Any electrical engineering mavens in the house?

Discuss your own custom works and projects here.

Any electrical engineering mavens in the house?

Postby Wisenheimer » Fri May 13, 2011 10:34 am

I have a little project that needs some help. I have a schematic I'm using as a basis, but I want to add a certain functionality and I need help with the engineering.

Here's the schematic I'm using as a starting point...

Now this is exactly what I want, except for I want a fail to trigger something that will release the homemade claymore I've added. SO when the speaker goes off, the claymore pops.

So what do I need to make this happen? I'm good at soldering, following directions and even engineering, but not this kind of engineering.

Anyone?
Wisenheimer
Ranger
Ranger

Team: N/A

Postby Snake_Eyes » Fri May 13, 2011 11:42 am

I would suggest saying clearly all over this that it is indeed a TOY! Otherwise awesome idea, hope it gets off the ground.

EMPHASIS ON TOY!!!!
My sword runs at 450 FPS, try to out run that! 35+ Sword/Knife Kills and counting.
Snake_Eyes
Specops
Specops

Postby Wisenheimer » Fri May 13, 2011 11:46 am

I have all the parts already. I intend on having big fat INERT on both sides of the briefcase. Maybe I'll make it say INERT TOY FOR AIRSOFT USE AND TRAINING ONLY

That really is my biggest concern. I intend on being able to fly on a plane the rest of my life, thank you very much!
Wisenheimer
Ranger
Ranger

Postby phiz » Fri May 13, 2011 1:13 pm

http://airsoftpacific.com/album_showpage.php?pic_id=5291

Orange is trigger, blue disarms. the resistors should be 100 ohms to keep the LEDs from burning out. M is a motor, wrap a string around the shaft to pull the pin. It needs a mechanical shutoff switch at the end or it just keeps running. Or maybe your claymore just needs 9.6 v already?

If you can't figure out a mechanical shutoff, you can do a more complicated 555 timer circuit that turns on the motor for like 1/2 second.

This circuit is better because it doesn't trigger when you apply power. The original one would trigger a little bit when power was applied.
phiz
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Wisenheimer » Fri May 13, 2011 1:34 pm

Thanks Phiz, another trip for parts is in order. I'll post vid when it's done. :D
Wisenheimer
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Mr. Technicality » Fri May 13, 2011 2:37 pm

I'm kind of disappointed that the question was already answered. I did something similar to this for an ENGR 100 project last fall. A setup with two SPDT relays and multiple different outputs.

I can vouch for the soundness of the proposed new electrical diagram. And I can point out the obvious that you're going to want to put your buzzer and your third light labeled "boom" in series with a resistor and the motor.

I can suggest a possible means of mechanical off switch. In addition to the pull string for your claymore, wrap a wire leading to the motor around the axel. When the motor starts spinning, it will wrap the wire around the axel and disconnect it. Use an insulated connector and work it with some needle-nose pliers until it's easy to separate.
I'm a "fair weather" airsofter. I only play in the pouring rain, freezing cold, or broiling heat.
Mr. Technicality
Soldier
Soldier

Postby DJ » Fri May 13, 2011 3:34 pm

Wisenheimer wrote:I have all the parts already. I intend on having big fat INERT on both sides of the briefcase. Maybe I'll make it say INERT TOY FOR AIRSOFT USE AND TRAINING ONLY

That really is my biggest concern. I intend on being able to fly on a plane the rest of my life, thank you very much!

This issue has come up before. be warned that you are playing with fire making a fake device. After 9-11 and the Woodburn bombing the LEA and FBI in this area are very much less than humorous regarding such devices. With all of the labels , warnings etc you can put on it, rest assured if a LEO comes across it......well you will not like what will happen.....
Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent,
and discerning if he holds his tongue.
DJ
Specops
Specops

Postby Wisenheimer » Fri May 13, 2011 3:52 pm

Hmm. Sound advice from a reliable source. Maybe I should just keep this in my head. The diagram I got off the internet from another airsoft forum, so it's already out there.
Wisenheimer
Ranger
Ranger

Return to Custom Projects