Ghillie Suit vs. Camo(vs. Ghillie cloak?)

Discussion of load-bearing equipment, tactical gear, holsters, BDUs, and other gear related to Airsoft.

Ghillie Suit vs. Camo(vs. Ghillie cloak?)

Postby ChaoticJJ » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:30 pm

So, we all know that people wear woodland Camo so when operating in the forest we don't stick out like clowns in a Gothic church, and those few of us up to the task blend into nature with Ghillie suits, but is there a real use for Ghillie cloaks? I ask this because I had planned to attach Velcro onto the shoulders of my Marpat and then proceed to make a knee-to-shoulder cloak, but I had to ask myself if it was really worth it? I ask here what your opinion is on full body Ghillie suits versus cloaks of the same nature.

I've been thinking it over and to me it seems obsolete for any rifleman whom is set to assault positions to wear a hefty thing on their back, but could a removable cloak provide any use for those trying to defend an area or just simply provide recon?

And how many times will the enemy team fall for it when I leave the cloak in an ambush area?
The only thing you don't want to be high speed low drag is your parachute.
ChaoticJJ
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Re: Ghillie Suit vs. Camo(vs. Ghillie cloak?)

Postby Jmonday » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:10 pm

The whole idea of a ghillie suit is to make you look apart of the brush. Not sniping, and in the middle of combat, people will point you out. It'd be best to play a support role, or to buy a sniper and do recon that way. Kinda pointless since plastic will be flying everywhere during the battle.

Ghillie suits are like pre-configured vests. Ghillie cloaks are more customizable, because you can add foliage to the suit where you are playing. I've used them up in California when I lived up there. Quite fun to sneak around, but they do get hot overtime. I'd suggest a ghillie suit, since they can be sometimes cheaper, and easier to work with.
Jmonday
Grunt
Grunt

Postby ClownBaby » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:24 pm

The real questions to ask when thinking about buying/using a sniper rifle or ghillie suit.#1 Do you really need it? #2 Are you skilled enough to use it?
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby PvtPatches » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:00 pm

Ill take the camo over the ghillie suit/cloak any day. In the few games Ive been too, Ive seen too many folks thinking they can use one effectively, but what sells a ghillie suit is resolve. It requires a new tact of moving, and hiding. Generally I think it makes some people lazy when its comes to concealment; assuming the suit is going to do most of the hiding, which is as wrong as you can get.

In the airsoft environment, Id take the camo. Ghillie suits/cloaks are great for long term engagements, where you have all day and night to move to your target. With most airsoft battles/missions lasting only a handful of hours, Id prefer something I can move in. Just bare in mind what your wearing in relation to where your hiding. If your wearing Multicam, stay out of the ferns and moss, and hug the tall grass, Etc.

I wore all black to my first handful of outdoor games (against recommendations from the boards here as I was broke), but by hiding in the darker shadows off the trail, I still got the drop on more players than they did on me. Location, location, location.

This is strictly my opinion. Im open to the idea that Im wrong.
Mighty fine shindig.
PvtPatches
Grunt
Grunt

Postby 1SGT.Reaper » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:29 am

I agree some people just assume that ghillie suits will do all the work, when it takes patience to effectively use one. Yes it may be boring to sit in one spot and wait for the enemy to come to you, but the point isn't to run around in a ghillie suit. Its to sit and wait, also on another note it doesn't make you invisible either. This isn't Call of Duty where miraculously you go prone and people walk past you like you were never there. I have shot a few people in ghillies at R and R that thought no one could see them, though admittedly it was damn challenging to find them compared to others. If you are not the patient type then go with camo and call it good. Otherwise if you are willing to sacrifice some of the action and lie and wait for your enemy, go for a ghillie suit.
"Retreat Hell, We're just advancing in a different direction"
1SGT.Reaper
Grunt
Grunt

Team: ODA 556

Postby Matt » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:38 am

I hate it when riflemen wear ghillie suits or ghillie material. You can't feel when you're being hit. IMO they should be for designated snipers only. And even then, you have to be mindful if a BB strikes your back.
Matt

Team: APST

Postby ClownBaby » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:20 pm

Really the most important part of a ghillie suit is the hood. What your looking to do is break-up the silhouette of your head, neck, and shoulders. For example: when your playing video games/airsoft and you see a blob of darkness sticking up over a berm, your brain subconsciously/nearly instantaneously recognizes that as the human form. They sell sniper hoods but, a simple sniper veil can do the trick just as well, if not better. Because all your wanting to do is create a line from the top of your head to the outside of your shoulder. Get it?

