In ear or over ear headsets?

Discussion of load-bearing equipment, tactical gear, holsters, BDUs, and other gear related to Airsoft.

In ear or over ear headsets?

Postby bye » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:31 pm

Hi guys, I'm asking if you, the users, prefer to have your comms be inside your ear(Secret Service style is what I call it) or outside your ear with big headsets? What are the pros and cons of each? My squad is a recon squad, so we will want to be able to be quiet, be able to hear others around us and hear what's happening on the waves. Also, we'd also like to get an idea of good but cheap radios that can be had for ~$30 that will take AA or AAAs or rechargeable packs.
Bye.
bye
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Re: In ear or over ear headsets?

Postby McNair » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:41 pm

I prefer over the ear.
After a bit earbuds start hurting my ear.
McNair

Postby bye » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:45 pm

McNair wrote:I prefer over the ear.

Do over ears reduce the ability to hear surrounding movement at all?
Bye.
bye
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Russkie » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:58 pm

I've had good luck with over ear. I can hear the outside better and doesn't fall off as easily as the inner ear ones. Honestly in airsoft to be super sneaky and quiet you don't need to use headset radios. I've been using a radio without a headset for the past year and I've had no problems. If I am close to my fireteam or squad I just whistle or whisper and use handarm signals.
Russkie
Ranger
Ranger

Postby icebullet » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:01 pm

BattleField wrote:
McNair wrote:I prefer over the ear.

Do over ears reduce the ability to hear surrounding movement at all?

Not if you buy the right pair.

For instance, the Comtac or Sordin series (Liberators, and other rebuild/rebrands) all have integral microphones on the outside to provide heightened hearing. They also sense loud noises that cut the enhanced hearing. It's quite easy to hear things while wearing them. But they do have a tendency to "crush" your head and make it hurt after a while. But with special headborne systems (ala Ops-Core x Comtac), you don't feel that.

I like my Sordins, but if you buy the wrong ones (Like I did) expect to pay some cash for getting them converted for normal PTT use with other radios other than a MBITR.
(21:12:32) Ivan_Daylovich: It's our hate that brings us together.

Call the surgeons and tell them to take the day off, because I'll be doing all the operating now.

There's a point where this needs to stop, and we've clearly passed it
icebullet
Soldier
Soldier

Postby McNair » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:15 pm

I wear a single headset so my hearing is not affected much.

I've talked to plenty of people with Sordins or Comtacs that end up turning the enhanced hearing mic or whatever off and it picks up too much background noise.
Last edited by McNair on Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McNair

Postby N_Tracer » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:30 pm

Once I have used PELTOR that my friend gave me for a time.
And I would say tht it's amazing! It cuts outside noises and high level sounds. But you can hear everybody even if they will whisper to you. But he said it cost 200$
My opinion that the active over ear headset is the best choice. But you must buy only original. Chineese replica is worst and can be damaged fast.
N_Tracer
Grunt
Grunt

Postby bye » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:25 pm

N_Tracer wrote:Once I have used PELTOR that my friend gave me for a time.
And I would say tht it's amazing! It cuts outside noises and high level sounds. But you can hear everybody even if they will whisper to you. But he said it cost 200$
My opinion that the active over ear headset is the best choice. But you must buy only original. Chineese replica is worst and can be damaged fast.

Yeah, I don't have $200. Nor do my squadmates. At least not for a mere headset. Any good REPLICAS anyone? Our comms budget is ~$50.
Bye.
bye
Soldier
Soldier

Postby N_Tracer » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:27 pm

Watch this one http://www.ebairsoft.com/tactical-zsord ... -3502.html
My team leader own them. He said they have some problems with volume control. It some times turns off volume to zero position. That's a problem. But he ordered them when they were just released. he said that now they must have been debuged. But no one knows exactly.

In the rane of 50$ over ear headset solution is only Bowman i guess... but it's not active as i know. So there's no noise cut, no volume control...
N_Tracer
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Android » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:00 pm

N_Tracer wrote:In the rane of 50$ over ear headset solution is only Bowman i guess... but it's not active as i know. So there's no noise cut, no volume control...

The good news is that if you're not dealing with reports from real firearms you won't need to worry about hearing protection. :)

I like the Bowman-style for Airsofting because they don't completely cover the ear, which allows you to hear the surrounding environment while still hearing whoever's talking on the radio.
"It's nothing to worry about. It's just a fire on my head."
Android
Specops
Specops

Postby Farmer » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:19 pm

I use the in ear headset at work every day. To me, the get uncomfortable after a short time and start to hurt if worn constantly for more then 4 hours or so. It may be just the shape of my ear, maybe its the plastic but there is my 2 cents worth.

I suggest trying to find on over ear headset. Might be harder to find ones that will work with whatever comms set you choose, but hey the price we pay for comfort.

As for the com units them selves. You should look into the Midland or talk-about type radios. Granted, not very "mil-sim" very much a radio that just is there. But at the price range of $35-80 ish range, for a pair, do-able.
Farmer

Its a game....have fun or find something you do have fun at
Farmer
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ogrejager » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:27 pm

The in-ear style works fine for me. I have no discomfort wearing it all day and sometimes forget to take it out at the end of the game.

I'm buying a set of Sordins in a week. I duck hunt and 4-5 times a year somebody's shotgun goes off too close to my ear. Sordins seem like they'll fix this problem. I'll be able to hunt, talk, hear, and then still have ear protection when the guns go off. But they're out of your price range.

For your price range, get Midland radios and whatever cheap headset or earbuds you want to wear. Realistically, some of you will probably prefer one or the other. Try each style. I don't recommend the throat mikes and make sure they're PTT.

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Solid » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:59 pm

Personally, like Mcnair said the in ear sets hurt my ear after a while, and on ear bug the hell out of me. Over the ear have been the best in my experience, but (I know it's a shitty response) it's personal preference and how your ear is shaped.
Solid

Team: DRAT

Postby bye » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:57 pm

Well, I found when gaming online, headsets start to feel weird(I've tried orig. xbox and a few other audio-jack headsets). My iPod earbuds are okay, but fall out easily..
Bye.
bye
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Orwell » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:25 am

"Frogman" headsets. Already mentioned, I think, but they're great. Xbox headsets are cheap, flimsy, and provide a piss-poor experience. You'll notice all the gamers who game for more than fits'n'giggles get something better.

I've found reasonably priced Chinese replica headsets, and even heard a good thing about one or two of them. Nothing in-ear is going to be comfortable over time unless you get a mold specific to your ear. That can be done, and without exorbitant cost, but not for "cheap".
Orwell
Ranger
Ranger

Next

Return to Tactical Equipment