AIRSOFT RIFLEING??

Discuss your own custom works and projects here.

AIRSOFT RIFLEING??

Postby jtbennett94 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:16 am

is it possible to make a rifled airsoft barrle to were the bb will spin? i know airsoft rifles have the hop up for putting a spin on the bb but is it possible to rifle the barrle
jtbennett94
Recruit
Recruit

Team: N/A

Postby Archangel 06 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:20 am

Sure. Why would you want to? There isn't enough mass to keep the bb from tumbling as soon as it leaves the barrel. It's the same principle as to why a regular rifle round has a certain range it can go before it starts tumbling - at some point, the friction from air is going to disturb that spin and make it tumble, thereby severely decreasing the round's performance, almost below what you get with just a tightbore and a nice hopup.
Nasty wrote:TM preforms so well because all TM's have little fairies living in the hopups and gearboxes that give awesome accuracy, but as soon as you take them apart and modify them, the fairies fly away.

It is common knowledge.
Archangel 06
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Matt » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:31 am

Didn't there used to be an Airsoft rifled barrel on the market? If I remember right it didn't sell very well because it didn't work well.
Matt

Team: APST

Postby Kendodude » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:45 am

Tanio Koba made one. It's only good for Stock guns (Around 280FPS-320FPS) shooting .2s. It will extend the range a bit. With a 400FPS it doesn't work.
Problem is that it will get dirty very easily and cause issues. There was a washington airsofter that got one awhile back. Doesn't really seem worth it to most people.
"One does not care to acknowledge the mistakes of one's youth." - Quattro Bajeena aka Char Aznable
Kendodude

Postby Nec » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:29 am

There's a difference between a person who has a screwdriver and a person who knows what they are doing.
Nec
Specops
Specops

Postby BlacksunshineGAAS » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:36 am

I have a TK barrel in my M4. I'm shooting around 330 w/2 (you can use whatever weight you want. But must be shooting 1j or under.) And it gives extra range. I out range everyone on the field cept snipers. I love my TK barrel. The only issue is at the further reach of their range the bb's tend to hit lighter. So sometimes that will cause for people to not feel that they got hit. If you have fag's on the field that already have hit calling issues it does not help. In those cases RAW FPS is what you need to make them yelp out.
motherlover.
BlacksunshineGAAS
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Steamroller » Wed May 04, 2011 9:30 pm

I think it's because airsoft guns shoot spherical perjectiles instead of more conical shaped round like real steal rounds.
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." -- General George Patton
Steamroller
Grunt
Grunt

Postby ScaredShooter » Wed May 04, 2011 9:37 pm

BigCamo67 wrote:I think it's because airsoft guns shoot spherical perjectiles instead of more conical shaped round like real steal rounds.

I think it's because lead is soft and bullets actually get molded and grooved to the inside of a rifle barrel. I wouldn't expect these sort of physics to occur with a plastic BB. You could make it spin, but not the kind of aggressive twist that would happen in real steel.
Doesn't communist sound more dangerous than fascist?
ScaredShooter
Ranger
Ranger

Team: {FAG}

Postby lilwil » Wed May 04, 2011 10:56 pm

The hop up does what a rifled barrel would do.. I can't imagine mixing them would have good results.
She said I raped her? Well, where there is a Will there is a way. But just remember, if it wasn't Lil, it wasn't Wil.

Juicemachine: lilwil (the self-provlaimed racist) wrote:
Your hatred is based on ignorance.

IR the self-provlaimed racist:)
lilwil
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Deliverator » Thu May 05, 2011 12:42 pm

Rifling works best at higher velocities, and you have to determine the best spin rate for the weight and balance of the projectile being used.
Deliverator
Specops
Specops

Postby McNair » Thu May 05, 2011 12:50 pm

I hate when bundles of sticks are on the field not taking their hits.
McNair

Postby B.O.P. Hawk » Sun May 08, 2011 2:11 pm

In order for a truly rifled barrel to be effective, you must be firing a slug, rather that a BB. If a BB is spinning with the axis forward, the BB will hop to the side and down. But if you fire a slug, such as two BBs stacked next to each other made into one BB, it would function as a normal Bullet does, Including the tumble. However, this sort of rifling would require a very large amount of force behind the BB, and a 100% closed firing chamber, which in turn would require and entirely custom gun.

There would be no possible way to make a true rifled barrel work in a traditional airsoft gun, but if you are willing to spend around $2000, then a rifled slug-gun would be rather effective, if it was allowed on the field.

"The Last Thing You Never See"
Birds of Prey: squad assault sniper
B.O.P. Hawk
Soldier
Soldier

Team: BoP

Postby Juicemachine » Sun May 08, 2011 5:25 pm

Uh, the TK barrel isn't rifled to make the barrel spin.
2009's Most Improved Player
Author of the best post of 2010
Juicemachine

Team: {FAG}

Postby pseudoanimosity » Sun May 08, 2011 6:09 pm

Juicemachine wrote:Uh, the TK barrel isn't rifled to make the barrel spin.

this. did any of you watch the video?
"No compromise, not even in the face of Armageddon, it's always been the difference between us, Daniel."
pseudoanimosity
Soldier
Soldier

Return to Custom Projects