Ditching mesh goggles for good.

Discussion of load-bearing equipment, tactical gear, holsters, BDUs, and other gear related to Airsoft.

Re: Ditching mesh goggles for good.

Postby Jerm_G » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:53 pm

Sawfly makes good glasses as well. Personally Im an Oakley fan boy. They have served me well over the the last 9 years of military service, shooting, running, biking and just about everything else I have managed to throw at them. They have survived being dropped, thrown, hit by shrapnell, and even a pair of my half jackets survived being run over by a 20 ton LAV. Eyes are expencive and you only get one pair so invest wisely. All of the bellow are good to go, certified for military use, and most have interchangable lenses. You get what you pay for in glasses. Cat crap (product not the poo) works ok as an anti-fog tool.

Links as follows:

Revision Sawfly
http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?p ... catid=3079

ESS Ice-Tactical Kit
http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?p ... catid=3079

Oakley
https://secure.usstandardissue.com/Prod ... .cfm?id=10
https://secure.usstandardissue.com/Prod ... cfm?id=357
https://secure.usstandardissue.com/Prod ... cfm?id=120

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer." -Major I.L. Holdridge USMC
Jerm_G
Soldier
Soldier

Team: AIRSOC

Postby Junto » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:06 am

gprather wrote:
EDIT: at Junto: I like my eyes to much to let mesh destroy them with shards of bio-BB and the fogging issue is extremely minor with new good pair of shooting glasses. I used mesh a few times, and that was all it took to figure out they were not all they're hyped up to be. You have no visibility at night, most iron sights get all finicky with them (especially M16 day sight), and they allow things past them way to easily. Not to mention if you decided to splurge, you can't get corrective lenses for mesh, however glasses have all kinds of flavors with prescription lenses in them. Hell Smith has a whole line of sports glasses specifically made for prescriptions.

And I've had plenty of Bio-BBs hit me square in the lens with no issue, indoors and out. My visibility at night is just fine, and I have no trouble using my iron sights. If mesh didn't work well for eye protection (and letting little things past them), there wouldn't be "chainsaw mesh". I don't know what mesh eye-pro you tried, but I've been wearing mine for years and I'll be lost without them whenever they finally break or get lost. It's like you guys tried one vegetable and decided you didn't like any of them.
Junto

Team: DRAT

Postby Nimrod » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:27 am

It looks like people get about the same amount of use from low end-goggles as they do high-end. Although I doubt mine could survive a 20 ton LAV. Most people still benifet from using anti fog of some kind. I've had good results from the wipes AONW sells. http://www.airsoftoutletnw.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=2138&category_id=115&keyword=fog&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=28 Dont give up on mesh completly though, their good to have as a backup when it rains.
"What we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down"-Mary Pickford
Nimrod
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Postby ogrejager » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:28 am

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Nobody has fogging issues like a diver. Dive shops sell a product called Sea Drops. It's more expensive than you'd like, but since you need 4 drops a day, it last forever. It. Doesn't. Fog.

As for the actual goggle--I don't use them for airsoft but I've had good nonfog luck with my ESS dual pane antifog goggles when I'm fighting wildfires. I, though, for airsoft simply use safety glasses with Sea Drops. It's better than Jester's soap thing. Next game (LOW), ask to try it. We'll apply it the lenses of whatever you're wearing and you can see for yourself if it works.

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Matt » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:48 am

If you aren't buying goggles with a fan - there's no reason NOT to buy cheap a$$ goggles or shooting glasses as long as they are ANSI rated. They're made of the same damn shit. What matters for fogging is a) air flow and b) the crap you smear on your goggles to prevent fogging. So you can buy name brand glasses that you'll probably just lose or step on, they're still gonna fog, or you can just get $5 walmart shooting glasses. They're expendable.

Personally, I've gone mesh and I'll never go back. Until I hear less speculation and more accounts of actual injuries as a result of shattered BBs... I'm going to continue to use mesh. I don't even see the mesh anymore, I barely notice it. But it's awful for taking photographs, so I usually keep a couple pairs of standard clear shooting glasses around for that.

Comparing specific goggle brands with solid lenses on the "amount of fogging" is pretty stupid if you think about it. Fogging lenses have several factors. The shape of your face and the air flow path. The headgear you wear. Your physical shape. How hydrated are you. The weather conditions outside. It's going to completely vary depending on the wearer and the conditions. You try things until you find something that works for you.

