RedDot on DE 56C

Discuss your own custom works and projects here.

RedDot on DE 56C

Postby SysOp » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:32 pm

I took my DE 56C and drilled and taped the receiver to use the weaver #88 from my Mossberg 835 and put on a Leupold Gilmore LG-35 i had laying around for the last 10 years. I plan to reinforce the screws with some epoxy soon as i don't really trust the plastic.

SysOp
SysOp
Recruit
Recruit

Team: N/A

Postby Sodak » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:58 pm

it looks decent. What magnification is it? If it is more than 2x, then it is pointless but otherwise i see no problem, it looks good/cool.
Awkward silence is what I strive for...
Sodak
Specops
Specops

Postby SysOp » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:07 pm

No Magnification just a simple Red Dot Site.
SysOp
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Octose » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:01 am

Don't use epoxy, way to brittle for what your doing, go get some Gorilla glue or Marine Epoxy, more plasticy and stick much better
Octose
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Jester316 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:11 am

Octose wrote:Don't use epoxy, way to brittle for what your doing, go get some Gorilla glue or Marine Epoxy, more plasticy and stick much better

Epoxy will work better then gorilla glue. I did the same thing with gorilla glue. It sets up way to foamy. It's great on open celled objects (like wood), but on hard plastic, gorilla glue sucks. Even on metals it sucks, because it doesn't soak into the object that it is gluing.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby midnight_commander » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:26 am

JB Weld? It's a form of epoxy but its not as brittle.

Just throwing it out there.
midnight_commander
Specops
Specops

Postby Eyes On » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:33 am

The key to getting a good bond is surface prep. If the rail is metal, strip the finish from the bottom, and rough up the metal surface with 80 grit. Don't be neat about it, you're not reducing the metal, you're trying to scratch it up. If the rail is plastic, just scuff it.

Do the same with the top of the receiver on the gun.

Metal Rail + Plastic Receiver = JB Weld or similar mass fill type bonding agent. Gorilla Glue will work, but use only 2-3 small drops and don't add water. You'll still probably need to give it a once over with a razor blade to get rid of excess while it is wet.

Plastic Rail + Plastic Receiver = Super Glue or other Cyanate Epoxy (model glue or similar depending on the plastic). A plastic weld might work too, but that's a lot of work.

In either case, contact cement on a prepped surface should work too.
ImageImage
Eyes On

Postby SysOp » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:08 am

I'll be using west system marine epoxy with 404 high density filler.

404 High-Density filler is a thickening additive developed for maximum physical properties in hardware bonding where high-cyclic loads are anticipated. It can also be used for filleting and gap filling where maximum strength is necessary.

This is related to the epoxy paints i use every day at work and yes any adhesive is only as good as the surface prep. The weaver rail has had its black anodizing sanded off. The top of the receiver will also be scarified.

Now before i go ahead and make this permanent, should i mill the weaver into a Picatinny rail for a more military look? It would be for cosmetics as i don't see changing to another sight during the life of this gun.
SysOp
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Octose » Thu May 06, 2010 10:44 pm

Jester316 wrote:
Octose wrote:Don't use epoxy, way to brittle for what your doing, go get some Gorilla glue or Marine Epoxy, more plasticy and stick much better

Epoxy will work better then gorilla glue. I did the same thing with gorilla glue. It sets up way to foamy. It's great on open celled objects (like wood), but on hard plastic, gorilla glue sucks. Even on metals it sucks, because it doesn't soak into the object that it is gluing.

I wipe the area down after I have lathered it up neatly with a paper towel so no excess remains and it is clean.
Octose
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Octose » Thu May 06, 2010 10:53 pm

Octose wrote:
Jester316 wrote:

I wipe the area down after I have lathered it up neatly with a paper towel so no excess remains and it is clean.

wow didn't realize this was a necro post.
Octose
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Sixxgun » Sun May 09, 2010 7:01 pm

Good to know just learned that will change to gorilla (which type gorilla glue?) JB Weld works good
Sixxgun
Ranger
Ranger

Return to Custom Projects