Looking for prop ideas to build for events

Discuss your own custom works and projects here.

Postby Junto » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:06 pm

I've built rat trap mines, but they break after extended use. I'm working on a launcher design right now for the Fallout series, as well as trying to acquire simple props like ammo cans, crates, and so on. Containers are a very versatile game prop and shouldn't be overlooked. Old laptops and phones can be handy to have as well. Prop bombs can be complicated to deal with, as Jester mentioned, but any prop is worth it if you can get players to pay enough attention to them.
Junto

Team: DRAT

Postby Riddick » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:45 pm

garage sales are great for props and very cheap.
Like us on Facebook: TBA
Check out our events: I'm coming back 2024
Riddick

Team: N/A

Postby Stray » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:57 pm

Riddick wrote:garage sales are great for props and very cheap.

How so? Have any examples?
Stray
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Stray » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:07 pm

@DJ thanks for the info about all that. I will talk to everyone about it. Maybe we can put a digital egg timer hooked up to a speaker and put it in a airsoft pistol case that way it doesnt look bomb like then we will paint it up orange and red so it xan be seen. That way when the event it over it can be torn apart or something to prevent further useage. This is trial run for this feild if it goes well he will host more if not it's not a big Loss for us. As you said this is very touchy groud and thank you for that. I'll talk to them also to see if they are willing to rule out bomb place disarm games too. Of they do it would help cut alot of danger about that kinda of stuff out too. Also how many do you own? We have a area of about 8 feet wide and 13 feet long of pure sand and soft dirt we need to cover on either side of the road before the bridge. How many so you think we should try to get?
Stray
Soldier
Soldier

Postby DJ » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:29 pm

Stray wrote:@DJ thanks for the info about all that. I will talk to everyone about it. Maybe we can put a digital egg timer hooked up to a speaker and put it in a airsoft pistol case that way it doesnt look bomb like then we will paint it up orange and red so it xan be seen. That way when the event it over it can be torn apart or something to prevent further useage. This is trial run for this feild if it goes well he will host more if not it's not a big Loss for us. As you said this is very touchy groud and thank you for that. I'll talk to them also to see if they are willing to rule out bomb place disarm games too. Of they do it would help cut alot of danger about that kinda of stuff out too. Also how many do you own? We have a area of about 8 feet wide and 13 feet long of pure sand and soft dirt we need to cover on either side of the road before the bridge. How many so you think we should try to get?

We have 15 of the water mines. If properly placed, (random) you could get by with a 1/2 dozen. It is pretty amazing how you can deny access to an area once people become aware of them. At one of the recent training's, a guy who was probing for the mines stepped on another one that he missed and two more "died" while observing the clearing guy.....the area was much larger than you describe. They only "found" 10 of the lot, and they were only covered with straw grass. The rest were still waiting for the unsuspecting. Its kind of a primitive thing I guess, but people kind of freak when there's some "Mines" present, and slow waaay down and watch their feet, and not the terrain ( great place for SAW ambush ala Viet Nam). This is the desired effect. You can also steer people onto the mines by using brambles, simulated concertina, etc, people are inherently lazy and will avoid difficult terrain / obstacles. You can use this inherent fact to your advantage and maximize the mines that you have . Its kind of a sick pleasure to "kill" the unsuspecting without even being present. The water mines are loud enough that you can usually hear them go off, not to mention the "aw shits", that people yell when they trip one.
One of our guys even found some actual red mine triangle signs....it adds a nice touch.

We made some fake punji sticks, ( again Viet Nam) they were very cool and effectively steered the folks onto the mines.

Another thing we use pretty effectively is trip wire actuated blank firing "perimeter" alarms. At one game we got 50 people with one blank ( bunched up/ 15 foot kill radius) The trips are pretty innocuous looking, even if the cops look at them.

http://www.hi-vel.com/Catalog__25/Perim ... _acce.html

I think as long as you keep your props contained on your own property, you are good. Its the transport on public highways that would be an area of concern. Use discretion and if in doubt, don't.

Oh and let me renew my offer to all of you out there in AP land, our mine field is for rent, cost = free admission to your event for my sapper squad and enough co2 cartridges for the mines!
Last edited by DJ on Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent,
and discerning if he holds his tongue.
DJ
Specops
Specops

Postby Riddick » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:43 pm

Stray wrote:
Riddick wrote:garage sales are great for props and very cheap.

