Importance of squad gear conformity?

Discussion of load-bearing equipment, tactical gear, holsters, BDUs, and other gear related to Airsoft.

Importance of squad gear conformity?

Postby bye » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:19 am

Hi guys, I've got a question that my team mate and I are working on. We're trying to build a SEAL-esque (SOF of some sort) gear set and be relatively compatible. Our current prediction is...

Gear

Boonie cap-MC
Combat shirt(Crye, Massif, etc.) ACM okay-MC
Combat Pants(Crye) ACM okay-MC
Vest in OD/RG or CB(Preferably a lightweight style, JPC, MOPC, RRV)
Black or tan 8" boots

Primary Weapon
M4A1
M16A3/4
SCAR-L
ACR
HK416

Secondary(Must choose 1 for whole squad)
M1911 Single stack
M92F/S
GLOCK 17
P226

Opinions? The idea is to be able to share mags without worrying about compatibility.
Bye.
bye
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Re: Importance of squad unity?

Postby ogrejager » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:50 am

What's your question?

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Team: SpecDet1

Postby bye » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:46 am

I guess I wasn't clear. Should we take the time to buy magazine specific primaries and secondaries? The other question is does the gear we've chosen fit for a SOF-style load out?
Bye.
bye
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Variable » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:51 am

Being magazine compatible with your battle buddies is a very good idea.

Also read this:
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=34032

Welcome to AP.
Variable

Team: APST

Re: Importance of squad gear conformity?

Postby bye » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:22 am

Thanks, Variable. I'm reading it now.
Bye.
bye
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Matt » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:34 am

I would say it's more important in real-world scenarios, because we don't often carry thousands of rounds like we do in Airsoft. Real bullets are heavy. In Airsoft we can just over-compensate by carrying more ammo and more magazines when we use an odd-ball platform. Plus we've got hi-caps, mid-caps, etc. However, it is nice to have some uniformity in choice of weapon platform if your gun goes down and you need to borrow another one, then you don't generally need to swap out mags in your vest.
Matt

Team: APST

Postby bye » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:49 am

For us, we only want run run mid caps, and maybe eventually even 30rd mags. I personally already run low caps when possible.
Bye.
bye
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Darius137 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:38 am

The most important thing to being uniform is the head gear / cover.

Make everyone wear helmets, and make them the same helmet (ACH/MICH2000, or CVC/2002, or whatever). Make the helmets all with helmet cover, or all painted the same color.

Or if you do soft covers, everyone in boonies or patrol caps. Baseball caps are kinda played out.

Also, for gear, try to get everyone in the same color of gear, and either have everyone in light rigs (battle belts, chest rigs), or with armor (PACA underneath, plate carrier).

Weapons are not as important, but there are themes, such as Russian or NATO weapon systems.
Member of Rushing Russians KBДB (Cascadian VDV/Airborne) chapter.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/KEBAB.PARTY/
Darius137

Team: RR KBAB

Postby Junto » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:13 pm

Weapon requirements are shitty to have, just because people get butthurt about not getting that one odd replica they really want.

Aside from that, the gear list is easy enough to get people to adhere to.
Junto

Team: DRAT

Postby Panther [TFW-W02] » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:33 pm

Develop an SOP, the uniformity adds to your combat effectiveness and cohesiveness. If you want a "SF or seal-esque" kit, then there are a lot of discussions on this forum about what kit is legit and what weapon systems to run. Just keep in mind the cost of your kit and if all members of your team can afford them. If you have more specific questions about proper kitlists and weapons, you can PM me. My team is currently amassing a modern SEAL kit. Best of luck in your endeavor.

Panther
Panther [TFW-W02]
Grunt
Grunt

Team: T.F.W.

Postby bye » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:40 pm

Welshy McSheeplove wrote:
Junto wrote:Weapon requirements are shitty to have, just because people get butthurt about not getting that one odd replica they really want.

And, at least in my experience, the people that phony pony about not being able to use their uber 4 inch CQC AUG Patriot M4 gun are the same people that are going to phony pony about uniform and gear requirements.

That's not a real gun, right? I've heard of Patriot front ends though.. U.S. Military standard M4 is this..?

M4A1 14.5" KAC/DD RIS with a PEQ15, vert. foregrip, LE stock, AimPoint, or EOTECH 551/2? PMAGs are optional? What about MOE stocks and pistol grips?
Bye.
bye
Soldier
Soldier

Postby bye » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:09 pm

Those are some awesome pics there. Seems like they've got a shitload of pouches compared to me with my JPC. All I have is a mag pouch and accessory pouch that acts as a radio pouch.

Kinda off-topic, is there regulation on the holster you use for whatever handgun you're issued? Do ANY U.S. military branches still use the M1911 in any variant? I'm considering trying to mount my handgun across my front.
Bye.
bye
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Gator » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:00 am

Arent there still MEUs still using the M1911? I thought i heard it on the military channel or youtube or somewhere. Im not sure but is it true?
Gator
Soldier
Soldier

Team: 5 Reg.

Postby Snake_Eyes » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:10 am

The 1911 is still being issued to Army SOF units depending on their preference or to a senior member on the team because they are used to it. As Welshy has said there are multitudes of different "loadouts" and SOPs because there are multiple ODAs out there. It goes to personal preference and keeping everything as LIGHT as possible. There are guys here that try to lower their weight by the ounce. They are the exception but you get my point.

Baseball caps are over done and the guys here using them have had them for years. You can see the sweat and salt deposites in the brim and most have holes. My buddy Marcus has had his since he joined the teams and its literally falling apart. Its a goodluck charm though.

Get a patrol cap and break it in. Cut out the first layer inside the cap and break it in like a baseball cap. Wear it relaxed and you'll look fine.

For weapons systems make sure your team is outfitted for the typical roles of an ODA. 18C, 18E, 18D, 18B. They each have a different role and their gear will reflect it.You typically won't know you're looking at an 18F....spooky bleeding bastard
My sword runs at 450 FPS, try to out run that! 35+ Sword/Knife Kills and counting.
Snake_Eyes
Specops
Specops

Return to Tactical Equipment