Brand new loadout advice/general discussion.

Discussion of load-bearing equipment, tactical gear, holsters, BDUs, and other gear related to Airsoft.

Brand new loadout advice/general discussion.

Postby Icepick » Tue May 08, 2012 8:12 pm

Well, I've got a birthday coming up, and I'm going to start working here in a few weeks. So hopefully I have the opportunity to put some more money into airsoft and get back into the game. A big part of airsofting (as we all know) is your loadout, for the past few years I've been playing on and off, but have always cut corners and bought cheap shit. Now this has come around to bite me in the a$$, as all of my gear is junky, and falling apart/doesn't work properly.

I want this thread to be kind of a general discussion about what you think I should be purchasing for my new loadout and why. I've already got a set of Multicam, some decent boots, and decent comms. My main focuses are my chest, waist, and knees in terms of gear. (I could also go for a new pair of boots, but it isn't necessary.)

Please give me some ideas and recommendations!
Please disregard any previous posts made by this user.
Icepick
Ranger
Ranger

Team: N/A

Re: Brand new loadout advice/general discussion.

Postby Cloudyrains » Tue May 08, 2012 8:27 pm

Stuff that you like and works for you.

nuff said.
Cloudyrains
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Sir Stubby Eyre » Tue May 08, 2012 8:36 pm

On the comms issue. We, Camp R&R, bought 10 Trisquare radios about a year ago, in that year we have had trouble with 3 of them. The main thing is that they do not transmit any more. As a secondary problem the range is not as good as they advertise, I cannot reach from one end of the property to the other, about a mile, they advertised like 2 miles or so (I don't remember exactly, old age you know). I know that these where not the top of the line, but I thought that I would pass along my experience.

Stubby out
Sir Stubby Eyre
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Sir Stubby Eyre » Tue May 08, 2012 8:52 pm

I had to go look, yes they are. TriSquare eXRS model # tsx100 http://www.trisquare.us/tsx100.htm
Sir Stubby Eyre
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Jester316 » Tue May 08, 2012 9:30 pm

The TriSquare radios transmit .5W of power. Watts of power = range. Legally, you cannot transmit more then .5W of power on FRS channels (however, good luck finding anyone willing to enforce that law). Add into that the signal bouncing off objects, and non-line of sight use, they are equal in terms of performance to cheap Motorola or Midland bubble pack radios. They only thing they have going for them is that they are on 900mhz instead of 400mhz. But this is also a drawback in that you can't communicate with anyone else who does not have a TriSquare radio.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Catch22 » Tue May 08, 2012 9:55 pm

He said he already had decent comms....

I'd suggest a FLYEE or Pantac plate carrier. They both make good vests for a decent price.
Catch22

Postby Diegunner » Tue May 08, 2012 10:36 pm

I'm a fan of pantac but tell you the truth my condor stuff has lasted just as well and it's a good deal cheaper
Diegunner
Soldier
Soldier

Postby newboots » Tue May 08, 2012 10:39 pm

If you want cheap yet good i went with a Task force one mopc it hasnt given me any problems
semper cum honore
always with honor
newboots
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ogrejager » Tue May 08, 2012 11:23 pm

You know, honestly, you won't ever be able to make the right decision by asking people on the internet.

Go to a game. Look at a bunch of gear. Ask a bunch of questions. See what you like.

Buy that. This internet thing is sometimes given too much credit.

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Postby Jerm_G » Wed May 09, 2012 12:29 am

There are stickys in the gear section that cover this issue. Read them and then do your own research. This question gets asked almost every other week. If you have spacific questions, you will get better answers.

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer." -Major I.L. Holdridge USMC
Jerm_G
Soldier
Soldier

Team: AIRSOC

Postby Jewish Ninja » Wed May 09, 2012 4:36 am

Get the Pantac EPC clone package. It can be had off rsov.com in any color/size you want for about $200 shipped. Comes with pouches as well.

As for boots, look for some Keens or Merril hiking shoes. Much lighter and very comfy.
Threepeat! AP Gearwhore of the Year.
WWGFD?
Adjective noun is adjective.
Jewish Ninja

Postby Sir Stubby Eyre » Wed May 09, 2012 6:10 am

Sorry about that Catch, I just scanned his message and saw "looking for info on gear....comms".

For knee pads. I have used several different kinds during construction and they all act about the same, but the more expensive = more comfort, they also last longer. Some advice on them would be to sew tabs or Velcro on your uniform so that they do not sag down your legs, also the straps they come with tend to bunch up and irritate the back of your knee area.
Sir Stubby Eyre
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby oki-san » Wed May 09, 2012 11:42 am

Biggest piece of advice for gear is to try it for yourself. go find a tactical gear store if you can find one and check stuff out there or better yet, take ogrejagers advice and go to a game, mingle, introduce yourself and ask questions about gear.

The last thing you want happening is to hear a lot of great things about a piece of kit only to find out that your the one person on earth its not made for.
oki-san
Soldier
Soldier

Return to Tactical Equipment