M-Pact 2 or 3 or other protective gloves?

Discussion of load-bearing equipment, tactical gear, holsters, BDUs, and other gear related to Airsoft.

M-Pact 2 or 3 or other protective gloves?

Postby Frosty126 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:10 pm

I've been playing with some half finger gloves and they just aren't doing it (I've bled from a point blank shot as well as having blue nails). I've been looking at these Mechanix M-Pact 2 and 3 gloves as well as the Underarmor Gloves (too expensive though): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMGuX9ttJqU

What I'm mainly looking for is some nice protective gloves that will reduce these nail shots/bleeding incidences to whelts/red spots while still maintaining dexterity. I was originally looking at those hard plastic top gloves, but they don't seem to retain the leather level of dexterity.

After some searching I found these gloves:

M-Pact 3
http://www.mechanix.com/m-pact-3-glove

M-Pact 2
http://www.mechanix.com/m-pact-2-glove

Does anyone have any other gloves that would be appropriate for CQB as well as 550 FPS Field Games (preventing bleeding that is)? Also between M-Pact 2 and 3 what do you guys think? I'm leaning towards the 3, but it seems a bit bulky... Would that come up as an issue?

PS: As far as 550 FPS Field Games go would I need more than 1 layer of BDU (pants/shirt)? I have a mesh tac vest as well.
Would this helmet hold up as well? http://www.amazon.com/JT-Flex-8-Head-Gu ... B00083DEUM
Frosty126
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Re: M-Pact 2 or 3 or other protective gloves?

Postby Nark » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:11 pm

Gloves aren't gonna help with getting shot in the hand. Gloves are more to protect your hands from the environment you might be crawling through. I wear the regular M-Pacts and they work just fine. Having hard knuckle gloves works well if you're bumping up against doorframes and/or trees. Trying to protect against hand shots isn't really worth it. Or go buy plate mail gloves.

Also there are no 550 FPS games. All aegs are 400. Snipers are anything above but semi only. Wearing a full paintball helmet will get in the way of getting a good cheek weld. Wearing goggles is often enough. If you're really worried get a mesh lower mask. Still hurts when you get shot but at least you're not losing teeth.

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?c ... s_id=39702
I had this one and it was still really annoying.

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?c ... s_id=33217
I have this one but only use it for CQB or when required.
Nark wrote:This is gonna sound dickish but whatever I'll be that guy...
Nark
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Frosty126 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:01 pm

Nark wrote:Gloves aren't gonna help with getting shot in the hand. Gloves are more to protect your hands from the environment you might be crawling through. I wear the regular M-Pacts and they work just fine. Having hard knuckle gloves works well if you're bumping up against doorframes and/or trees. Trying to protect against hand shots isn't really worth it. Or go buy plate mail gloves.

Also there are no 550 FPS games. All aegs are 400. Snipers are anything above but semi only. Wearing a full paintball helmet will get in the way of getting a good cheek weld. Wearing goggles is often enough. If you're really worried get a mesh lower mask. Still hurts when you get shot but at least you're not losing teeth.

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?c ... s_id=39702
I had this one and it was still really annoying.

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?c ... s_id=33217
I have this one but only use it for CQB or when required.

I appreciate the response. Would you go with an M-Pact 2 or 3? I'm sort of leaning towards the 3.

For now I am stuck with this helmet - do you think a 550 FPS Bolt will crack my mask or should I be good to go?

By 550 FPS I mean Bolt Action - I understand that the FPS cap on AEGs is 400.
Frosty126
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Orwell » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:33 pm

Personally, I find that hard knuckles sacrifice more flexibility than they provide in protection for outdoor games. For indoors, again, hard knuckles can be nice but I much prefer the flexibility of a soft knuckle. I wear standard Mechanix gloves, usually, but the M-Pact 2 gloves would work nicely as well.
Orwell
Ranger
Ranger

Postby code789 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:28 pm

if you care about safety you cannot "think" its safe to use. either take a airsoft gun that shoots over 550fps and shoot it pointblank or find out if its rated up to ANSI Z87.1 standards. generally speaking though paintball mask are safe for airsoft since paintball delivers an average energy of about 14 joules where as the AP safety rules limits the muzzle energy to under 3 joules

as for the gloves try to find if anyplace in your local area sells them and try it out for yourself, when you select gear it should be what feels and operates best for you not what the majority of the community vote on.
Sic vis pacem, para bellum
long live the republic
code789
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Nark » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:50 pm

code789 wrote:as for the gloves try to find if anyplace in your local area sells them and try it out for yourself, when you select gear it should be what feels and operates best for you not what the majority of the community vote on.

+1
Nark
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Frosty126 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:32 pm

Orwell wrote:Personally, I find that hard knuckles sacrifice more flexibility than they provide in protection for outdoor games. For indoors, again, hard knuckles can be nice but I much prefer the flexibility of a soft knuckle. I wear standard Mechanix gloves, usually, but the M-Pact 2 gloves would work nicely as well.

Would you consider M-Pact 3 to be hard knuckle then?

Also - does anyone know of any shops that sell Mechanix M-Pact 3/2 Gloves so I can try them on rather than buying them on Amazon?
Frosty126
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Orwell » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:34 pm

No, they're not "hard knuckle". They're padded. I believe Lowe's may carry the gloves, as might Auto Zone. If you're going into a store, though, be ready to pay store prices. Don't be that jerk who goes to a store to try on stuff and then orders from Amazon.
Orwell
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Nark » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:42 pm

I've seen the M-Pact 2s at Lowes before but they're are kinda maroon/brownish color. Never seen M-Pact 3s. Not at auto stores or Lowes/Home Depot. Be careful with Mechanix cause the sizing is different per glove. My M-Pact Mechanix Original are both size Medium 9 but the M-Pact are larger.
Nark
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Switchback » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:58 pm

M-pact II all the way. My pair has been chewed up hard for going on 4 years, and I am incredibly happy with the fit and durability. Great for covering my white hands, and for mild protection as well as tacti-cool-ness.
"I have the cutest dog."
Switchback

Return to Tactical Equipment