Chest rig for a Fat Guy

Discussion of load-bearing equipment, tactical gear, holsters, BDUs, and other gear related to Airsoft.

Chest rig for a Fat Guy

Postby Hawkeye [F.O.A.D.] » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:14 pm

First I apologize if this has been covered before but I was not able to find it.

I am a big guy (I wear a 2x size shirt) and had to heavily modify my existing tac vest to fit. it rides high on my chest and for the most part gets in the way. I have been looking a plate carriers but most are 1 size fit most so I dont think those are a option. Does anybody know or have experience on were to find one that would fit correctly. I dont want to spend more than $150 for one.

Thanks
Hawkeye [F.O.A.D.]
Soldier
Soldier

Team: F.O.A.D

Re: Chest rig for a Fat Guy

Postby ClownBaby » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:31 pm

(Before anyone reads this, I'm a fat guy)

This thread has "tons" of comedic potential !

I can tell you what dump pouch holds the biggest sub sandwich!
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby Hawkeye [F.O.A.D.] » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:32 pm

And the pistol mag pouches are perfect for candy bars.... yea I have heard them all. :badgrin:
Hawkeye [F.O.A.D.]
Soldier
Soldier

Team: F.O.A.D

Postby RedSpo0n » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:47 pm

Hawkeye [F.O.A.D.] wrote:And the pistol mag pouches are perfect for candy bars.... yea I have heard them all. :badgrin:

Hey hey! Nothing wrong with a little Tactical chocolate. That how I prefer to roll.

As for the actual topic - I don't know about plate carrier, but my super-generic 'Large' UTG Vest has served me just fine for quite a while, and I've been up to a XL Tshirt, and down to an ill-fitting medium in the time I've owned it. It's also never been expanded out to it's maximum size, so I would estimate it would work up to 2x.
With all the pretty flowers and twigs in your ghillie.. perhaps you should take up gardening?
RedSpo0n
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Postby ogrejager » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:57 pm

Look at the Tactical Tailor MAVs. They're pretty adjustable, size-wise.

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Junto » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:26 pm

I'm a 2x as well, but you'd be surprised how many plate carriers and vests fit just fine without homebrew modifications. Usually, they're made to go over soft armor, a blouse, and a shirt under that, so they allow a lot of extra room for adjustment. On light days, I run an HSGI battle belt with some cheapy suspenders, which fits just fine. If I'm playing indoor, I wear an HSGI weesatch, which I had 0 trouble adjusting up to my girth.

If you can, find a local shop and try on a few styles of chest rigs and plate carriers. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Junto

Team: DRAT

Postby ClownBaby » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:33 am

Yeah if you have to do some kind of chest action, just get one of those blank molle chest rigs, the small ones that are just the size of the plate. Also, Thunder Ranch makes some cool three gun style chest rigs, spendy but really well made. Nice and narrow, good for "tactical man-boob stabilisation."

To go along with the belt and suspenders idea, would be a good buttpack and/or blank molle drop thigh panels, then add whatever pouches for insulin supplies.
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Shortbu » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:53 am

You can also use one of the small, roll up type dump pouches to put biscuits in, an fill your hydration pack with gravy! Makes great two-part system! BTW, I'm also pleasantly plump!
Joke em' if they can't take a shazaam!
Shortbu
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ClownBaby » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:25 am

This thread made me realise I hadn't ate dinner. Just made kickass midnight breakfast burrito. The whole time I was singing (Chris Farley style) "Fat guy in a little rig" :D
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Trench » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:27 am

I run the Vism (nc star) Ar chest rig. ($45-60 ) andI too am of size. It has 6 built in double mag pouch, built in hydration pouch, Mollie front and back, and Velcro for patches. I have had a warranty issue but they have limited lifetime warranty and will replace with basically no questions asked.
Trench
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Rentax » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:45 am

Not being of a larger size I cannot speak to the comfort of these items, But I do know that Tactical Tailor leaves ccopious amounts of extra strapage on their items. For instance my TT Plate carrier has 20 inches of strap on either side of the vest. With a 3/4 inch clip and keeper it leaves 16 inches of usable strap, The vest itself is 1 foot wide (as are most vests to fit hard plates). That means the vest will fit around a person who is 7'10" around. (or has a diameter of 2'8" wide)
Like Junta says with some minor home brew adjustments you could increase this to as wide as one might need.
If you are less inclined to use a plate carrier I would suggest the same thing as Jewish Ninja (her to refered to as Jew) a TT modular Assault Vest (MAV) There are plenty of posts oh AP (several by me) about TT MAV's, but if you'd like to know more I'd be willing to chat more about them, or supply more information if you'd like.
We do what we want
Rentax

Postby ogrejager » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:34 am

Rentax wrote:If you are less inclined to use a plate carrier I would suggest the same thing as Jewish Ninja (her to refered to as Jew) a TT modular Assault Vest (MAV) There are plenty of posts oh AP (several by me) about TT MAV's, but if you'd like to know more I'd be willing to chat more about them, or supply more information if you'd like.

Nice necro. And it was ME, not Jew.

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Postby Rentax » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:21 pm

I'll admit I was just trolling AP (for the first time in a long time) and was looking at my "unread posts" section... :lol:
Is 1 month really a full blown necro? I mean... I have done MUCH worse than that.

Yeah, yeah, sorry Ogre, I was reading it at work on my phone so I thought you were Jew all you Red team boys look the same. :D
We do what we want
Rentax

Postby spazzticsmurff » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:26 am

i actualy have a vest that was made for the larger frame guys, it was hand made by one of the local guys here in az. it is not a plate carrier though, it is a light weight molle rig. it was made specificly for airsoft. it was made to be light weight but still be able to hold all of your molle attachments.
it was made by this guy:
http://coyotetactical.blogspot.com/search/label/Rigs
spazzticsmurff
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Shortbu » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:15 pm

Rentax wrote:I'll admit I was just trolling AP (for the first time in a long time) and was looking at my "unread posts" section... :lol:
Is 1 month really a full blown necro? I mean... I have done MUCH worse than that.

Yeah, yeah, sorry Ogre, I was reading it at work on my phone so I thought you were Jew all you Red team boys look the same. :D

Racist! :D
Joke em' if they can't take a shazaam!
Shortbu
Soldier
Soldier

Return to Tactical Equipment