If you need corrective lenses, get Lasik. It will change your Airsoft life. Nothing sucks more than having to wear 2 layers of glasses on the field. I've been there and done that. If you aren't eligible for Lasik, may God have mercy on your soul.
Matt

Team: APST

Postby ogrejager » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:58 am

Matt wrote:If you aren't eligible for Lasik, may God have mercy on your soul.

F you, Matt.

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Applegate__Airsoft » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:37 pm

Hamster wrote:
thespicydonut wrote:im usually runing away from the adults with freaking awsome guns

cute kitty.

a$$
Applegate__Airsoft
Grunt
Grunt

Postby wake.joe » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:52 pm

Just for the record-
At PTOC there were two people who got pieces of BB's to the eyes wearing the green, full face, mesh-eyed masks.
Both incidents involved Airsplat BIO BB's.
wake.joe
Ranger
Ranger

Postby gprather » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:07 pm

viewtopic.php?t=36899
'Skyhawk' wrote:Mesh is acceptable for use but they are not as safe as solid lenses. I have taken a shot to the mesh before, and gotten BB shrapnel in my eyes from the BB exploding against the mesh. Believe me this not an isolated case. That was the last time I wore mesh.

Actually some mesh goggles even state on the packaging to wear safety glasses under them.

I now use ESS Profile turbofan goggles. They are amazing. The fan keeps the lens fog free, and the lens is thick yet crystal clear. No distortion or wavy artifacts in the PC glass at all. They can withstand a shotgun blast at 30 Ft. and require no anti-fog application to stay clear.

If you must defog though, I have found a product called "Defog It" that works great.

BB's break on mesh all the time. There was a case not long ago by another AP member who got shrapnel in his eye (can't find the source), and it messed his eye up. Most cases happen at indoor places that allow bio ammo(not surprising given the range). It's not speculation that you can get shrapnel in your eyes from mesh. If you wear mesh you run the risk of getting BB shrapnel in your eyes. It might not be the most common thing in the world but it's not uncommon.
ImageImage
gprather
Soldier
Soldier

Team: [ODK]

Postby Matt » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:22 pm

Yeah but are these debilitating eye injuries? I've heard plenty of stories about people getting something in their eye. That happens all the time. Go to the coast sometime when there's high winds, you'll get sand in your eyes. It's unpleasant but you aren't going to go blind. When a BB shatters on impact it's losing the majority of it's force. What you get in your eye is no different than rocks, sand, dirt or whatever else you might get in your eye doing any sort of physical activity outdoors.

I'm not saying the "shrapnel" is speculation, the INJURY is speculation. You have a story that you've heard, some dude's eye got messed up. Did he see an eye doctor? Did he suffer any long term vision loss? There's the speculation.
Matt

Team: APST

Postby Switchback » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:00 pm

Don't use snowboarding goggles, they may not be rated for impact.

I use a pair of S&W shooting glasses in conjunction with a pair of Arena Flakjaks swung up on my helmet. One fogs, I switch to the other; rinse and repeat. I'd recommend always having two pairs on you in the field to perform the switch either at spawn, or with your face buried in the ground behind cover.

Flakjaks:
http://www.combatsportsupply.com/blowou ... ggles.aspx

S&W:
http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/smitwesmagcl1.html

I've also used the S&W model "Magnum" (oooh, sensual) for as long as I can remember as my shooting eyepro of choice. Very comfortable, and they offer a lot of protection.

EDIT:

ogrejager wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again. Nobody has fogging issues like a diver. Dive shops sell a product called Sea Drops. It's more expensive than you'd like, but since you need 4 drops a day, it last forever. It. Doesn't. Fog.

http://www.mcnett.com/Sea-Drops-Anti-Fo ... -P232.aspx

Ordered. Many thanks.
"I have the cutest dog."
Switchback

Postby Icepick » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:59 pm

Thank you all for contributing, as well as giving your opinion of mesh goggles vs. plastic eye pro. My decision has ultimately come down to 2 pairs of goggles, which I will be using with Sea Drops.

ESS Turbofan goggles:

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.p ... ts_id=7988

and Revision Desert Locust fan goggles:

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.p ... ts_id=7613

My gut is telling me to go with the Revision goggles, but I'd like to get some second opinions.

Thank you!
Please disregard any previous posts made by this user.
Icepick
Ranger
Ranger

Previous

Return to Tactical Equipment