BDU Mods & Such

Discuss your own custom works and projects here.

BDU Mods & Such

Postby Wisenheimer » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:45 pm

Had the awesome Wife do some sewing for me. Pit zips, pockets moved, outer velcro on the arm pockets, pocket buttons replaced with velcro, velcro continuing from the buttons to the waist (I hate the crotch drapes look), velcro tabs on the collar to keep it shut for some neck-pro, and she sewed the velcro onto the patches.

Then I had her add a tab and D-ring to the inside of the Condor utility pouch, add a strip of velcro inside, the other velcro side to a cordura wallet, made me a new key chain to hook onto the D-ring. Then she added a strip of velcro to the outside for the name tape.

Still working on my kit, hence the funny placement of the M4 pouch.

NEW! Wife made me a combat shirt too!

Last edited by Wisenheimer on Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wisenheimer
Ranger
Ranger

Team: N/A

Postby Darius137 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:49 pm

I have no idea what "The crotch drapes look" is, but I am totally interested.

Also, are we looking at the back of your hydration carrier? If you make an M4 mag pouch on your back, put it sideways, so you can grab it easier.
Member of Rushing Russians KBДB (Cascadian VDV/Airborne) chapter.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/KEBAB.PARTY/
Darius137

Team: RR KBAB

Postby Wisenheimer » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:10 pm

Ya, it's the hydration carrier. Right now I'm using the M4 pouch to carry an extra set of eyepro. I'll be getting an H-harness and battle belt, and hopefully my new M4 before the end of the month. Then the pouch will be used on the belt and I'll put a stuffed bunny or something there instead. Everything may come off the carrier and go on the belt. Dunno. Have to get the belt and harness and futz around first.

May actually do the stuffed bunny.

The "crotch drape look" is when us fatties can't keep the bottom of the blouse from spreading up to the buttons. I'm sure there are terms for it, I just made up "crotch drapes look". Originally I wrote, "hot dog curtain", but that sounds like a loincloth. Tarzan loadout anyone?
Wisenheimer
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Wisenheimer » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:18 am

Added Combat Shirt to the list of Awesome Wife's accomplishments. Last pic above.
Wisenheimer
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Nimrod » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:48 am

Very industrious. Your wife did a great job..... Oh yeah digging that chair ;)
"What we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down"-Mary Pickford
Nimrod
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Wisenheimer » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:50 am

The chair, yeah. It's ancient. It is also soooooooo comfy. I'm going to reupholster it. Maybe I'll have my wife do it... :lol:

I think she actually knows how to do that... and thanks for the compliment!
Wisenheimer
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Nimrod » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:24 am

Yeah I have a chair like that. Orangish brown 30+ years old and soooooo comfortable. But anyways back on track. What did you use as the base for the combat shirt?
"What we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down"-Mary Pickford
Nimrod
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Amos » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:49 am

Woodland combat shirt?

Good taste. :)
"We are going to find their pole. Then we are going to smoke it. We are going to smoke their pole." -Summers
Amos
Specops
Specops

Team: APST

Postby Darius137 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:27 am

You're not showing it, but is there a button/zip front near the throat meat for the combat shirt?

I've never heard of that. When you said crotch drapes, I immediately thought of how the poor sewing on army ACU's leads to the crotch blowing out within months of going oveseas. Then the fact that soldiers don't wear underwear in that heat...

What size are you? For uniforms, they have every size imaginable. You can get an XXXS or something with shorter arms and wider thorax.
Member of Rushing Russians KBДB (Cascadian VDV/Airborne) chapter.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/KEBAB.PARTY/
Darius137

Team: RR KBAB

Postby Wisenheimer » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:39 pm

The base is a Rothco T. I'm going to have the wife sew on a backstrap and mock turtleneck, maybe even a little chest pocket. So, no zipper near the throat meat, just the mock turtleneck. Work in progress. I may even do another layer of T, especially if it shrinks too much.

Anyone ever wear a tactical dickie for airsoft? We used to sell them all the time at the shop, and I might use one for the neck. Unless the wife wants to knit it, she knows how to do that too. I am completely out-skilled. :lol:

I'm an XL in fatigues. The rest of my life is XXL. Right now the tight budget only allows for parts, and to use my wife as labor. By the time I'm done, total cost will be like $20.
Wisenheimer
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Regular Guy » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:13 pm

This post makes me want to get my sewing machine fixed... Very nice Wisenheimer!
You Fancy Huh?!
Regular Guy
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Wisenheimer » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:18 pm

Thanks for the compliments. My wife is all smiles. :D
Wisenheimer
Ranger
Ranger

Return to Custom Projects