Your Latest Custom Projects

Discuss your own custom works and projects here.

Postby quigly » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:35 pm

Is it using a sprinkler valve? Also, how thick of ABS are you using? And did you make sure to triple check it for premade fractures? Some host may have problems with a ABS pressure chamber do to the splintering threat.
My father once told me, "Some times all you have is a bullet and a prayer, don't miss."
quigly
Specops
Specops

Team: N/A

Postby Sir Stubby Eyre » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:53 am

quigly wrote:Is it using a sprinkler valve? Also, how thick of ABS are you using? And did you make sure to triple check it for premade fractures? Some host may have problems with a ABS pressure chamber do to the splintering threat.

Yes on the sprinkler valve. Standard thickness on the ABS, yes I checked on fractures, there are 2 layers of ABS with a vented expansion chamber between the layers. I am considering upgrading the internals to a metal tank and running CO2 so I have a faster reloading time.
Sir Stubby Eyre
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Sixxgun » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:38 pm

awesome job guys will post up a project I'm almost done with I'll get pics up asap
Sixxgun
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Jester316 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:41 pm

Sir Stubby Eyre wrote:
quigly wrote:Is it using a sprinkler valve? Also, how thick of ABS are you using? And did you make sure to triple check it for premade fractures? Some host may have problems with a ABS pressure chamber do to the splintering threat.

Yes on the sprinkler valve. Standard thickness on the ABS, yes I checked on fractures, there are 2 layers of ABS with a vented expansion chamber between the layers. I am considering upgrading the internals to a metal tank and running CO2 so I have a faster reloading time.

I would highly suggest not shooting that at people.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby quigly » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:00 pm

I doubt, or rather hope, that he already was planning on not shooting at people, but "armored" vehicles. I may have missed it, but waht pressure are you planning on using it at? Ans I don't spot a safety blow out valve. May want to look into it. Specially if you even plan to run CO2/HPA.
My father once told me, "Some times all you have is a bullet and a prayer, don't miss."
quigly
Specops
Specops

Postby Jester316 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:04 pm

Sir Stubby Eyre wrote: It works pretty good, Mikey of CAG's Sapper team managed to hit Strider of Dunedain Rangers center mast at about 100 ft. More luck of shot than true aiming he says.

This indicates that it's been used against human targets. I don't know if it was cleared before hand, however, launching that thing at a squishy body is not a good idea. There are reasons that games only let them be used as indirect weapons.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Postby quigly » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:17 pm

I plan(once I get my AEGs squared away) making a launcher and/or mortar system, and creating my own rounds by first molding expanding urethane into round stock, then turning them on a mini lathe to make different designs. Once the most consistent one is found, make a plaster mold out of it, and re make them using a much softer(actually squishy) expanding foam, so in the case it does hit a human, it won't do damage. How ever I see problems with this that I will have to work out once I get there(weight difference between foams). I find launching tennis balls extremely dangerous in games.
quigly
Specops
Specops

Postby Sir Stubby Eyre » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:55 pm

Jester316 wrote:
Sir Stubby Eyre wrote: It works pretty good, Mikey of CAG's Sapper team managed to hit Strider of Dunedain Rangers center mast at about 100 ft. More luck of shot than true aiming he says.

This indicates that it's been used against human targets. I don't know if it was cleared before hand, however, launching that thing at a squishy body is not a good idea. There are reasons that games only let them be used as indirect weapons.

It was aimed at a structure at the time, hitting a human target was unintentional. Strider said that the hit did not hurt at all, no worse that when thrown by hand.

There is no safety blow out valve or pressure regulator on the launcher, it is regulated at the time of filling. Compressor is regulated to 40 to 50 PSI MAX. It is double checked by a pressure gauge built into the filling tool.
Sir Stubby Eyre
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby quigly » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:14 pm

A built in gauge and blow out valve will make it a lot more appealing to game host, as without it, it may be a bomb(regardless of what the "filler" says).
quigly
Specops
Specops

Postby Russkie » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:53 pm

These air compressed launchers are not as powerful as everyone makes them out to be. Getting hit with a projectile from one will not hurt, especially if it's foam.

