Plates for EPC

Discussion of load-bearing equipment, tactical gear, holsters, BDUs, and other gear related to Airsoft.

Plates for EPC

Postby JoKeR1147 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:08 pm

So right now I'm running SAPI plates in my EPC, but I've just been offered a pair of super cheap ESAPI plates. My question is, for the EPC are ESAPI plates better than SAPI plates for the EPC?

P.S. Can anybody answer this question for the Vel-tye Hugger? What kind of plates are best for it?
JoKeR1147
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Re: Plates for EPC

Postby spazgar » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:16 pm

So your running real SAPI plates? If so I would go buy the fake ones that Jerm posted up cause thats a lot of money if you brake them, which you can do. To answer your question though ESAPI plates are better due to the curve they have but I believe that they're a little more heavier but not by to much.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=39392#p647824
spazgar
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Jewish Ninja » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:14 pm

ESAPIs are a bit heavier than SAPIs, and depending on the manufacture, might be a bit thicker. I wouldn't use them for airsoft, just stick some training plates in. Unless of course you want to break your plates.
Threepeat! AP Gearwhore of the Year.
WWGFD?
Adjective noun is adjective.
Jewish Ninja

Team: SpecDet1

Postby JoKeR1147 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:15 pm

Do you know if the site you linked has an option to buy a plate set? like the site list an ESAPI plate as being $58 Dollars each, is that just for 1 plate or a set of 2? So would it be 58 total or 116 total?
JoKeR1147
Grunt
Grunt

Postby NFS_Shadow » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:28 am

Buy fake plates as suggested. If you want realism you can do like i plan. Spray the foam insulation into fake plates and add lead weights evenly as you go to create proper weight distribution. this also solves the problem of your plastic plates crushing and sounding well hollow when hit with bbs.
Cloudy rains: "I am the master handjob-man."

"Well we're surrounded. They can't get away this time"
- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC
NFS_Shadow
Ranger
Ranger

Team: 56Th

Postby McNair » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:51 am

Welshy McSheeplove wrote:If I remember right, the price listed is per plate, not for the pair.

Is that confirmed?
We had asked about it but never got an answer because in the description it says "Plate set includes...." basically both front, back, and sides.
and ther'es no option for a "plate set".
McNair

Postby Jerm_G » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:26 am

My order hasn't shown yet and untill someone emailed me yesterday asking about them, I totally forgot I oredered them. Will fire something off on monday to the manufacture asking WTF,over. But in answering the poster's original quetion, I have an EPC and do own ESAPI's. Yes they work in your EPC, just fit tighter. I think I mentioned this before, but the difference from SAPIs to ESAPIs is stopping rating. SAPIs are thinner and lighter but require 3A soft armor backings to stop larger rifle rounds and are not rated for multi hits. ESAPIs are rated for impacts up to 7.62x51 AP with no backers and are 3 or 5 round(I forget) muliti-hit for 5.56/7.62x39 AP. X-SAPIs are the only real concern for fit, almost 2x the thickness of standard SAPIs, stupid heavy, and rated for 10 rounds per square inch impacts and 3 rounds of 7.62x51mm AP.

Here is the comparison using the certified rating for body armor. (wich the military does not use)

SAPI....... lvl3/4 with 3A soft armor backings
ESAPI...... lvl 4 stand alone (no backings but if used, there would be a increased level of protection abet not alot)
XSAPI...... exceeds testing standards

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer." -Major I.L. Holdridge USMC
Jerm_G
Soldier
Soldier

Team: AIRSOC

Return to Tactical Equipment