A semi afordable solution to plates

Discussion of load-bearing equipment, tactical gear, holsters, BDUs, and other gear related to Airsoft.

Re: A semi afordable solution to plates

Postby McNair » Mon May 14, 2012 6:45 pm

Poebot wrote:I feel that if you put side SAPI plates in the cummerbund, it would seriously dig into your sides, wouldn't it? Isn't that why they put soft armor into the cummerbund, rather than actual plates?

Some people complain of it.
That's why they make after market pouches that attach to the outside to hold the plates.
McNair

Team: N/A

Postby DJ » Mon May 14, 2012 6:52 pm

Jerm_G wrote:
Jerm_G wrote:
-So for years, many have resorted to cardboard, exacto knives and duct tape to make their own (something I myself is guilty of) and tend to work the best compared to what's available.

-This product is not for everyone and will likely only be of interest for the most hardcore of the community’s impressionists. But those who are looking to add a little more realism to their kit, this may be an option.

1: Been discussed.

2: Not for you then.

Realitiy is Junto, some look for more than just the "look". They want to feel what the real person puts them self's through every day on the job. Some have gone as far as to buy real ESAPI plates. A small few like me who have plates for professional reasons. This allows a safe way for these people to use their kits without taking real plates to the field. Not a great idea as they are expencive and subject to catistrophic failure resulting in the loss of a multi hundred dollar investment. These solve that issue wile giving that person the fell and weight of the SAPI plates. If one has never ran and suffered with plates and a full load all day, they are missing out on something. An experiance that will make them think twice on why some choose to run "light".

Suffered is correct. I have never had to wear SAPI plates but I wore body armour for the better part of 25 years. I hated the stuff in the summer time, and sweated buckets every day. I wore it anyway because its cooler than dead. I occasionally wore raid vests with ceramic plates. The first thing we did when any situation was totally under control was get the damn things off. Kudos to you who want to wear the stuff to maintain your readiness level. As for me, I want to be no where near body armour. To those of you who want to wear body armour for airsoft .....well whatever floats your boat.
Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent,
and discerning if he holds his tongue.
DJ
Specops
Specops

Postby DJ » Mon May 14, 2012 7:24 pm

Welshy McSheeplove wrote:I can say that ceramic plates in a plate carrier is no where near as hot or uncomfortable in the summer as a IIA hugger under a uniform shirt.

For what its worth, it was plates over a 3A vest, it sucked. When I see images of those dudes in the sand box with a full load out with full armour, I groan in sympathy. Whatever kind of armour , it all sucks when it gets over about 80 degrees.
DJ
Specops
Specops

Postby DJ » Mon May 14, 2012 7:24 pm

sorry
DJ
Specops
Specops

Postby DJ » Mon May 14, 2012 7:48 pm

Welshy McSheeplove wrote:
DJ wrote:
Not to mention, at least in my experience, regular troops and SWAT guys are using shitty carriers (IBAs, big bulky things that don't breathe at all, etc)

Different people tolerate the heat better than others, Me not so much. I did bike ( as in mtn bike) patrol for 10 years, that was the worst, no respite, no AC'ed cars to escape to. I suffered heat exhaustion several times. For that assignment I wore a IIA. it was the minimum I would wear. The rule of thumb for police is to wear the level that will stop what you carry ( In my case a Glock 17, I also stuck an S&W j frame in the plate pouch). Statistically you are most likely to be shot with your own gun in the good ole USA. (as a cop)
DJ
Specops
Specops

Postby Jerm_G » Mon May 14, 2012 10:22 pm

I have 3A soft armor and 2A armor for work. It all sucks monkey balls. Sadly however most of the carriers that airsofters wear is designed to work with plates. Not having them makes for poor support of the vest and the gear hooked to the carrier. Besides, It would be good for some to experence the suck of wearing plates while running around all day.

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer." -Major I.L. Holdridge USMC
Jerm_G
Soldier
Soldier

Team: AIRSOC

Postby Jewish Ninja » Sun May 27, 2012 7:30 am

Threepeat! AP Gearwhore of the Year.
WWGFD?
Adjective noun is adjective.
Jewish Ninja

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Android » Sun May 27, 2012 8:59 am

Jewish Ninja wrote:Image

"It's nothing to worry about. It's just a fire on my head."
Android
Specops
Specops

Postby spazgar » Mon May 28, 2012 11:18 am

Yeah I'd have to agree with DJ. If you really want to wear the plates that Jerm found good on you. I wore plates when I was in Iraq and they do suck. I would never look down on anyone that wears home made or fake plates, just don't be the one to try to talk shit to someone that is. The plates can cause some serious injuries when your just playing a simple game of airsoft. I myself might buy the plates once I get more money in my budget and if I want to get back into better shape.

Jerm have you purchased any of these plates yet? I'd like to hear from a prior military guy if they're worth buying. But all in all great find for those hard core guys and those that love to train all the time.
spazgar
Grunt
Grunt

Postby warriortrail » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:19 am

All,

Thank you for your interest in Warrior Trail and our products. I'm Greg from Warrior Trail. I'm not here to advertise or market, just to answer questions. Please let me know if there is anything specific I can help you with.

Thanks,
Greg
warriortrail
Recruit
Recruit

Previous

Return to Tactical Equipment