We AK74B first impressions

Discussion about GBB & HPA replicas

We AK74B first impressions

Postby binicb2r » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:54 pm

Im going to start this by saying in an real steel shooter and havnt done airsoft in almost a decade. Last time I did play I started with a CYMA AEP G18 and a JG G36c then went to a DBoys M4 and a GBB Beretta 92 and with parts from the DBoys I restored the TM M16 I currently have. As for real steel Im an AK guy. Ive got training I will be working on with my group. Ammo is stupid expensive and airsoft is safer for some things so we are going airsoft.

Left is a Bulgarian AK74 I built. Right is the Well AK74B.

I paid $165 shipped for this NIB.

First thoughts on unboxing was how much I hate plastic furniture. Wood is good. Wood can be very expensive. Ive read that Well QC can be pretty spotty and apparently crappy fit for the furniture is a known issue. This one has no wiggle in the pistol grip or the handguards. Im still working on figuring out how to get the lower off to see if I can get an East German bake on there. Bakelite is pretty. Black plastic is not.

Now, the folding poly stock is another story. Horrid wiggly mess that wouldnt latch open. Ended up removing the locking latch, grinding it where it contacted the receiver/trunnion. I want to say I removed at least 0.050" of material. Little dab of locktite on the tension screw and there is minimal slop. About the same as a worn in hinge.

The selector is also garbage. It was way out of wack and went over the stop. The metal is quite soft. Ended up having to smash it flay so it hit the stop then remove it bend it at the hole so it had enough tension to not flop in the wind. It just feels cheap and out of place. I dislike the BHO notch but Im more of a purist.

The trigger bits actually look pretty good. Trigger feels heavy but smooth. A lot heavier than expected. It looks to be a double hook copy. Its closeish.

Overall the build quality is pretty good. Feels similar to the AK in green wood above. Similar weight without mags. Even came with the flash hider without orange!

The rivets are kinda cheap but its not supposed to support the stresses of a live round. The FSB is metal but no windage adjustment at all.

The mag latch is a little long and could use a trim but for the price Im actually pretty impressed!

Ive read that Well mags are junk. The first time I charged the mag it leaked pretty good. Sealed up nice on the second or third charge.

Visually its a little off compared to a ((10)) mag.

Left is a real ((10)), center is the Well and right is a KWA. The KWA quality is head and shoulders above the Well in quality and accuracy. The weight between a loaded real ((10)), the Well and the KWA mag is about the same. All 3 are fairly heavy.

Well on the left, KWA on the right. The feed lips on the Well are plastic vs the metal on the KWA.

I didnt expect a little latch on the top that either lets you dry fire to your hearts content or have it function like the real thing when empty, it drops the hammer and goes dead when empty. Perfect!

On FA the ROF is low, "full" bolt travel. Its satisfying with the klack, klack, klack I love in the AK. Recoil is decent, not as much as the real AK next to it but much, much more than an AEG.

For $165 Im thrilled and cant wait to run it more. Itll end up being a loaner/backup when my KWA AKSU arrives or if I just want to run a longer gun.

All in all, at this point Id recommend it.
binicb2r
Soldier
Soldier

Team: OITAC

Re: We AK74B first impressions

Postby Dennis - Crossbow » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:26 am

binicb2r wrote:Im going to start this by saying in an real steel shooter and havnt done airsoft in almost a decade. Last time I did play I started with a CYMA AEP G18 and a JG G36c then went to a DBoys M4 and a GBB Beretta 92 and with parts from the DBoys I restored the TM M16 I currently have. As for real steel Im an AK guy. Ive got training I will be working on with my group. Ammo is stupid expensive and airsoft is safer for some things so we are going airsoft.

Welcome back to Airsoft. I think you will find your not alone when it comes to shooting real steel and practicing with airsoft. Funny you mention the cost of ammo today ... that's if you can find it.

While plastic BB are cheaper, pick them up when you can it was dry for a while, but production and shipping seem to be getting back to normal now.

As for the AK replica, a couple members of our sponsored team Phantom Fury picked up Arcturus AKs from Thunder Kiss NW. They are super solid and have performed very well with no failures.

Hope to see you on the field.
Thank you,
Dennis "Crossbow"

Remember to like us on Facebook and follow us on YouTube, Twitter and Instragram
Dennis - Crossbow
Administrator
Administrator

Team: N/A

Re: We AK74B first impressions

Postby binicb2r » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:52 am

Dennis - Crossbow wrote:
Welcome back to Airsoft. I think you will find your not alone when it comes to shooting real steel and practicing with airsoft. Funny you mention the cost of ammo today ... that's if you can find it.

While plastic BB are cheaper, pick them up when you can it was dry for a while, but production and shipping seem to be getting back to normal now.

As for the AK replica, a couple members of our sponsored team Phantom Fury picked up Arcturus AKs from Thunder Kiss NW. They are super solid and have performed very well with no failures.

Hope to see you on the field.

Ive been rolling my own ammo but replacing components and loaded has me worried right now. Its starting to come back slowly but it could be a while. Every now and then I can get bullet. My favorite shop has been out of primer for almost a year.

Ive got some older bios that have been stored in sealed baggies. I should have enough to get by for a short time. Once we get everyone geared up we plan to look for BBs. All of us have some bios.

We are closer to Medford but may make it up to West Linn every now and then!
binicb2r
Soldier
Soldier

Team: OITAC

Return to GAS BLOWBACK / HPA