Hey, there!

New to Airsoft Pacific? Start here, read the RULES thread and please feel free to introduce yourself.

Hey, there!

Postby RoseRed » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:51 pm

Hey, everyone. I'm brand new to airsoft so just thought I'd post a little introduction.

I only know one person who does airsoft and was hoping to get to know some people who possibly are a little bit more casual about it, and who wouldn't mind playing with a woman. I'm just a bit intimidated about being both a n00b and a woman with no military experience or anything. ;) If there are any other women players in the Portland-metro area or just Oregon in general, give me a shout! I'd feel so much less like a fish out of water if I found some other girls to play and/or practice with. :)

Anyways, I'm thinking about going with my brother to the Swamp event on the 27th unless I chicken out. It sounds pretty cool so hopefully there will be a good turnout.
RoseRed
Recruit
Recruit

Team: N/A

Re: Hey, there!

Postby Shortbu » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:23 am

You should go to the swamp. No reason to chicken out,we all started somewhere. I bet you'll find most of us to be very supportive, and the negative is the exception, not the norm, when it comes to noobs.
I started off with a couple of skirmishes in Silverton with my son, and now I go every chance I get. Riddick puts on some of the larger games in the area, and they are very noob friendly, and he's putting one on Memorial weekend (highly suggest). His games have basic team oriented objectives,usually raffles,camping, night games, a Bon fire, and tons of good times.
And I highly suggest the Summer Slaughter game my team puts on in July. It's geared torwards both new and experienced players alike,and grows from year to year. There are vendors selling goods at good prices, raffles, swap meet,the main game with smaller sub-games, pistol competitions.It's usually the highlight of my airsoft year. We put an emphasis on promoting the game to the newer players, and promoting growth.
Basically, just jump in feet first, don't be intimidated, and have a good time with some good people. Welcome and hope to see you out there!
Joke em' if they can't take a shazaam!
Shortbu
Soldier
Soldier

Team: SpecDet1

Postby ClownBaby » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:03 am

In my opinion you, if your seeking a low key, intimidation free environment. Checkout Camp R&R's next game. Their fun for all skill levels and ages. It's close to town, and they have it setup well for players to get help easily (I.E. renting gear, fixing gear, gettin' food and drinks, clean, real bathrooms-not porta potties) as where the other games mentioned ARE NOT setup for new-new players. Plus theirs ALWAYS other women there! Half the staff are women. As where at some games, being the only girl there can get, lets just say, "creepy."

Hope to see you out there! Good luck. And welcome.
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby Shortbu » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:08 am

ClownBaby wrote:In my opinion you, if your seeking a low key, intimidation free environment. Checkout Camp R&R's next game. Their fun for all skill levels and ages. It's close to town, and they have it setup well for players to get help easily (I.E. renting gear, fixing gear, gettin' food and drinks, clean, real bathrooms-not porta potties) as where the other games mentioned ARE NOT setup for new-new players. Plus theirs ALWAYS other women there! Half the staff are women. As where at some games, being the only girl there can get, lets just say, "creepy."

Hope to see you out there! Good luck. And welcome.

While I do agree R&R is a very good suggestion for the new player (can't believe I left that one out), I have to respectfully disagree with the statement of the other games being mentioned are not. Every time I've gone out to Riddicks games, there have been brand new players that have had a great time. In fact at Red Dawn, my sons girlfriend played for her first time ever, and now she talks about it all the time. She had a freaking blast!
The skirms are usually pretty low key, and there have been few that I've been to that had no new players, and not once have I heard one say they wouldn't be back. It's actually been to the contrary.
Something to keep in mind- telling a new (especially a woman) player, that the airsoft community can be "creepy", does nothing to 1)promote the sport or,2) ease her feelings of being intimidated. In fact it may scare her off. I hope that wasnt your intention, but that's how it came across to me. Anything a woman does in a community primarily made up of men, can get creepy. It's not regulated to the airsoft community. I know I for one would not hesitate to stand up for a female player who was being made uncomfortable by someone's comments or actions, and I'm fairly certain there are plenty of stand up guys willing to do the same.
Joke em' if they can't take a shazaam!
Shortbu
Soldier
Soldier

Team: SpecDet1

Postby ClownBaby » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:29 am

What I ment by creepy was any time there's a female at ANY typically all male anything, it becomes a pissing match for dominance and or, a million bad sex puns. Especially at the bonfires when there's alcohol involved. So, my suggestion is to try out CampR&R, then if airsoft is to you, go to an overnight game. I'm sure I'm not saying anything she doesn't already know about the male psyche.

