Boot suggestions

Discussion of load-bearing equipment, tactical gear, holsters, BDUs, and other gear related to Airsoft.

Boot suggestions

Postby EnarahRovaaniik » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:04 am

Hello, I'm looking for some new boots as my current ones aren't quite working for me. I don't want to have to spend much more than $100. Right now I'm looking at 5.11 TacLites, New Balance 977s, and some of the Converse boots. I mainly want something durable and light, any suggestions?
Thanks
EnarahRovaaniik
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Re: Boot suggestions

Postby Switchback » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:35 am

Switchback wrote:
Switchback wrote:Image

These are my Boots: 8-inch Danner Strikers, size 9.
I bought these to replace my $19 Response Gear boots (which were the greatest footwear choice since the Vibram Five-Fingers).
I was told at Wholesale Sports they were Danner's "old model" so I got them for $80. Incredible deal. I wear them every day--it took about 2 weeks to break them in perfectly, and my only complaint is that one of the laces broke (not a big deal, just get more laces; you've been warned). I use them both indoors (school/everyday wear) and usually 2-3 times a week out in the forest. They have great traction indoor, and have a non-marking sole. I've used them 3 times at OAA in the past month, my only complaint is that the leather softens up and attracts grey dust :)
I oilded them up and cleaned them a few days ago so they look pretty gucci. Gore-Tex is breathable and very useful in the PacNW.

You should buy a pair :)

Hope this was somewhat useful.

Still wearing them! They hold up very well to all sorts of use and abuse. Traction is still great, no squeaking or seam problems, and the insoles are still comfortable.

That was in February. Still kicking. I'm considering a new pair that isn't black leather because cleaning is no fun. That's my only gripe. Other than that... great boots. I think they become more comfortable with every mile.
"I have the cutest dog."
Switchback

Postby ogrejager » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:17 am

Switchback, I agree.

I've got three pairs of Danners. I used to have two. After 7 years of firefighting, hunting, and general wear my pair of Danner Quarrys started to have the stitching between the sole and the leather wear out. I took them into the Danner factory store by the airport (yeah, where they're MADE. Leatherman and Danner within 3 miles of each other) and said, "Can you fix this?"

The answer was, "We could, but your leather is trashed anyway, too. Here's 25% off a new pair of boots if you want it." Alright, sold. Got to keep the old pair as kick arounds, too.

To the OP--Danners may be a bit outside your target price range, but there's nothing like having comfortable boots. It's like having a redhead instead of a brunette. They'll go anywhere and do anything...and it'll be fun.

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Team: SpecDet1

Postby EnarahRovaaniik » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:48 pm

Thanks guys, I'll look into some Danners then.
EnarahRovaaniik
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Switchback » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:13 am

ogrejager wrote:Switchback, I agree.

I've got three pairs of Danners. I used to have two. After 7 years of firefighting, hunting, and general wear my pair of Danner Quarrys started to have the stitching between the sole and the leather wear out. I took them into the Danner factory store by the airport (yeah, where they're MADE. Leatherman and Danner within 3 miles of each other) and said, "Can you fix this?"

The answer was, "We could, but your leather is trashed anyway, too. Here's 25% off a new pair of boots if you want it." Alright, sold. Got to keep the old pair as kick arounds, too.

To the OP--Danners may be a bit outside your target price range, but there's nothing like having comfortable boots. It's like having a redhead instead of a brunette. They'll go anywhere and do anything...and it'll be fun.

I'm getting pretty close myself to heading in there, the deals and service have long been alluring. However, there is something else that you touched on I want to make sure everybody sees...

Also, I've thrown that SAME post down in like, three other threads because Danner is the best.

Sweet success.
"I have the cutest dog."
Switchback

Postby ogrejager » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:05 pm

Switchback wrote:

Sweet success.

Your dog still doesn't hunt.

ogrejager

Postby Switchback » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:23 pm

ogrejager wrote:
Switchback wrote:

Sweet success.

Your dog still doesn't hunt.

My dog barely walks :(

Too old.

Not saying age is a bad thing... but, um, er...
Damn. Gotta stop digging these holes.
"I have the cutest dog."
Switchback

Postby dos_Santos » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:08 pm

What would be your main use for your boots? If you want something light weight, the Danner Tachyon's (~28 oz) or the Nike SFB's (16 oz), are good options. I work for Nike, so that's where my experience lies, but I have been wearing two pairs for over 3 years in both cold and wet, and hot and dry conditions with no complaints. I mainly use them for airsoft or camping occasionally. Not the most rugged boot out there, but that was never their purpose-built mission.
I do hope that after all this discreditable shuffling we may be taken into action. It has a wonderful way of reconciling a man with himself: and with everybody else, sometimes. - 1st Lt. James Dillon
dos_Santos
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Reeko » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:11 pm

Danner gavres feel like clouds. they breathe sooooooo well. they are more comfortable than my running shoes. feet dont get cold in the winter, and they dont get overheated in the summer. perfect boots in my opinion. But the price doesnt put it within most people's budgets (160 bucks or so)

they are 6" so low cut, but fully waterproof, and pack the reliability and quality of danners. Im a low cut boot person. never saw the need for anything taller.

ive only owned a few different pairs of boots in my life, and they were all more than 150 bucks. So i dont have much experience in your price range. Look for gortex. waterproof is the most important feature of boots. and gortex will give you waterproofing without sacrificing breath ability.
YOU SIR!!!!...... DO NOT HAVE ANY PANCAKE MIX!
Reeko
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ogrejager » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:09 pm

Reeko wrote:they are 6" so low cut, but fully waterproof, and pack the reliability and quality of danners. Im a low cut boot person. never saw the need for anything taller.

