mortars

Discuss your own custom works and projects here.

Postby Cap n pickles » Wed May 19, 2010 12:51 pm

Nasty wrote:
Cap n pickles wrote:
How did the mortar thing work out?

Contrary to what some are saying, the mortars worked pretty well. The problem was the bike pumps. When I got it working, they worked amazingly. Bravo's mortar team nailed a bunker about 250 feet off from the top of Hamburger Hill. No one was in it, but we hit it nonetheless.

Is there anyway that we can get design plans?
"All our liberties are due to men who, when their conscience has compelled them, have broken the laws of the land."
William Kingdon Clifford
Cap n pickles

Team: N/A

Postby ogrejager » Wed May 19, 2010 1:02 pm

No. Frankly, I wouldn't trust you (or most people) to deal with compressed gas and PVC tubing. You'll end putting shards of plastic through something vital.

It's no more than a small pnuematic spud gun--go do the google thing and figure it out yourself.

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Infinite » Wed May 19, 2010 1:03 pm

This was my first official outdoors game and I had a f***ing blast!! I enjoyed working as a team at the Sector 10 battle. Re-spawning on the logging road sucked but I'm glad we got to switch sides, besides that's only fair - and Hamburger Hill can bite me!

I was one of the remaining 'stragglers' left up on the hill after Alpha claimed Hamburger Hill before lunch. Only took you 45 minutes to spot me ;)

I enjoyed the opportunity to really push my new gun - next time I'll bring an extra battery. Thanks Ash for letting me use your pistol and rifle for the remaining 30 minutes of the game.

I look forward to the next game with all of you! :)

Whitney :D
Infinite
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Cap n pickles » Wed May 19, 2010 1:11 pm

ogrejager wrote:No. Frankly, I wouldn't trust you (or most people) to deal with compressed gas and PVC tubing. You'll end putting shards of plastic through something vital.

It's no more than a small pnuematic spud gun--go do the google thing and figure it out yourself.

Ive got a good friends Dad who deals with that stuff, ill ask him.
"All our liberties are due to men who, when their conscience has compelled them, have broken the laws of the land."
William Kingdon Clifford
Cap n pickles

Postby Bad Karma » Wed May 19, 2010 1:24 pm

If you do make anything using compressed air and plastic pipe, it is absolutely imperative that you use Schedule 40 piping at the ABSOLUTE minimum, but Schedule 80 if you can get it. Then wrap the entire pressure chamber in duct tape or cloth tape so that if the tank explodes from pressure the plastic shards don't embed themselves in you or anyone else.

Protip: When PVC piping explodes, the pipe splinters and the shrapnel is absolutely devastating. Please use caution when building these devices.
Biggest Postwhore 2009
Author of the Best Post of 2009
XO of the Best Team of 2009
Bad Karma

Team: SOTA

Postby Cap n pickles » Wed May 19, 2010 1:28 pm

Bad Karma wrote:If you do make anything using compressed air and plastic pipe, it is absolutely imperative that you use Schedule 40 piping at the ABSOLUTE minimum, but Schedule 80 if you can get it. Then wrap the entire pressure chamber in duct tape or cloth tape so that if the tank explodes from pressure the plastic shards don't embed themselves in you or anyone else.

Protip: When PVC piping explodes, the pipe splinters and the shrapnel is absolutely devastating. Please use caution when building these devices.

Understood, Do you have a suggestion for a pressure gauge i should look into? Or just use the one from the Bike pump?
William Kingdon Clifford
Cap n pickles

Postby ogrejager » Wed May 19, 2010 1:39 pm

Karma, you don't want the liability that you can be under by answering his questions. Do you really want to have "helped" after he puts out an eye or embeds a piece of PVC in his liver?

ogrejager

Postby Matt » Wed May 19, 2010 1:39 pm

Cap n pickles wrote:
Nasty wrote:
Cap n pickles wrote:
How did the mortar thing work out?

Contrary to what some are saying, the mortars worked pretty well. The problem was the bike pumps. When I got it working, they worked amazingly. Bravo's mortar team nailed a bunker about 250 feet off from the top of Hamburger Hill. No one was in it, but we hit it nonetheless.

