Ballistics Shield

Discuss your own custom works and projects here.

Postby El Diablo » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:46 pm

Bad Karma wrote:My vote is for a nice flat black, as well. Good work, it looks good and has appropriate weight to it as well. Some kid was running around in the woods at the Summer Slaughter using a homemade shield that weighed like six pounds. It was pretty janky.

I hated that kid!
I'm sorry that didn't contribute at all to this post, but that kid was a royal pain in the a$$.

Nice job though! Have you used it at all?
The Fanged Bunny Raiders FTW!!

"HEY ITS THE RAINBOW WARRIOR!!"

"HONEY BADGER DON'T GIVE A SHIT!"
-Pacman
El Diablo
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Postby Hutch » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:48 pm

Are you allowed to use these in AP games?
Hutch
Soldier
Soldier

Postby DJ » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:06 pm

AlphaWolf BBA wrote:Are you allowed to use these in AP games?

Did you note the weight? (33lbs) kind of a CQB thing.........I'd love to see someone running around the woods trying to heft the thing......this is actually pretty close to what a real Kevlar shield would weigh.....most of the bigger real ones have wheels on the bottom because of the weight thing.....
Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent,
and discerning if he holds his tongue.
DJ
Specops
Specops

Postby -Shifty- » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:12 pm

Nasty wrote:Are you capable of not necro-posting?

That's what I was wondering...

11B1O - AUS
-Shifty-
Soldier
Soldier

Postby quigly » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:54 pm

It was a fairly good question, and only a couple months old, so I don't think you need to be hating on the kid. ;)
My father once told me, "Some times all you have is a bullet and a prayer, don't miss."
quigly
Specops
Specops

Postby Steve » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:53 am

Ever thought about adding lights to it? If you are planning on using it for CQB, having a light source that you can hide behind could be useful.

In all fairness, though, using one with lights tends to draw a lot of fire toward the bright bits. And the person carrying it. The advantage is that everyone who doesn't have one to hide behind can use the light to help them find targets while being in semi-shadow behind it.
This Week In Airsoft wrote:This Week in Airsoft stands behind its statement... The internet and YouTube can be your teacher.

Steve

Postby Smitty » Thu May 12, 2011 7:06 pm

Not meaning to necro post, but I have been absent from the forums for a couple of months.

As to how I made it, I took several 1/8th inch hardwood boards, sanded off the coating, and wood glued them together one at a time, making sure to use weights to bend the board into the curve shape I wanted. This was the hardest part, as getting the shield to have just the right curve, and to be perfectly symmetrical was difficult, but if you spend some time to get the first 3 boards right, the rest fall into place well.

One i had the boards glued together (6-7 I think), took a big piece of aluminum sheet metal, bent it, cut it to fit the outer shell of the shield, and then bolted it to the shield as shown.

Then it was a matter of cutting out the lexan glass, drilling the holes, and bolting that as well.

I now have this thing painted, and have used it in combat as well. I'll try to post a couple pics of it now. The paint started giving way to the aeg's after a few games, but they just look like bullet holes, so I am ok with it. I may give it a redone paint job this summmer.
Smitty
Grunt
Grunt

Previous

Return to Custom Projects