market for a gas frag grenade?

Discuss your own custom works and projects here.

market for a gas frag grenade?

Postby sharxbyte » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:53 pm

I have a design for a gas frag grenade; It would basically be a reusable body with a disposable pellet case, that locks over the body(I would go into more detail, and post prototype pics, but then someone might get the smart idea of copying it, and I wouldn't get money or credit; which would really suck.)

Firstly, is there any market for this? would this be more cost effective in the long run, or benefit anyone more than what is already out there?

If so, then how can I get it developed? Should I look into having it custom machined for myself, and then let word of mouth expose it? Or should I get in contact with an airsoft company and see if I can get royalties?

How much would you be willing to pay for something like this? I was thinking $30-60 for the body, and then replacement cases for $1-3 each.

Here are the potential features I'm thinking of:

-an orange flag that deploys when the gas is released
-possibly a buzzer powered by a small battery

^both to help find the grenade after throwing.

the body would be made of metal and the pin would be connected with a short chain so it wouldn't get lost. The casings would be made of thin plastic or rubber.

So ya. Tell me what you think?(Oh, and sorry if this is in the wrong place, I'm sorry... I didnt see a more appropriate place, but I easily could have missed something...)

Thanks
Last edited by sharxbyte on Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
sharxbyte
Recruit
Recruit

Team: N/A
Location: I'm a sniper... Why would I tell you where I am...? California...=]

Postby Eyes On » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:42 pm

There is a market. Assuming it isn't dangerous, there will be buyers. As for protecting your intellectual property, there are ways to do that. I suggest you speak with a patent attorney licensed to practice law in your area.

Regarding development. There are three methods of developing your product:
1. Time over money. IE Buying the tools you'll need to make the prototype yourself. If you're not a machinist, or don't want to spend the time to learn machining, option 2 or 3 might be more appropriate for you. You don't need to go hog wild buying a full-on production quality CNC lathe, mill, and injection molding system. You can get a very useful manual mill and lathe for under $1500, and casting/mold making kits for under $100. Good QC measuring sets can be had for under $200. There are tutorials on just about every machining operation you can think of on the web. This method allows you to correct mistakes quickly without needing to wait for 2nd/3rd party involvement and re-working/re-tooling.

2. Money over time: Get with a patent attorney and get your process started. Spec out every part in the design. Hire a machine shop to build your prototype after having the company sign a non-disclosure and non-compete agreement. This is the EXPENSIVE way, but you'll have your first prototype quickly. The other down side is that changes to the design either mid-stream or after the prototype is completed are a pain in the a$$.

3. Sell it. Get your patent started, then sell the design.

As for cost, pipe dream cost all you want, it won't do you any good. Your cost is going to be what it is based on the materials, labor, and associated fees you pay out to make the damn thing divided by the number of units you make. It's nice to have a target, but don't fixate on it unless it becomes apparent to you that the individual unit cost is going to be way too high.
ImageImage
Eyes On

Postby sharxbyte » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:43 am

To clarify a bit more:

the plastic wouldn't be hard. I was thinking the thin molded plastic or rubber that you can almost tear, but is still rigid enough to hold its basic form. More on the design: it would be a cylinder with evenly spaced holes that would release the gas and spray the bbs through the casing much like a baloon bursting. The casing would be in the pineapple frag style.

I am reconsidering posting my 3d model, though I am still wary about having it stolen... I'll think about it...

Thanks for the advise on making it. What Price range do you think it would run at? I have been considering purchasing a lathe (and other machining tools) anyways, but at this point, I am still unsure. I have a few unrelated inventions that I would like to get produced as well...

Postby X » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:25 am

Just start making what you can and sell them . If somebody is gonna steal your idea who's to say they won't just buy one and clone that one . Copy wright your idea and just hope fr the best . Your idea sounds alot like this .
http://airsoftoutletnw.com/components/c ... 74ac81.jpg 8)
When you feel the hairs on the back of your neck move, It's too late!! That's me pulling my knife out!!!
X
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Juicemachine » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:40 pm

I second X's ideas about manufacturing. I really like this idea, it sounds a lot like an idea I heard about that they use in Tennessee (they get PVC pipe, cap off both ends and drill slightly less than 6mm holes in the sides. they fill them with BB's, and put a firecracker inside. They are cheap, and very effective). These sound a bit spendier, but better made, and more Milsim, what with the outer shells.
2009's Most Improved Player
Author of the best post of 2010
Juicemachine

Team: {FAG}

Postby G36 FTW » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:06 pm

^ I hate THOSE things with a vengeance ^
Mainly because some guy beaned me with one right as it went off. (My ears rang for like 15 minutes afterwards)...

And I like the idea of the pin on a chain (my friend has lost about 50 of them, almost literally). Along with the buzzer and flag (but I would pay an extra $10 if it was like a regular AAA or AA because I fkin HATE looking for the mentally sized camera batteries. :?
Sneaking around with a derringer since 2010
THE ARMORY
G36 FTW
Specops
Specops

Postby Eyes On » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:26 pm

If you are concerned about someone stealing the idea, stop posting details on the internet.
Last edited by Eyes On on Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Eyes On

Postby sharxbyte » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:14 pm

I like sharing my ideas with other enthusiasts, I just don't want someone to make a bunch of money off of it and I get nothing... You also kinda missed the point of the thread... Not completely off topic, but still...
sharxbyte
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Eyes On » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:54 pm

You've posted enough info regarding the concept that it is fairly easy to copy at this point. Not the specific mechanics mind you, but the concept none-the-less. You don't have to defend your posting this stuff to me. But your notion of sharing your ideas with other enthusiasts is a shallow rationalization on your part.

Anyway, I tried, and now I'm finished. Good luck getting this to market.
ImageImage
Eyes On

Postby sharxbyte » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:16 am

Thanks for both your advise and concern.=]
sharxbyte
Recruit
Recruit

Return to Custom Projects