Tired of waiting for nubs to come back, so I made my own

Discuss your own custom works and projects here.

Tired of waiting for nubs to come back, so I made my own

Postby Nox » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:25 pm

So I saw the airsoft industry blow up as a result of "Shredder's Concave Spacer", which was then taken over and produced by Polar Star..reading the reviews, they were constantly given 5 stars and rave reviews. But, after wanting one I waited..and waited...and waited even more for them to be produced and put back into stock on Evike and Airsoft GI. But later I found that there was some sort of 'thing' going on between the two, so the ETA on the nub was not to be known.

Tired of that, and impatient for them to be made coupled with being in school for manufacturing, I decided to make my own.
So, using measurements from a few hopup arms I have for AK's, measures from a handful of random BB's (taking the 'optimal' size of a bb) I was able to make the mock up of it in Solidworks.
Then, after having it programmed it was run on a lathe.

And here's the final product:

I have some of them for sale in the Classifieds section too if anyone is interested ;)
Nox

Team: N/A

Postby Amos » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:43 pm

Those look awesome, Skip. Well done!
"We are going to find their pole. Then we are going to smoke it. We are going to smoke their pole." -Summers
Amos
Specops
Specops

Team: APST

Postby Sir Stubby Eyre » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:48 pm

Looks good, how well does it work? And if you don't saying, what is the material that is is made out of? How much are they a piece?
Sir Stubby Eyre
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby quigly » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:19 pm

"These nubs are made of Delrin, are created on a full CNC lathe with a dry air system and are accurate in size to within .001 inches."

And they are $5 a piece.

That being said, I will get one shortly.
My father once told me, "Some times all you have is a bullet and a prayer, don't miss."
quigly
Specops
Specops

Postby Falcon7 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:09 pm

Which buckings should be used with these? I've yet to find one that doesn't have a built in nub.
Interested in joining Bop? Want to get rid of a broken gun? PM me.
Falcon7
Soldier
Soldier

Team: BoP

Postby code789 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:15 pm

could i have the solid work file so i can make my own too? :)
Sic vis pacem, para bellum
long live the republic
code789
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Freespace535 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:06 pm

Falcon7 wrote:Which buckings should be used with these? I've yet to find one that doesn't have a built in nub.

People used to be adamant about the Systema Bucking/SCS combo. If I recall correctly, it doesn't have one, so they recommend it with the SCS.
This is my signature. Hear it roar.
Freespace535
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Nox » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:22 pm

Freespace535 wrote:
Falcon7 wrote:Which buckings should be used with these? I've yet to find one that doesn't have a built in nub.

People used to be adamant about the Systema Bucking/SCS combo. If I recall correctly, it doesn't have one, so they recommend it with the SCS.

A nub with this shape works well with Prometheus Purple, Systema, Guarder and Stock buckings due to their thicknesses.

Sir Stubby Eyre wrote:Looks good, how well does it work?

I have a team mate that did some of the 'beta' testing with the nub, he had a MadBull nub in his gun, and replaced it with mine - he said they were very similar in accuracy and range. I need to get more information on how he used it so I can get better feedback however.

The list posted above has some commonly used pairings used with a nub of this shape - and while the industry (as far as I know) doesn't sell buckings without the built in nub, you can remove them yourself with a dremel and a diamond bit, or an abrasive implement like an emery board or nail file. (I have done this with one of my guns)

code789 wrote:could i have the solid work file so i can make my own too? :)

No wai! Get yer own mister! :P
Nox

Postby Nox » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:15 am

Amos wrote:Those look awesome, Skip. Well done!

Thanks Amos :)
Nox

Return to Custom Projects