1. The waterproofing will fail. It always does. Trust me.

2. Taller boots are for people who are worried about things like federal regulations that say if you want to...oh...not get your ankle torched...you should have taller boots. Firefighters have boot restrictions because it helps protect their ankles in a couple of different ways. Loggers also have suggestions on what to wear. Airsoft? Wear what you want, but I'm just saying that there is places for taller boots. Now, maybe, you can see "the need for anything taller."

ogrejager

Postby EnarahRovaaniik » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:32 pm

dos_Santos wrote:What would be your main use for your boots? If you want something light weight, the Danner Tachyon's (~28 oz) or the Nike SFB's (16 oz), are good options. I work for Nike, so that's where my experience lies, but I have been wearing two pairs for over 3 years in both cold and wet, and hot and dry conditions with no complaints. I mainly use them for airsoft or camping occasionally. Not the most rugged boot out there, but that was never their purpose-built mission.

I'd use them for airsoft and hunting, so I'd want something lighter weight for running and traveling longer distances. Thanks for the suggestions.
EnarahRovaaniik
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Switchback » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:53 pm

KennewickAirsoft wrote:
dos_Santos wrote:What would be your main use for your boots? If you want something light weight, the Danner Tachyon's (~28 oz) or the Nike SFB's (16 oz), are good options. I work for Nike, so that's where my experience lies, but I have been wearing two pairs for over 3 years in both cold and wet, and hot and dry conditions with no complaints. I mainly use them for airsoft or camping occasionally. Not the most rugged boot out there, but that was never their purpose-built mission.

I'd use them for airsoft and hunting, so I'd want something lighter weight for running and traveling longer distances. Thanks for the suggestions.

Long distance=higher wear. DO NOT skimp on durability just for weight. Also, if you're pounding for long distances, stay away from the SFB's. They're great for fast action, but you'll be replacing them. Also, the sole is like hiking in a pair of Nike Free running shoes. Get something substantial, at least 8". If you're doing ANYTHING that requires waterproof material or a supportive/protective body and sole, then stay clear of the SFB's. Great boots, don't get me wrong, but they are not exactly tailor-made for the PacNW or long distances. Or both.
"I have the cutest dog."
Switchback

Postby gprather » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:36 pm

Switchback wrote:DO NOT skimp on durability just for weight.

From what I've seen if light weight is in the name of the boot, then they rarely last very long at all. For example I knew a couple people who bought Bates lights, and their boots were more or less destroyed after a month in the field; whereas, my Gortex Bates Durashock are heavy, but they have handled the abuse of training very well. I want to try some Danner Rat boots some time though to see how they hold up.
ImageImage
gprather
Soldier
Soldier

Team: [ODK]

Postby Reeko » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:32 pm

ogrejager wrote:
Reeko wrote:they are 6" so low cut, but fully waterproof, and pack the reliability and quality of danners. Im a low cut boot person. never saw the need for anything taller.

1. The waterproofing will fail. It always does. Trust me.

2. Taller boots are for people who are worried about things like federal regulations that say if you want to...oh...not get your ankle torched...you should have taller boots. Firefighters have boot restrictions because it helps protect their ankles in a couple of different ways. Loggers also have suggestions on what to wear. Airsoft? Wear what you want, but I'm just saying that there is places for taller boots. Now, maybe, you can see "the need for anything taller."

If i were a logger or a firefighter this would be relevant. unfortunately im neither. so taller boots have no use in my life and therefor i dont see the need for anything taller. I also dont see a need for ceramic body armor in airsoft either, doesnt mean they dont have their place somewhere else. And waterproofing doesnt mean they are waterproof to a swimming pool, if you put them in a swimming pool, then yes the waterproofing will fail. what it does mean is that mud isnt going to seep through the boot and into your sock.

Im giving the OP an example of practical boots for airsofting here. Which means mud, shallow puddles, and lots of running. so lightweight, waterproof, and breathable is the name of the game. Sorry if i offended you with my choice of booting attire.
YOU SIR!!!!...... DO NOT HAVE ANY PANCAKE MIX!
Reeko
Soldier
Soldier

Postby gprather » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:07 pm

Reeko wrote:If I were a logger or a firefighter this would be relevant. unfortunately I'm neither. so taller boots have no use in my life and therefor I don't see the need for anything taller. I also don't see a need for ceramic body armor in airsoft either, doesn't mean they don't have their place somewhere else. And waterproofing doesn't mean they are waterproof to a swimming pool, if you put them in a swimming pool, then yes the waterproofing will fail. what it does mean is that mud isn't going to seep through the boot and into your sock.

I'm giving the OP an example of practical boots for airsofting here. Which means mud, shallow puddles, and lots of running. so lightweight, waterproof, and breathable is the name of the game. Sorry if i offended you with my choice of booting attire.

You will get the same breath-ability out of a pair of hot weather Bates or Danners 8" as those, but with much higher durability. Also 8"+ boots provide better support, and will keep rocks, and critters out a lot better (especially if you blouse your trousers). The most practical thing -- at least in my book -- is durability, and comfort. No point in getting light boots if you're going to need to buy a new pair in a year. A pair of good rugged boots will out live their lighter counterparts by a considerable time span.

Also on a side note, if you aren't getting your feet wet with 6" (or even 8" for that matter) shoes/boots, then you aren't playing quite hard enough =p. Especially in Oregon. If water goes above the top of any pair of boots "waterproof" or not, it will go right on down.
ImageImage
gprather
Soldier
Soldier

Team: [ODK]

Return to Tactical Equipment