Would this Work? It should....yeah..its a Minigun

Discuss your own custom works and projects here.

Would this Work? It should....yeah..its a Minigun

Postby Jeff Torres » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:59 pm

Yeah, It's misleading. But I'm not shooting for the actual minigun operation..but this will be hidden within the spinning Barrels, in the center.
The BB's will be shooting from the center and the Barrels are only for Ascetic purposes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2gmKAtkwmc
works off this idea..only I think I'll use a CO2 cartridge for portability

For all the electric Madness...I defer to you Electricians..I think with Gears and whatnot, not electricity

what do you guys think?

I'm also a noob here, but I've searched for similar devices on this site...I'm not new to the drill.

EDIT: Also I'm not shooting for accuracy...just for what a minigun is used for....Covering fire and defensive tactics
Jeff Torres
Recruit
Recruit

Team: N/A

Postby Seagreen » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:16 pm

How will you regulate the velocity of the BB's. With CO2 being pressurized at 800psi and 105psi for a .2 bb to move 500fps or so...that could be an issue unless you have a regulator in-between.
"5 color Woodland....it's the new thing."
Seagreen

Team: AIRSOC

Postby Jeff Torres » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:37 pm

ah...a regulator. What is that Exactly? Obviously it Regulates, is it a spring based valve that has a spring that is tested to a predetermined psi, then when it hits that critical PSI then it pops? Releasing the air, but a constant pressure would render the valve useless, As it would just hold the valve open constanly, or it would pop like a machine gun?
Or is it something completely different?

Also whilst doing some more followup research, I came across a similar design called A Vortex Gun...and upon thinking about it. That seems like a more reliable system...as well as intimating.

http://www.advancedspuds.com/bbauto.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQkEKjX65DI

I know I'm skirting the edges of airsoft Legality here but..I know a couple of you guys are wanting one of these to mess with the guys casually, outside of the field.
And you can make one out of Bondo!

I have access to a machine shop, mills, lathes, CNC's, lots of Metal and a mindset to make this!
Thus making the vortex assembly much more durable...and as well as...hmmm...mass production.....
Jeff Torres
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Falcon7 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:46 pm

Yeah you are gonna need a regulator and hop up unit or something to feed the bbs into so they all dont just fall out the barrel. A regulator is basically a tube filled with tiny metal bbs so there are very small gaps in between and only a certain amount of gas can get through at a time. You are going to need more than one of those tiny co2 cartridges, probably a paintball co2 or compressed air tank. Then you need a firing mechanism, you can take the gas release system, trigger, bolt, and whatnot out of a cheap paintball gun. And then if you want it to actually look like something you will need to make some pretty involved body pieces. This is a huge project.
Interested in joining Bop? Want to get rid of a broken gun? PM me.
Falcon7
Soldier
Soldier

Team: BoP

Postby Jeff Torres » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:21 pm

I should use a regulator where? Between the Gas Supply (GS) and the Electric Valve or after the valve? I assume after the GS, but please clarify.

As for the Firing Mechanism, it is simple, the GS and a valve...I'm not getting too crazy with all the mechanisms and whatnot. This is not supposed to be a elegant looking gun. the force of the GS in the Vortex Valve should provide me with the RPM's, and with an old Barrel I cannibalized from a m4 springer piece-of-crap i should get some semblance of accuracy...this is not exactly a long distance weapon...medium to short range...if that.

And so it won't imitate the Vortex Guns from the Videos, which spray out bbs manically, the Electric Feed Magazine will have a gear ratio to feed bbs to the tube at a pace that is not ridiculous, but enough to warrant a mini gun.
Jeff Torres
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Pope_Alex_Kaeda_I » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:27 pm

Im just going to put this out there. Do with it as you will . . . . . if you dont know how to use a regulator, your engineering skills are probably not up to par to do this project. Asking the rest of us to fix your engineering . . . . thats like asking a bunch of midgets to play for the Detroit Tigers in the Superbowl. They might show up, but thats a upsidedown up left handed football bat they're going to swing.
Member of the AirsoftReview Mafia
Umlaut Rabbit - 28 June 2008, Unchkin Rabbit 29 May 2009
Pope_Alex_Kaeda_I

Location: Google makes me clever. Photoshop makes me beautiful.

Postby Jeff Torres » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:35 pm

. Asking the rest of us to fix your engineering . . . . thats like asking a bunch of midgets to play for the Detroit Tigers in the Superbowl. They might show up, but thats a upsidedown up left handed football bat they're going to swing.

No, no, no I'm not trying to have you guys fix my Idea or force it down your thoats, or anything. I'm just asking what Would you do. Some advice I will take and use (the regulator) and other things I would discard after Consideration.

I'm not a actual Engineer, but I do have a firm understanding of how things work...mechanically atleast. I like to take apart things, and look at them, think of how I can improve them whilst simplifying them. I guess I'm just a Tinkerer.

This is my first forray into airsoft modding...or Building I guess, and so any and all Suggestions are welcome!
Jeff Torres
Recruit
Recruit

Postby chapped » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:13 pm

I think you're in over your head.
There is no justice.
There's just us.
chapped
Specops
Specops

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Jester316 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:21 pm

If you don't know what a regulator is/does and don't know where to incorporate it into your design, you need to stop messing with things that could kill you.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Falcon7 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:27 pm

Yes, the regulator would go after the gas source to get it down to a manageable psi. If you don't have some kind of firing mechanism to control gas release, and just a open/closed valve, all your gas is going to leak out pretty quickly. Also, you might have trouble getting the psi low enough for it to be safe. The regulators used to fill helium balloons would work, I have one laying around if you want it. Btw, do some fancy math, or have someone do it for you, to figure out the proper psi to propel whatever weight bb you use and the proper speed.
Last edited by Falcon7 on Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Falcon7
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Jeff Torres » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:32 pm

I think you're in over your head.

Yeah, it may seem a little confusing to others...Maybe I'm not explaining it enough. It works fine in my head (haha, like that ever proved anything)

Right.

The GS is connected to the valve
The Valve is connected to the regulator.
The Regulator is connected to the Vortex Block
The Vortex Block has 2 holes, one for Air, and another for the Barrel.

When the Valve is opened, the gas encounters the regulator, which brings it down to the required PSI.
Then the Gas Enters the Vortex Block, which Interacts with the feeding system (simple enough) and spins the bb's around (thus eliminating any jamming)
and eventually the bbs will find the barrel and exit...propelled by the gas

The feed is regulated by the feeding system gear ratio...perhaps 2:1?

In theory it should work. I'll get to work drawing up plans so I can get this thing into My Machine shop.
Jeff Torres
Recruit
Recruit

Postby RiotingCows » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:34 pm

You might just want to get an m4 body, gas internals, and hook up a box mag for your ammo issue and work from there and then all you have to deal with is the regulation of co2 tank and how it looks
Kick me. I go "Moooooooo!!!!!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA5v0bZij40
RiotingCows
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Jeff Torres » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:36 pm

Jeff Torres
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Falcon7 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:39 pm

Ah, you never mentioned the vortex block. It isn't the most efficient method, especially with a limited air supply. If you really want this to work in game, I recommend using the aforementioned gas blow-back system.
Falcon7
Soldier
Soldier

Postby glockmeister » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:42 pm

dude that video of it looked pretty cool. Make one.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.â€
glockmeister
Soldier
Soldier

Next

Return to Custom Projects