Walkie Talkies for the whole team

Discussion of load-bearing equipment, tactical gear, holsters, BDUs, and other gear related to Airsoft.

Walkie Talkies for the whole team

Postby k3gn3123512 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:13 pm

Well my team has decided to get some walkie talkies (I believe the technical term is radio) as we realized we were totally lost when we split up. We have been looking at some different models but we are totally clueless what to pick. I have done some forum searches here and on google but I don't exactly understand most of that talk. I migh understand it better if someone here could explain it as a user. Some people on our team cannot afford anything too expensive so we set the max we can spend on to 30 dollars a pair. I am aware that limits us but we are willing to live with the sacrifice of the quality of the device.
I myself while looking at Radios am totally confused when it says two way. Does that mean that We can only communicate with two people and no more? If so what should I look for if I want to communicate between the whole team or only between a few people.
Also I would like to attach a headset to it so I can communicate handsfree.
I would really appreciate if you guys could help me out here.

P.S.-I apologize if I sound like a newb.
k3gn3123512
Ranger
Ranger

Team: N/A

Walkie Talkies

Postby oda315 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:33 pm

Hello,
Two way is not a limitation upon users on a net. It just means they are, in the simplest of terms, able to send and receive a message.

With a radio transmitter, which is what these are, you operate within a network. Two radios make up a network as a minimum. You can have your whole team in the network.

Everybody on your team, to keep things simple, will use the same frequency. These radios have multiple frequencies. Frequencies enable multiple users to tune into the network. Many people, more than you can count, could possibly be in the net. It is a function of power output and proximity to the transmitting radio in the net.

Only one radio can transmit at a time. That might be a limitation, but that is the nature of the radio. Unlike a cell phone, where two users can talk at the same time, with a walkie talkie, only one can talk at a time. When that person is done talking, another can talk.

Even inexpensive radios can take a throat mic or boom microphone as long as they have a jack and I have not seen one without a jack.
Sir Harry Flashman would not have called his hits.
oda315
Grunt
Grunt

Re: Walkie Talkies

Postby k3gn3123512 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:39 pm

oda315 wrote:Hello,
Two way is not a limitation upon users on a net. It just means they are, in the simplest of terms, able to send and receive a message.

With a radio transmitter, which is what these are, you operate within a network. Two radios make up a network as a minimum. You can have your whole team in the network.

Everybody on your team, to keep things simple, will use the same frequency. These radios have multiple frequencies. Frequencies enable multiple users to tune into the network. Many people, more than you can count, could possibly be in the net. It is a function of power output and proximity to the transmitting radio in the net.

Only one radio can transmit at a time. That might be a limitation, but that is the nature of the radio. Unlike a cell phone, where two users can talk at the same time, with a walkie talkie, only one can talk at a time. When that person is done talking, another can talk.

Even inexpensive radios can take a throat mic or boom microphone as long as they have a jack and I have not seen one without a jack.

Ahh thank you, great information. Answered everything I needed to know. Do you have any brand recommendations ?
k3gn3123512
Ranger
Ranger

Radios

Postby oda315 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:54 pm

I suggest you go to a place like a camping hunting store or REI or maybe even Target or Walmart. Motorola makes a bunch of versions. I think $30 a unit for GMRS radios is a decent target price. I have seen them for less.

They all do the same thing whether you can pay $15 per radio or $45 per radio. Given certain limitations built into these units (namely power output and frequency choice), you can only talk a limited distance. In open space they transmit farther. In forests or cities, perhaps a few blocks.

For airsoft, for your age group, I don't think you should get too hung up on a lot of things like huge numbers of channels, privacy and claims of range. Check out the units at a store that has some choices, be certain you are buying radios that tell you you don't need a license, get as much power as you can, for under $30, and that will do it. Save as much as you can up front because extra microphones and attachments cost. They won't come with the initial purchase.
Last edited by oda315 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
oda315
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Jester316 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:06 pm

Remember, to transmit on GMRS channels, you need an FCC license. Motorola Talkabouts work great for airsoft if you are on a limited budget.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Blizzard » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:45 pm

I've been working with a Midlands for 1 1/2 years and it has served me well enough.
For every action (Bang) there is an equal and opposite reaction (HIT!)
Previously AsianMarksman
Blizzard
Soldier
Soldier

Postby LoneWolf808 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:53 pm

On the Limited Budget Note, me and my Team, Island Assault Squad, used Motorola Talkalots, and as nasty there said, be careful on what channels you transmit on.

