personally, plate carriers are not that heavy. The extra weight is well worth the added safety considering you really are only adding the weight of the plates them selves. The real weight of a combat load is not from armor but from all the other things you need. you have to plan as if you will be out much longer than you expect.

for example a standard rifleman will be loaded with the following
7 30 round mags (min) (7lbs)
3 Liters of water (6.6 lbs)
1 IFAC (1 lb)
1 OKC Marine Bayonet (1.5 lbs)
1 Marine Kevlar helmet (3-3.5lbs)
Marine plate carrier with front and back plates (apox 15 lbs)
1 M4/M16A4 rifle with optics (7.5-10+ lbs)

So far aprox 45 lbs

Then add a patrol pack with
2 pairs of socks .5 lbs
2 MREs 1.5 lbs
Rain gear3 lbs
Batteries 1lbs
extra ammo 5+lbs
NVGs 1.5 lbs
multi tool
1.5 to 3 liters of water 3-4.5 lbs
extra flashlights .5lbs
zip ties
GPS .5lbs
Map
Boonie cover/engineer cover .5lbs
comms PRC 117 weighs aprox 8.5+ lbs
extra batteries for 117 (2+lbs)
ect...

20-40 lbs pack weight.
65-85+ lbs total gear.

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer." -Major I.L. Holdridge USMC
Jerm_G
Soldier
Soldier

Team: AIRSOC

Postby Paladin101 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:43 am

Jerm_G wrote:
Shakespeare wrote:On a reconnaissance operation, what would be worn? Most of the stuff on that list would be better for direct action than a stealthy recon mission. Would MARSOC wear a plate carrier on a stealthy operation, or more of a chest rig and camelback sorta setup?

It is rare to see any marine without their plates in a combat operation. In training you may see them with out them. So yes plate carriers but not your normal full vest with the soft armor inserts.

Personally, plate carriers are not that heavy. The extra weight is well worth the added safety considering you really are only adding the weight of the plates them selves. The real weight of a combat load is not from armor but from all the other things you need. you have to plan as if you will be out much longer than you expect.

for example a standard rifleman will be loaded with the following
7 30 round mags (min) (7lbs)
3 Liters of water (6.6 lbs)
1 IFAC (1 lb)
1 OKC Marine Bayonet (1.5 lbs)
1 Marine Kevlar helmet (3-3.5lbs)
Marine plate carrier with front and back plates (apox 15 lbs)
1 M4/M16A4 rifle with optics (7.5-10+ lbs)

So far aprox 45 lbs

Then add a patrol pack with
2 pairs of socks .5 lbs
2 MREs 1.5 lbs
Rain gear3 lbs
Batteries 1lbs
extra ammo 5+lbs
NVGs 1.5 lbs
multi tool
1.5 to 3 liters of water 3-4.5 lbs
extra flashlights .5lbs
zip ties
GPS .5lbs
Map
Boonie cover/engineer cover .5lbs
comms PRC 117 weighs aprox 8.5+ lbs
extra batteries for 117 (2+lbs)
ect...

20-40 lbs pack weight.
65-85+ lbs total gear.

You must be downing steroids to not think your vest with plates is heavy, and there is no way in hell that it is 15lbs, maybe 20-25. The reason you don't see many Marines without vests on is because we have been fighting mainly in urban terrain. And with the 2 wars has come a wave of innovation in personal protection, so vests are getting smaller and lighter while offering sufficient protection. However, I got out in 2008, and we would not wear our vest for a dismounted recon patrol if we were not fully expecting a full out confrontation.

Btw if you are putting 30 rounds in your magazines you are begging for a jam, you never load more then 27 at the most (25 recommended) in to your mags for optimal performance. I always carried 13 mags, 12 on my gear, 1 on my buttstock/in weapon, which was standard with FAST Co. You are missing a considerable amount of gear for your estimation of a patrol, demo, spare ammo for the SAW, extra camis, extra water, etc. Maybe you were confused about what he asked, not what would you take with you for personal gear in a humvee, but what would you take on a recon patrol.
Paladin101
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Jerm_G » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:40 pm

I typed up a much better response but it was deleted when I was forced to sign back in. :cry:

So to clarify my original statement because apparently I was not clear....

Yes recon will wear LBV based set ups on special patrols but lots of things are looked at first to ensure the overall safety of the operators will not be jeopardized and it is also very rare when that happens in a combat environment in relation to the types of wars we have been engaged in over the last few years. 90+ percent of the time they will wear plate carriers.

Yes plate carriers with plates weigh more than a LBV.... DUH! They are about the same when not loaded with plates.

Plates come in different weights depending on size. The weight for mine were 6.6 lbs per plate. I wear smalls. I never wore side plates.

Any weight of the plates is dwarfed by everything else that you bring with you. does not matter if you wear aLBV or PC. As I demonstrated by the list with weight of those items. Not done as a "you should have this"list. Just to show you how much stuff you can bring and how much it weighs.

" carried 12 mags..."
That's nice, see list again and note the "min" and "ect". They are there for a reason. The list is an example, not what I carried. The "30 round mags" were what I had a weight for not what I load mine to. If it bothers you take 3 ounces off each mag and do the math again...

No.. I dont do steroids. I am built like a pack mule. With a good vest that distributes the weight evenly and properly, the added weight is not that big of a deal. I have always used top quality gear. My vest in the corps was a TAG that I paid for and it was friggin comfy. The interceptor was only for gear inspections. It comes to protection vs weight. I look at plates like I do condoms and my CCW. It's better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them. I have never been shot and don't want to. However if I was shot I would like to be shot in a plate that will stop the bullet.

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer." -Major I.L. Holdridge USMC
Jerm_G
Soldier
Soldier

Team: AIRSOC

Postby league 4 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:37 pm

A vet on MP.net mentioned how he felt a LOT more agile after removing just his side SAPI's... So maybe it does make a difference? Most of the pictures I've seen show people carrying less than 12 mags though.
league 4
Specops
Specops

Team: 9/G

PreviousNext

Return to Tactical Equipment