How so? Have any examples?

I picked up 3 wooden ammo crates for $3ea

I picked up a metal briefcase for $4

also picked up a few metal ammo cans for $2ea

You can also score satellite dishes and a bunch of other items that can be useful.
Riddick

Postby Stray » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:42 pm

Ah ok I'll try to keep my eyes out then.

@Riddick think I could PM you I have alot of questions about hosting events and things. Think you could help me out?
Stray
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Riddick » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:09 pm

Stray wrote:Ah ok I'll try to keep my eyes out then.

@Riddick think I could PM you I have alot of questions about hosting events and things. Think you could help me out?

I will do my best. I am pretty busy with three events of my own (2 posted right now) and a soft opening on a new airsoft shop in a few weeks but I will answer to the best of my abilities.
Riddick

Postby Payback » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:31 pm

I've just finished these for the games we hold in our area. They are small plastic boxes and are 6 1/2" X 4" X 1". They will hold little maps, updated objectives, keys to the beer cooler, whatever. We tend to place them around the 15 acres at different corners and you get a map to one, then have to return it, then in that box is a map to another, ect. ect. Really gets people to move around the whole field instead of getting boxed in at one spot.

On another note, i saw that Junto mentioned old laptops and phones. I have an old non-working dell laptop and a bunch of old phones that i could lend/donate/trade to an event host if needed.
AKA: rbm33

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty
Payback
Ranger
Ranger

Team: A.S.T.D.

Postby Stray » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:46 pm

I just bought 2 broken laptops today For 3 bucks accutally lol I want to find old sat dishes and build fake wires from it to a laptop make it look like some kind of sat comm thing. As for phones maybe like an old telephone repair man phone things and spray them OD green or tab and put a walkie in the pouch so you have to find the phone the. You can call in hide like 3 or 4 out and make it a commless game so you would have to find phones and take them fro
The other team to make the calls. But they seem to e expensive lol. But we need more stuff like that to build cooler props.

@rbm33 where did you get those boxes at? And the stencles? That idea for te game is really different from what I'm use to seeing. It's like a scavengerhunt mixed in to a airsoft game which could get tricky. Thanks for that tip. Tobad our feild is maybe like 4 acres I think.

Does anyone else have any prop or game ideas? Pleae keep them comming.
Stray
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Payback » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:25 am

I got the boxes from my office. I was cleaning out old discs and computer crap and they were old tape drive cases. I made the stencils myself. I found an image, put it into paint, sized it, taped a piece of paper over my laptop, drew the image, then put tape on the box after i painted it black, cut the stencil image into the tape with an exacto knife, then removed the parts i wanted to paint, and painted :)
AKA: rbm33

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty
Payback
Ranger
Ranger

Team: A.S.T.D.

Postby Matt » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:48 am

We made a bomb for CounterStruck, a counterstrike themed CQB event by connecting an MP3 player to loud speakers. We had the sound effects from the game loaded on the player with a timed delay (silence in the track), it would start with "Bomb has been planted..." and then after a while it started it's beeping, all the way to the actually explosion sound followed by a "terrorists win" for good measure.

Basically all we did was buy a cheap metal case with a combination. The "diffuser" had to put in the combination to open the lock, open the case, and then press stop on the MP3 player before the bomb went off. We strapped the MP3 device to an old HDD.

In an outdoor environment, speakers probably aren't going to carry far enough, but a good cheap case with a combination lock was a great way to delay a diffusing by forcing the person at the bomb to at least do something before they open it up.
Matt

Team: APST

Postby Viking67 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:17 pm

Another option for short-range directional mines is baking powder. It shows up on dark clothes very well so people know when they're hit, plus you can usually see the blast area outlined on the ground after the powder settles. One of these got me in a MOUT scenario this summer. Scared the shazaam out of me when it went off :P
Viking67
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Stray » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:19 am

@Matt thanks for that tip I'm going to try to build one of those today after I find that old mp3. I'll see what I can do. As for a lock I'll have to figure it out the pistol case I have is a cheap KWA boxes you get when you order it. I will have to borrow a drill or so
Ething to drill the handle out. Speaking of which does anyone know where I can get a lot of these cheap or free? Lol they arenperfect size for alot of prop ideas I got and have foam and stuff in them so it can keep the prop inside nice and kit more around.
Stray
Soldier
Soldier

Previous

Return to Custom Projects