Is there anyway that we can get design plans?

I don't have the plans but you can buy one here:
http://www.milsimlabs.com/airsoft%20pai ... uncher.htm

You might be able to find out more information there on the website. Beats the $600+ price tag of the other ones I have seen.
Matt

Team: APST

Postby Cap n pickles » Wed May 19, 2010 1:52 pm

ogrejager wrote:Karma, you don't want the liability that you can be under by answering his questions. Do you really want to have "helped" after he puts out an eye or embeds a piece of PVC in his liver?

I know you dont know me, but the last thing im going to do is sue someone over something i did myself.

Ive broken 13 bones skate boarding since i was 10, all of which was not on my property, i have never even thought of sueing someone.

I skate at my own risk, as i do projects on my own risk as well.

For future reference.
William Kingdon Clifford
Cap n pickles

Postby Catch22 » Wed May 19, 2010 1:59 pm

Personally if someone is working on a project, I'd like them to get as much help as they can, from people with the know how. That way they can make it as safe as possible.
Catch22

Postby Chesty_01 » Wed May 19, 2010 2:01 pm

If I were to suggest anything, I would make the compression chamber out of metal. I am going to attempt to make one out of copper. Its just a little heavier then plastic but way more durable, of course it costs a hell of a lot more too.

$0.02, its all I got!!
Chesty_01
Specops
Specops

Postby ogrejager » Wed May 19, 2010 3:01 pm

I wouldn't do that--metal, that is. Why go higher in pressure? Seriously? Instead, why not just build a bigger compression chamber.

Thanks, mods, for the split.

ogrejager

Postby Nox » Wed May 19, 2010 3:27 pm

The idea isnt going higher in pressure - it's having a greater safety range to work with so nothing explodes. At maximum, items like these only need 100psi to do their job. Would you want to work with material that bursts at 140psi (PVC for example) or 250psi? (copper for example)
If people were to help, if you want to limit liability - then keep it to PM's so joe public surfing around can't say "Look what I found on AP!" and then takes an arm off after a critical failure.
Catch is right in this instance - for safety's sake it's better to educate someone how to do something properly and have them succeed rather than attend that person's funeral after they decide it's "Good enough" (Not that you would be said person Pickles)
There are scads of plans and helpful hints on the internet for spud gun plans so with a little searching, one can find all sorts of things.
Last edited by Nox on Wed May 19, 2010 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nox

Postby Matt » Wed May 19, 2010 3:51 pm

Nasty wrote:After Thunder Strike, I'm going to be building a couple mortars similar to the ones used at the event; i.e. charged with bike pumps. I don't want to deal with compressed gas as I think that adds unneeded risk.

Hopefully I can complete it before the end of May, if I do, I'll chuck the plans up here.

:EDIT: Ogre, I think the MilSim labs one that were at Thunder Strike had a PVC barrel and a metal pressure chamber. Matt, can you confirm this?

Better yet Matt, did the mortars come pre-assembled?

The chamber is metal. They come in 2 pieces, the PVC barrel screws on to the metal chamber. Apparently you can achieve 140psi with the bike pump, which gives them close to their maximum range of 400'. I'm going to get a better pump with a psi gauge on it to test with. Hopefully we can have a psi vs. range chart for the next event so the mortar teams know what to expect. Of course, good compression around the Nerf Vortex football or whatever you are shooting helps too.

I'm happy to let folks borrow one to take a closer look. I've got 4. I could also take it apart and take closeup photos of the place where it attaches.
Matt

Team: APST

Postby ogrejager » Wed May 19, 2010 6:12 pm

Nasty,

I have a great book that I got as a birthday present last year called, "Backyard Ballistics." Among a ton of other things (last year I built a hair spray spud gun based on it), it has a full guide to building pnuematic cannons. In fact, building one was our plan for Memorial Day weekend. Look for the book. While the internet sources are good, the book goes so far as to give you a shopping list, even.

ogrejager

Next

Return to Custom Projects