Also premaid sniper stuff is overpriced. Also, And probably most important, is that any ghillie suit I.E. stuff hanging off your arms and body, WILL get caught on trees,logs, and blackberry bushes. Nothing is less stealthy than making a bunch of noise cuz yer stuck. "Hey dude, can you come cut me out of this bush?" I've also been playing and found pieces of a ghillie suit material on the field. Which in airsoft might not be a big deal, but if you were in the real world it would be a very bad thing.
When you see that you definitely know there's a sniper around.

Lastly, if you want to be a good sniper go to a game with no gun, and just sneak around for a whole day and see if you get caught.
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby Shortbu » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:03 pm

In my opinion, there are very few airsofters that utilize a ghillie (or the sniper role for that matter) effectively. I snipe quite often, and I don't even own a ghillie. If you're smart about movement, cover, shade, and shot selection, a ghillie is unnecessary. Not to say there aren't guys that don't make the most of their ghillie (Phiz for one) but most think it's like a video game. It's not. Most guys don't have a ton of money tied up into there sniper rifles to achieve 300 plus foot shots, and you don't see a lot of guys spotting with optics looking for snipers. You can hide just as effectively with camo and some intelligence for airsoft.
I also run a somewhat modified sniper role quite often. Meaning that I pay to PLAY, and it gets really old when I've set a sniper position, and held it for 2hours, have had radio contact, and not seen a single target. So, I will at times run with a squad, with my sniper rifle, and be "on call" for when needed. This would be very difficult to do with a ghillie on. As Clownbaby stated, a ghillie snags on everything, and it's difficult to sneak into cover, to get into a good sniping position quietly, while in a ghillie. A cloak over your head and shoulders is a feasible, and much likely to be useful alternative.
Hope this helps.
Joke em' if they can't take a shazaam!
Shortbu
Soldier
Soldier

Team: SpecDet1

Postby ogrejager » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:32 pm

ClownBaby wrote:They sell sniper hoods but, a simple sniper veil can do the trick just as well, if not better. Because all your wanting to do is create a line from the top of your head to the outside of your shoulder.

First, thank you for writing a post I could read.

Second, I agree. I've killed a lot of wildlife with a boonie hat converted to ghillie:

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Postby Jmonday » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:38 pm

I think, if Colbert can pull it off, you can too!

Jmonday
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Shortbu » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:42 am

Jmonday wrote:I think, if Colbert can pull it off, you can too!

He can't pull it off.
Joke em' if they can't take a shazaam!
Shortbu
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Jerm_G » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:08 am

Ghillie suits in the airsoft community are in general poorly constructed (that includes those purchased) improperly used and generally speaking, absolutely ineffective. I can count on one hand the number of people in this community who could properly make, wear, and use one. It's a special skill and highly effective when used properly in the role they were intended for. Otherwise its nothing more than a bunch of crap glued to your uniform.

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer." -Major I.L. Holdridge USMC
Jerm_G
Soldier
Soldier

Team: AIRSOC

Postby pathfinder » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:21 am

Bill was the shit for a very very long time. lots of great rifle build and ghillie builds. i pretty much followed in his footsteps as best i could....when he stopped turning the bolt....Amos and I became the new blood to fear. BSG sniper challenge, Amos took first and i took second. i had him beat on time, if i had only hit the paper. out of everyone that participated, it was only he and I whos card DID NOT get punched.

some people have the knack. some do not.

i think the deathstar's 1-3 were very famous.... i would put my scout rifle as probably the next rifle that people learned would cut thier names in twain.

as for fieldcraft... i have decimated a entire rifleman squad of 8 wearing a Black pea coat and a bright red santa hat...

some group o kids that wore ACU's and were called Shadow BLAH BLAH BLAH @ santas wars. the looks on the squad leaders face as he watched me shoot and kill all his guys from behind their skirmish line. the leader went down first, then 4 more....he called the last two back out of embarrassment so he could maintain his units cohesiveness. after i rick rolled them they quit and left the field.

no ghillie necessary.

i also agree with matt. there were days when Bill or I would stand up and a MOB of BBs would fall out of our suit. some hits you will not feel in your ghillie. when in doubt, call yourself out. i have always been known as a fair sport player and a hit caller( shit ill even call yours too phony pony!). from day one. sometimes you lost the hit in the suit.

i had more fun with my Viper hood then any suit i made.
Promoters who charge $40 for a game they just copy and paste, does not give a crap about you, they care about money.
pathfinder
Soldier
Soldier

Team: DRAT

Return to Tactical Equipment