As for the games you mentioned, those were two of my first games, and if I didn't have knowledge about guns and military ops, I would have felt very out of place. Just saying R&R is much more user friendly for everyone, & closer to her primary location.

Better?
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Postby RoseRed » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:57 pm

Thanks for replying, Shortbu and ClownBaby :) I appreciate the support and am feeling a lot better about just trying it out and seeing how it goes. So far it seems like people are pretty friendly on this site so I don't have too much to worry about as far as my gender goes. My noobishness, of course, is another issue altogether. :D My brother has been kind enough to help me "train" a little bit before I actually do anything and spent some time today showing me guns on Call of Duty (yes, I'm that ignorant about guns).

I'm definitely interested in R&R but have to work that Saturday so I'll keep an eye out for future R&R events. I'm glad it's so close, since so many events will be a bit of a drive for me. I'll remember to watch for Riddick's games and the Summer Slaughter, too -- sounds fun. I like the idea of raffles, vendors and bonfires... plenty of opportunity to get to know some people, which will help me feel more comfortable in itself.

See ya around and thanks again!
RoseRed
Recruit
Recruit

Postby ClownBaby » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:34 am

I'm sure some people will disagree with me on this.(what's new)

You might want to checkout Oregon Airsofters Arena on a Friday or Saturday night. This would allow you to do several things.

You could watch others play from the observation deck upstairs, get some basic tactics in yer head.

Hit their pro-shop and peruse gear.
Two pieces you should have are facemask of some kind, half or full.

And either some heavy duty, but flexible leather gloves or thinner more flexible material gloves with either plastic or padded armoured bits.

The shooting ranges upstairs would be a great place to learn basic weapon handing skills, and to pickup tips from other shooters/staff. Knowing how to use your weapon / what it's gonna do good or bad to you when it gets "hot," has low battery, low ammo, ect. are key BEFORE you go trying to use it in a fight.

So the only thing left is to go get shot! It's gonna surprise you how much it hurts the first time, but shortly after you'll be like "ok, that wasn't that bad." It's better just to get outta the way, which WILL happen indoors. I've seen some noobs playing their first game outdoors. They spend all day hiding, and totally stressed out. Because their so afraid of getting shot, they don't have any fun. Plus once your geared up for indoor, and can take a close range hit, you won't have any problems outdoor.

Have fun, happy hunting
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Postby McNair » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:01 am

RoseRed wrote:...
I'm definitely interested in R&R but have to work that Saturday so I'll keep an eye out for future R&R events...

Pretty much all events at R&R are Saturday and Sunday. Sunday is typically a bit more low key using less of the field(due to the generally lower numbers than Saturday)but there are still a good number of people who attend. During the summers a lot of people also camp out throughout the weekend.
McNair

Postby w.hopper » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:42 am

ClownBaby wrote: So the only thing left is to go get shot! It's gonna surprise you how much it hurts the first time, but shortly after you'll be like "ok, that wasn't that bad." It's better just to get outta the way, which WILL happen indoors. I've seen some noobs playing their first game outdoors. They spend all day hiding, and totally stressed out. Because their so afraid of getting shot, they don't have any fun. Plus once your geared up for indoor, and can take a close range hit, you won't have any problems outdoor.

Haha, RoseRed's Brother here. Not to worry - I'll make sure she knows the pain of getting shot... many, many times. :badgrin:
w.hopper
Recruit
Recruit

Postby celtic33 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:23 pm

hello welcome to airsoft unfortunately I can help out much I am still kinda new at this too but it is really fun. :D
" I could have killed ’em all, I could kill you. In town you’re the law, out here it’s me. Don’t push it. Don’t push it or I’ll give you a war you won’t believe. Let it go. Let it go."
celtic33
Grunt
Grunt

Postby CrusaderActual » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:10 pm

Welcome mi amor! Wait...
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words are merely the smallest element of language capable of containing meaning in isolation and as such could never directly produce the 4000 newtons of force per square centimeter required to break bone.
CrusaderActual
Grunt
Grunt

Return to Introductions and Orientation