MK18 Build

Discuss your own custom works and projects here.

MK18 Build

Postby Dennis - Crossbow » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:35 pm

Hey all, I thought I'd share a build I did a few months back. My primary AEG for the past 8 years has been a KWA SR10 that I purchased from Airsoft Outlet NW, R.I.P. :cry: After many years of great plastic BB slinging performance the SR10 was getting loose in in a bunch of places so it was time to retire it to the parts bin. What to do, I have many replicas but really prefer to keep to one for regular field use. I needed something new :D

Back to all the replicas and a KWA CQR MOD2 that had been collecting dust for years. I had replaced the upper with a metal one many years back. This is basically a new AEG, all nice a tight. Idea :idea:

OK it was decided, I'm going to build a MK18 8)

I have not gone into a lot of details here, but shard the highlights and some specific parts I really like.

The old SR10, MOD2 and parts. My new favorite cylinder is a Lonex Stainless Steel Cylinder, this one is ported. Also a Matrix Silent Piston Head and matching Matrix Silent Cylinder Head. I also used these parts on a HK417D build I did and will share a few of those pictures as well. The barrel is a Madbull 6.01.

If you are familiar with the old KWAs and those 4 piece (pos) uppers you have experienced the wobble.
You can buy a one piece upper or try my little trick.

Here is the upper broken down.

Best cleaner for metal parts, don't forget the eye pro

Oh yes, the good old reliable J-B Weld :)
I used this same trick on my LM4 and even with the gas blow-back recoil the upper is solid.

Attaching the Picatinny rail takes some care. Fill the pocket on the rear of the rail and make sure you apply sparingly to the upper where the rail sits

Quickly clean up any J-B that may of squeezed out.

Dont forget the inside of the upper. Any extra J-B will interfere with the charging handle

Here is the assembled upper. Wait at least 24 hours before applying paint. This is Krylon Camo Paint (Khaki color). I really like this paint, it is inexpensive, very flat and easy to use. This color is a bit tan and doesn't match the Magpul FDE well, more on that later on.

You can see the MOD2 cylinder is ported for a short barrel, thus the new one. This gearbox is front wired, I need it rear wired.

Trigger contacts from the MOD2, I run 11.1 Lipos and mostly semi auto, its havoc on trigger contacts and they deteriorate very quickly. I have a solution I'm pulling from the SR10.

Yes, that's a BTC Spectre installed in its new home. Wire routing is key notice how they are laid out.

20823 20822
After lubing the one side I noticed I forgot to remove the wire hold down pins from the right gearbox side :-X These need to be filed down or they will pinch the larger wires of the BTC.

All is good now, BTC and gears installed and box is lubed :-p

The cutoff level and trigger safety lock are deleted when installing a BTC. That's the only thing I don't like about the BTC. When your AEG is in safe the trigger can still be pulled. I wont fire, just something to get used to.

Here is a closeup of the GB internal parts. I'm going to reuse the Madbull PX-02 piston that was in the MOD2. My SR10 had have the same piston in for 7 years, 100Ks of BB fired.

Don't forget the loctite on the piston head screw.

Teflon tape is a airsmiths best friend. I did not need it here, but sometimes you need to wrap the piston head seals before you install it in the cylinder.

All assembled notice the cylinder head port location

Ok, another fav part is the Godzilla 5000 motor, why? It's one powerful little spinner. You can see the PTS grip installed in the background.

Ok, remember I need to convert to a rear wire, the GB is complete, now the buffer-tube. I was going the use the buffer-tube screw and retainer from the SR10 (on the right) looks a bit tweaked to me.

I temporarily installed the retainer and marked it (left circle, notice the white under the wire) The right circle shows where you may nee to remove some metal from the sling plate so it wont pinch the wire.

20835 20834
Here is the retainer with the newly added notch for the wire. The right tools make this easy.

OK, now time for that sexy Danial Defense rail 8)

Shims may be needed to hold the barrel securely. BTW this outer barrel is from the MOD2.

Upper assembled and installed. You can see how tan the upper looks in this photo.

Now the most difficult part :wink: installing the stock.

Almost there ... :-D

Nice grips are expensive, and everyone has their favorite. Here is mine, unfortunately its from the SR10 and painted to match

How to remove paint ... yes I'm lucky I have a sandblasting cabinet. First attempt on plastic, I normally reserve this "glassbead" media for Aluminum or Magnesium, that's another story.

This worked very well and you dont' need a cabinet, you can do this outside.

the grip is all cleaned, but looks a bit weird.

Lets try a bit of silicone to bring back the orgional black color.

Light sprays and a little RUBBING :rockon: bring the color back.

Now the sight. Sandblasted the outer shield of the FAKE Eotech and painted with my new Fav Flat Black Paint

did the same with the buffer-tube. This mat-flat black paint is Awesome, love it ....

Sharing "Zero Rust" with you.

All assembled with optics and a PEQ

I hope you enjoyed this overview. I will be posting a few pictures from my HK417 D build I did, but that will be in another forum.

Eye pro is also important in the shop, 8) Be safe whenever airsmithing.
Thank you,
Dennis "Crossbow"

Remember to like us on Facebook and follow us on YouTube, Twitter and Instragram
Dennis - Crossbow
Administrator
Administrator

Team: N/A

Re: MK18 Build

Postby Norseman » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:31 pm

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum- ... /307244921

This is closer to FDE than the light tan.
Norseman
Sponsor
Sponsor

Team: SDD

Postby Dennis - Crossbow » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:44 pm

Fast forward to September 2022. I'm not on the field for more than 5 mins at Civil War and my replica starts mis-feeding/not feeding. Getting home and removing the upper I see the air nozzle is sticking out it tongue at me :shock:

Well, breaking down the gear box I find the silent piston head has come apart and in the process changed my AOE breaking off the back of the piston. I may have to rethink using those silent piston head and cylinder head :idea:

Luckily I had a spare piston and cylinder head. I had also recently picked up the Mad Bull Orange - 02 piston 8)

I got everything put back together and ran it for the second half of Camp R&Rs Convoy 6 game with no issues.

Can I really complain about a failed part, this is my primary and was originally put together in October of 2019
:ownage:
Thank you,
Dennis "Crossbow"

Remember to like us on Facebook and follow us on YouTube, Twitter and Instragram
Dennis - Crossbow
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Pacman » Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:10 pm

Great thread Dennis, I miss wrenching on the airsofts
2010 AP player of the year
Pacman
Specops
Specops