Boots

Discussion of load-bearing equipment, tactical gear, holsters, BDUs, and other gear related to Airsoft.

Boots

Postby LION1 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:05 pm

anyone know where I can get a pair of boots for a reasonable price?
Archer - I almost feel bad about that...almost
LION1
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Re: Boots

Postby STRIK3 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:14 pm

Go to REI and get some Merrells. Really comfy, wear like shoes, and are still waterproof. If you join the co-op (one time fee, member for life, gets you discounts and a rebate every year) I think they still have a deal going on right now where you get 20% off when you join. It ended up paying for my entire membership fee and knocked a few bucks off the boots.

I still ended up paying about $115, but good footwear is worth its weight in gold. Don't skimp on it if you're looking for a bargain, boots ought to be an investment.
ISAF-C, The 144, Rushing Russians OR/Willamette Valley KВДВ

http://www.facebook.com/ExecutiveRiskControlServices
STRIK3
Ranger
Ranger

Team: RR KBAB

Postby Orwell » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:18 am

Andy and Bak's in Portland, and a block away the Bargain Basement in The Next Adventure. Both have great deals. Just go hunting. Good luck!
Orwell
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Russkie » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:15 am

Go to a store and try on some boots. Whatever fits, buy that. I've been running with the same pair of RG Tactical Boots from Big 5 that I got 3 years ago for $22. I was about to get some Nike SFB boots since I heard they were the best thing since sliced bread. I tried on a pair at the Nike Employee Store around a year ago and the just weren't for me.
Russkie
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Darius137 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:28 am

I have fat feet. Nike SFB do not work for me.

I am hoping to try on a set of the new Danner Melee's, but nobody seems to stock them.

I love Danner boots. They work for me. I know a lot of guys in the Oregon guard that swear by the Blackhawk tactical Tennis shoe type boot. They wear them more than tennis shoes, they're so comfortable, and they withstood a year in Iraq.
Member of Rushing Russians KBДB (Cascadian VDV/Airborne) chapter.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/KEBAB.PARTY/
Darius137

Postby wikingwarrior » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:37 am

Go to a Surplus store, US army issue boot are pretty nice, despite being the World's most mechanized army/
wikingwarrior
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Jester316 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:46 am

I've had:

Bellevue boots: got them from a surplus store wore them for a year and ripped one open on some sheet metal. Good tough boots.

Converse boots: very comfy, lots of padding. Good traction.

Bates side zip: again, good quality, zippers are awesome in boots, not water proof. Tore the leather from
wearing daily for a year and a half.

DAnner Acadia: have worn these almost daily since January 2011. I have a lace in zipper for fire dept work. Water proof unless the water goes above the top of the boot. Soles wear a little quick but Danner will recondition and resold for a fee.

Keen Siskiyu: just got thes and love them. Water proof, great traction, not a heavy 8" boot.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby STRIK3 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:14 pm

HartThrob wrote:Andy and Bak's in Portland, and a block away the Bargain Basement in The Next Adventure. Both have great deals. Just go hunting. Good luck!

I've tried some of the boots they have there. Most of the ones on the racks appear to be that Chinese reproduction crap as opposed to actual US military surplus. I'd be wary of them, unless somebody can say otherwise.

As for Next Adventure, the basement alone is probably one of the single greatest places to get outdoor equipment in the city.

Jester316 wrote:Danner Acadia: have worn these almost daily since January 2011. I have a lace in zipper for fire dept work. Water proof unless the water goes above the top of the boot. Soles wear a little quick but Danner will recondition and resold for a fee.

I can also speak for Danners. I've got some 8" Striker II's for work, but I also used them for airsoft up until I got my Merrills. Comfy, and very waterproof. They're a bit heavy-ish but nothing terrible, however they aren't insulated for winter (if you're running around airsofting, you're feet will warm up on their own). Had them for about a year and a half and the soles do indeed wear quickly. I've also started to have the leather split on the top, but at work, they are constantly wet, walking on an abrasive surface, with exposure to chemicals, etc. so they've done admirably considering.

The other nice thing about Merrill/Keen/etc. hiker-style boots is that they are way comfier to wear while driving to events than big combat boots.

STRIK3
Ranger
Ranger

Postby midnight_commander » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:49 pm

To be honest. I wouldn't skimp on boots. If you get nice ones to begin with not only will your feet have a good time, but you won't have to replace them for quite a while. In the long run you end up saving money.

Check out the Danner Factory Store in Hillsboro. They usually have some boots that have minor imperfections (such as a single missed stitch or something) that they sell for relatively good prices.
midnight_commander
Specops
Specops

Postby STRIK3 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:55 pm

Also check out Nordstrom Rack, I see Merrells and Keens show up there not infrequently for <$90

STRIK3
Ranger
Ranger

Postby McNair » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:05 pm

If you get shit at REI you can always return it for in store credit. I think you have this option for up to a year. I used to work with a guy that would return his clipless shoes every 6 months for a new pair.
McNair

Return to Tactical Equipment