Flintlock replica design idea's

Discuss your own custom works and projects here.

Flintlock replica design idea's

Postby pathfinder » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:20 pm

hey all, Morgan here. i once upon a time, had a team called Morgans Riflemen. i loved the revolutionary history of Rogers Rangers and Daniel Morgans riflemen companies. this is the history of guerrilla warfare, and when we broke away from the conventional warfare tactics of the day, rank and file line shooting. back in those days the commands were issued to rank and file troops " READY, LEVEL....FIRE!". it was ready level fire, because in those days the weapons were highly inaccurate smooth bore weapons. thus there was no aim. we broke away from this and began shooting and targeting British soldiers with accurate fire from rifled barrels of small caliber. the Kentucky or Pennsylvania rifles were all made by German immigrants that lived in those colonies. some of the colonial rifles made during this era were of the finest quality and brought with it, German craftsmanship and rifled barrels. highly accurate these rifles wielded by the minutemen, and patriot conscripts and colonial militias are what won several wars from the 1750's well into the 1790's.

well, when i had the team, alot of people would ask me at games about a flintlock rifle, and we would joke about it, but back in my mind.... as a sniper, i always thought how cool would it be if i could replicate a single shot flintlock weapon and how cool would it be to have it be a effective platform, just as any other bolt action on the field and once more, how cool would it be to let out a blood curdling war cry after you shot someone with it and they call hit and see what you shot them with and drop thier head in shame....LOLz would be had and it would be epic. or to be safety killed by me holding said weapon.

i have been shooting at some of you with basically a flint lock. my weapon platform more often then not has been a single shot weapon that shots a round ball out of a smooth bore, quite inaccurately i might add.....but i seem to put my own magic, my Kentucky windage on it and its like magic. i can send out a 6mm projectile that weights less then nothing out past 60 yards with accuracy. why not do it with a replica that actually looks like one.

so i have come up with a few designs for this. here is some of the criteria:

DESIGN ELEMENTS
long inner barrel.
based of a VSR Cylinder and after market parts.
trigger, sears are hardened steel
unique new cup tipped cylinder head
belled out cylinder head
must shoot 450 FPS with a .20

LOADING MECHANISM.

remember your old daisy red rider or other ol BB gun. some you loaded from the side into a reservoir...but some you loaded from a tube that ran the length of the barrel. this fed the weapon. i want something similar to this but with a catch. now all flintlocks are black powder weapons, so you kept your powder in a powder horn, well for this weapon one of the accessories is a powder horn that hold your BBs. you simulate reloading your weapon, you would take a small spring loaded rod out of the loading area.. and pour about 25-30 BBs into it and replace the rod, not jamming it, but just putting it back on place. the action of pushing the rod would push the BBs into a internal magazine that would feed the platform. i would also like to hide a standard VSR slider hop up unit somewhere along the barrel in the same place.

COCKING MECHANISM.

there is no bolt arm. on a normal bolt action rifle, there is a arm that moves up and pulls the piston back into place to lock in with the trigger sears. well in my design, i wan the bolt to be hidden or disguised. since this is a flintlock replica there is no bolt arm to pull back the piston, so i want to hide it as the antire LOCK ASSEMBLY. in the black powder real steel version of a flintlock weapon, you pull back the lock or "cock". it has 2 positions....half cock, and full cock.

in my design i want the user to grab the "cock" ( HAHA see what i did here!) and pull strait back. this will pull out the cylinder and set the piston just like in a standard VSR. then you push it back into place. this action sets the piston into the sears of the trigger mech, while also grabbing one BB from
the interal mag and putting it into battery for firing.

having a long tight bore would be awesome.

if this was made from real wood i would cream my jeans.if this was made from plastic i would want it as realistic as possible looking wood, infact i would want it to have a replica grain set in to it that would make it look like curly maple wood for a very finished look. with that and alot of brass parts as funiture this would make a stunning replica indeed, with a powder horn and shooters bag, this would make a awesome addition to any reenactors kit and bring a whole new market into the airsoft world and possible bring a new level of LARPsim play to many communities that enjoy this type of reenactment.

this is just my ideas and my .2 cents.....and around here that densest mean jack shit lately. i miss KA-BAR sometimes.
Promoters who charge $40 for a game they just copy and paste, does not give a crap about you, they care about money.
pathfinder
Soldier
Soldier

Team: DRAT

Re: Flintlock replica design idea's

Postby code789 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:06 pm

the KTW flintlock carbine did a good job using the "cock" ;) to pull the spring back but it would be nice to use the same mechanism to operate a gas system IMO something similar to the matrix 1892 lever action
Sic vis pacem, para bellum
long live the republic
code789
Ranger
Ranger

Team: N/A

Postby pathfinder » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:11 pm

HOLY SHIT, how did you find that. i am done here.....gonna get me one of these if they are available.
Promoters who charge $40 for a game they just copy and paste, does not give a crap about you, they care about money.
pathfinder
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Darius137 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:25 pm

I've been looking for something like this as well: http://www.cascadianairsoft.com/viewtop ... =28&t=2023
Member of Rushing Russians KBДB (Cascadian VDV/Airborne) chapter.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/KEBAB.PARTY/
Darius137

Team: RR KBAB

Postby Steve » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:02 am

Sorry it took so long to get back to this.

I've been thinking of ways to do this, and here's what I came up with:

Gas. All about the gas.

The powder horn contains a bunch of pellets. When a nipple on the end of the powder horn is inserted into the barrel at the muzzle, it releases a pellet into the barrel. The pellet is seated at the back of the barrel with the tamping rod. gas is stored in the stock. The hammer hits a gas relief valve where the percussion cap would go, just like how current gas pistols work. And from there: profit.

Rather than hitting 450 FPS with a typical 6mm pellet, I'd build it to run the 8mm "marbles".

Note: Coonskin cap not included.
This Week In Airsoft wrote:This Week in Airsoft stands behind its statement... The internet and YouTube can be your teacher.

Steve

Postby spazzticsmurff » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:28 am

ill see if i can get you an email for my buddy mark but he has done this exact thing with a spring rifle allready. base was a tanaka m40 i do believe.you actualy have to use the loading rod to cock the gun and load the bb.
pm me with your email and ill see if i can get you 2 hooked up to trade info.
spazzticsmurff
Soldier
Soldier

Postby pathfinder » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:21 pm

now this is cool.
pathfinder
Soldier
Soldier

Return to Custom Projects