Advanced Motor timing

Discuss your own custom works and projects here.

Advanced Motor timing

Postby FiXiT » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:14 am

Ok so Im one of those guys who "Bought before I Thought", and thus have to make due with what Ive got., (at least until after the holidays, santas on a tight budget this year, and the kid's come first). Anyways onto my project and what Ive accomplished thus far.

http://www.hobbytron.com/ElectricAftermathKirenexPoliceBlackBodyM4CollapsibleStockAirsoftGun.html
(Keep the giggles to a low roar, I later seen this same gun at Big5 for $99)

First off the description of the Airsoft rifle was not even close to being accurate... There are plastic gears not metal, the box says 340 FPS not 430 FPS *actual FPS was probably 250 tops and 450 RPM, Mag cap was 76 and it did not have a battery or charger *6xAA tray located in the stock* Now replaced with M4 LE stock.
Ive made quite a few cosmetic changes to this, but the most significant change has been the increased FPS and ROF.

I was a competitive RC enthusiast for a good 15+ years, still have loads of misc RC stuff and have a fairly good grasp on electric motors and timing them for different results depending on your track needs., and so it got me to tinkering with my motor and battery voltage, with amazing results thus far.

Out the box this thing would hardly dent an empty soda can at 20ft with 6 high quality rechargeable energizer aa cell's and .20 ammo.

Its taken me well over a week to get the timing right with the 10.4v battery so the motor didnt heat up and melt anything, but heres what I ended up with.

Battery: 10.4v / 3200 mah NiMH *made from matched sub aaa rc batteries*
Motor: Stock motor with endbell 24° advanced and replaced bronzite bushings with bearings.

Sealed up everything I could to prevent air leaks.

Result: 300+? FPS or more, and a fire rate that has nearly doubled, scary fast sounding now.

This thing will now shoot clean thru an empty soda can at 20ft using .12 ammo (ran out of the .20's) accuracy seems the same as when it was stock out the box., and empty the 76 round mag in a second flat *hand loading this things not my idea of a good time. The clip is unlike any I have seen online for M4's, so im not sure what to do about this yet.

ADVANCING MOTOR TIMING

Since I was in the process of timing a motor, thought I might as well share what I know. Although this is an RC motor the concept is the same.

Tools:
* small wire cutter
* split-ring pliers
* soldering iron

Step 1:
Mark the side of the can along the red dot - this is for your reference.
Attached Thumbnails

Step 2:
De-solder the capacitors from the can.
Attached Thumbnails

Step 3:
Pry open the 4 tabs that hold the back plate on; I find using a small wire-cutter easier than needle nose pliers, etc. Start out with opening up a little on 3 of the tabs to see if the back plate will start to rotate. Remember you aren't clipping out the tabs, just straightening them out a little.
Attached Thumbnails

Step 4:
With the can in one hand (a piece of rubber grip helps out) and split-ring pliers or what ever works in the other hand, rotate the backplate clockwise around 10mm. I've noticed on some batches of motor, even with all the tabs straightened, it can be difficult to rotate the plate; look for some glue gunk or maybe even excess solder from the caps - or usually a little more elbow grease does the job. Also, you don't want the plate to rotate freely.
Attached Thumbnails

Step 5:
As a reference, see how the red dot has been rotated clockwise away from the initial position.
Attached Thumbnails

Step 6:
Re-solder the capacitor leads; I find that dremeling the surface a little helps the solder and all to bond nicely. I've not had a problem with backplate being too loose after timing it, but if you're not comfortable with the way it rotates, you can put a dab of CA or superglue to secure the backplate in place (makes it hard to rotate afterwards though).
Attached Thumbnails

Im extremely new to airsoft, so DO NOT try this on your high grade AEG's.

Ill post some video when I have time.
FiXiT
Recruit
Recruit

Team: N/A

Postby Sparky D » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:42 am

Very interesting...

Back in the days before clones, there used to be an elite bunch of airsoft modders who would try to eek out every last bit of potential in the LPEGs that flooded the market.

Everything from Piston Porting to spring upgrades using springer pistol springs, to custom barrels and hop-up mods.

I don't ever remember seeing anything like this though.
Nice work.
Well, you can start a new topic and get flamed for not searching, or you can search and get flamed for necro-posting. It's really your choice...
Sparky D
Grunt
Grunt

Postby CommieHunter » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:54 am

Sometimes it's good to ask or shop around, since you can get a really nice G&G AEG for like $170.

However, it's cool that you know how to tune it and are willing to do what it takes to improve it. That type of attitude will get you really far in keeping even high end guns working.
CommieHunter

Team: SOTA

Postby Cap n pickles » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:11 pm

CommieHunter wrote:Sometimes it's good to ask or shop around, since you can get a really nice G&G AEG for like $170.

However, it's cool that you know how to tune it and are willing to do what it takes to improve it. That type of attitude will get you really far in keeping even high end guns working.

Imagine what he would do with the G&G AEG!!
"All our liberties are due to men who, when their conscience has compelled them, have broken the laws of the land."
William Kingdon Clifford
Cap n pickles

Postby FiXiT » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:48 pm

CommieHunter wrote:Sometimes it's good to ask or shop around, since you can get a really nice G&G AEG for like $170.

Unfortunately I did neither of those, and yes I am still kicking myself for it too. Im stuck with this thing until I can stash away some money again without the wife dipping into it for something important like a hairdoo or a tupperware party. :shock:
FiXiT
Recruit
Recruit

Return to Custom Projects