With the Radios we use Motorola (as far as i know) Wired Headsets with PTT or VOX
Island Assault Squad
LoneWolf808
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Jester316 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:53 pm

Nasty wrote:
Jester316 wrote:Remember, to transmit on GMRS channels, you need an FCC license. Motorola Talkabouts work great for airsoft if you are on a limited budget.

I thought channels 17-22 on the Talkabouts were GMRS channels?

Idk, my talkabout is FRS only.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Postby danneskjold » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:15 pm

It is okay to use GMRS frequencies as long as someone on the other end/event has a license if I remember correctly.
danneskjold
Specops
Specops

Postby Wombat Six » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:20 pm

The GMRS license applies to "an adult individual and his or her immediate family members, including a spouse, children, parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, nephews, nieces, and in-laws". Someone at the event having a license does not meet the standard as written by the FCC unless they're an immediate relative of yours.

That being said, the FCC's enforcement of the GMRS licensing issue is non-existent because no one with enough clout who uses GMRS has said anything that has caused them to look at it further. This could, of course, change at any time. Want to change it for the better? Petition the FCC to relax this licensing requirement and/or do away with it entirely.
Ludere Causa Ludendi
Wombat Six
Specops
Specops

Radios

Postby oda315 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:39 am

Sorry for the confusion I caused. I meant FRS. Nevertheless, the point I was trying to make to King Nikan is to buy unlicensed radios. 1/2 watt, permanent duck antenna, etc.
Thanks!
oda315
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Raging Hormann » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:15 am

I have heard some good things about the Tri Square radios. You can get them here from S4 Tactical. They are pretty inexpensive, the highest model being $2 each, and from what I've heard from Bill (Seagreen), they are absolutely awesome.
S4 Tactical wrote: * 900MHz frequency hopping spread spectrum
* 10 billion channels
* Secure conversation and no eavesdropping
* Phonebook stores up to 100 contact entries
* Voice operated transmit (VOX)
* Backlit dot matrix LCD
* Backlit alpha numeric 10 digital keypad
* 2-way text messaging (SMS)
* Call waiting/caller ID
* Call/talk with a group or individual
* NOAA weather receiver
* Page/Call alert tone (vibrate or tone)
* 3 AA Alkaline batteries or optional rechargeable batteries (batteries not included)
* Compatible with all eXRSâ„¢ radios

I'd really like to get some for myself and my team honestly.
R.I.P. Spc. Taylor Marks; Until We Meet Again
I'm so inappropriate, even I need an adult some times.
Eudorus wrote:...and simply show up and shoot everyone since all of these assholes are running around on our island.

SPECIAL FORCES J.A.D GROUP SINCE 2012
Raging Hormann

Postby Jester316 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:19 am

The problem with the trisquare radios, is that they have the same Tx power as other radios (.5watt), and you can't use them with other radios. They only work with themselves. So, if your entire team runs with them great, however you can't talk to other groups.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Postby Raging Hormann » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:52 am

This is true. Hell, just go with the Black Box radios. Only $200+ apiece!

I have some of the Midland GXT850's, and I like them a lot. The only problem I have had with them is finding good sources for headsets for them, but I do have a link to a thread that has a guide to modifying Icom PTT headsets to work with the Midlands.
R.I.P. Spc. Taylor Marks; Until We Meet Again
I'm so inappropriate, even I need an adult some times.
Eudorus wrote:...and simply show up and shoot everyone since all of these assholes are running around on our island.

SPECIAL FORCES J.A.D GROUP SINCE 2012
Raging Hormann

Postby danneskjold » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:26 am

I imagine the battery life probably isnt great either...if they are channel hopping they are literally changing multiple channels every 10 seconds - and they run off 3 AA to boot...

Disclaimer: I have never handled one.
danneskjold
Specops
Specops

Next

Return to Tactical Equipment