The 808th has a very similar launcher. In May, I volunteered to be shot with it. The round was a 2 inch thick sausage that was about 3 inches long. I was standing about a 100 feet away. The impact was not much worse then having a tennis ball thrown at you.

If you happened to unintentionally get shot with a foam rocket, such as Strider did, it would not hurt at all.
Russkie
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Russkie » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:24 pm

Currently building a RD-54 chest rig for my Soviet-Afghan War impression.

Inspiration.

Starting out with two Romanian 2 Cell AK Magazine Pouches (based off the Soviet RD-54 design). These pouches are like $1-2 a pop so that's why I'm using them. I actually got these for free (Pickles is awesome).

Next, one side of the pouches has been sliced open.

Now both have and I'm putting them together.

Here they are sewn together.

Backside.

Half sewing machine, half hand done. Looks janky.

Too bad my sewing machine broke in the process. :x

When I get the sewing machine fixed, I'll butcher this Indian rice bag for the chest rig.

To be continued...
Russkie
Ranger
Ranger

Postby quigly » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:42 am

Russkie wrote:These air compressed launchers are not as powerful as everyone makes them out to be. Getting hit with a projectile from one will not hurt, especially if it's foam.

The 808th has a very similar launcher. In May, I volunteered to be shot with it. The round was a 2 inch thick sausage that was about 3 inches long. I was standing about a 100 feet away. The impact was not much worse then having a tennis ball thrown at you.

If you happened to unintentionally get shot with a foam rocket, such as Strider did, it would not hurt at all.

1) I don't think people are going to be shot with sausages.
2) You have to think about it in a liability fashion. It can be the hosts a$$ on the line if someone gets hurt.
3) While yes, it may not hurt to get hit with a foam rocket, something like a tenis ball may hurt, specially to some of the youngsters(even younger then me) that play.
quigly
Specops
Specops

Postby Jester316 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:57 am

Russkie wrote:These air compressed launchers are not as powerful as everyone makes them out to be. Getting hit with a projectile from one will not hurt, especially if it's foam.

What about at 10'? What about the guy who unknowingly walks infront of it right as you pull the trigger? What if someone walks into the flight path at 30' out? Saying it doesn't hurt at 100' doesn't mean anything.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Postby CommieHunter » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:15 pm

Jester316 wrote:

What about at 10'? What about the guy who unknowingly walks infront of it right as you pull the trigger? What if someone walks into the flight path at 30' out? Saying it doesn't hurt at 100' doesn't mean anything.

There's a lot of possibilities out there if you guys would get off your little padded tethered high safety horse with a seatbelt. People play racquetball and tennis, and the balls there (especially racquetball) are hard and moving fast. No one complains about getting hit.

If he's taking reasonable precaution (i.e., using a compressor that doesn't load over 40-50 PSI), let it fly. When you host a game, you can ban this device. Or, you can not go if he's going to use it at games he's hosting.

I don't see how this device is any different than launching a nerf football from an M203. Those shells can be loaded with CO2 and power a nerf ball pretty fast and far.

If you had been around 10 years ago, you would've wanted people to use foam BBs and wear full face protection and groin protection. Criminy.
CommieHunter

Team: SOTA

Postby Jester316 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:28 pm

CommieHunter wrote:
Jester316 wrote:

There's a lot of possibilities out there if you guys would get off your little padded tethered high safety horse with a seatbelt. People play racquetball and tennis, and the balls there (especially racquetball) are hard and moving fast. No one complains about getting hit.

If he's taking reasonable precaution (i.e., using a compressor that doesn't load over 40-50 PSI), let it fly. When you host a game, you can ban this device. Or, you can not go if he's going to use it at games he's hosting.

I don't see how this device is any different than launching a nerf football from an M203. Those shells can be loaded with CO2 and power a nerf ball pretty fast and far.

If you had been around 10 years ago, you would've wanted people to use foam BBs and wear full face protection and groin protection. Criminy.

Adam, I have no issues with the devices being used. However, when introduced in this thread, there was no mention of it being used against material targets. Instead they talked about shooting a person with it (even unintentionally). I wanted to point out that these items are meant to be used against solid targets, and not squishy ones. I enjoy this sport, but I do not want to see someone get hurt.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

PreviousNext

Return to Custom Projects