Airsoft and Age

New to Airsoft Pacific? Start here, read the RULES thread and please feel free to introduce yourself.

Airsoft and Age

Postby Soapmac » Wed May 07, 2014 5:49 pm

Hey guys. New player here. This seemed like the best place to post this for someone like me, so here goes: I was wondering what your guys' opinions are of younger players. I'm almost 15 and am just getting into the sport with as little as money as possible, but I don't want other, older and more experienced players immersion and fun to be ruined by looking at me and thinking "Oh great, another COD loving try-hard newbie " Again, I'm not exactly rich (my current loadout only consists of a CM028, an extra mag and face protection) and wanted to try out the sport for a bit and see if it's my kind of thing.
Soapmac
Recruit
Recruit

Team: N/A

Re: Airsoft and Age

Postby Soapmac » Wed May 07, 2014 5:56 pm

Also, I was thinking about attending Infidel Bash this year which is what led me to ask. Is my current bare-bones set up going to be acceptable enough without getting totally demolished?
Soapmac
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Shortbu » Wed May 07, 2014 6:29 pm

We all started somewhere. There may be some guys that think oh great, another noob. That's their problem. You should just come out, and play. Really that's the only way to get started.
Just pay attention to the veteran players, and learn from them. Most of the guys, myself included, don't have a problem with helping a noob out, as long as they aren't a pest.
Having extra mags is nice, but till you can afford some, just have some trigger discipline, keep a bag of ammo with you, and reload consistently.
You should come to the Infidel game. Riddick does a good job of hosting, and there is always a pretty good mix of noobs, and veteran players.
Don't let what others may think stop you. They need to remember they were once a noob as well.
Hope to see you out there.
BTW, kudos to you on your first post. Had you have not stated your age, probably wouldn't have realized how young you are.
Joke em' if they can't take a shazaam!
Shortbu
Soldier
Soldier

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Soapmac » Wed May 07, 2014 6:45 pm

Thank you so much for helping a noob out. Hopefully by the time the game rolls around I'll have scrounged together enough money to buy some more mid-caps and maybe even something to carry them in. I attended the paintball Supergame last year and I have to admit I felt a little intimidated by not having any gear besides the rental gun and mask. Luckily I was in a tank with Shrek half of the time so I didn't get creamed.
Soapmac
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Shortbu » Wed May 07, 2014 7:11 pm

No problem. I actually enjoy helping out the noobs unless, as I said before, they are a pest.
Shrek has started hosting airsoft games at his place (The Swamp). Has one coming up I believe in June. Pretty cool place. Not sure where you're from, The Swamp is in Lebanon, but if you can make it, it's a pretty cool place as well.
If you make it out to the Infidel game, look me up. I'm not that hard to find. Just ask around for Shortbus, enough people there know me and will point you in the right direction. I'm planning on going with my son (call sign Nug). He's 17 and doesn't mind helping out a noob either.
Shortbu
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Jester316 » Wed May 07, 2014 7:51 pm

Plenty of under 16 people have had long happy stays here. There are a few things to note:

1) We are more than happy to help those that help themselves. Google is great to answer most questions. In the upper right corner is a search feature to search this website. If those don't answer your question, I'm sure someone here will be able to. But if you come here with a very simple question that has been answered a hundred times, be ready to see a shit storm.

2) We can be sarcastic. Don't worry, it's just how we are.

3) Don't pretend you know everything. People who get a know it all attitude tend to get beat down very quickly.

4) Come to games, and play. Call your hits, be honorable. If someone says come with me and assault "X" objective, do it! It's great to get young people willing to follow commands and not just run off trying to get a higher Kill/Death ratio.

5) Don't worry about your Kill/Death ratio. It doesn't matter. We don't give awards, fun banners, or other shit for it. At the end of the day, we are all dressing up and playing army man.

6) Grammar. This is very important for someone of your age. Spell correctly, use punctuation, and for the love of god, proof read your sentences. Use the spell check feature on your web browser. Nothing you have to say (and this goes for everyone) is so important you can't proof read your post. By showing us you care about your image online, it will translate to the respect we give you on the field.

Those are the pointers I've given to many people over the years. Lots of people have flourished and had long happy stays here. Welcome to the sport that is more addicting than cocaine and cost just as much.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Postby Shortbu » Wed May 07, 2014 8:58 pm

Jester316 wrote:Plenty of under 16 people have had long happy stays here. There are a few things to note:

1) We are more than happy to help those that help themselves. Google is great to answer most questions. In the upper right corner is a search feature to search this website. If those don't answer your question, I'm sure someone here will be able to. But if you come here with a very simple question that has been answered a hundred times, be ready to see a shit storm.

2) We can be sarcastic. Don't worry, it's just how we are.

3) Don't pretend you know everything. People who get a know it all attitude tend to get beat down very quickly.

4) Come to games, and play. Call your hits, be honorable. If someone says come with me and assault "X" objective, do it! It's great to get young people willing to follow commands and not just run off trying to get a higher Kill/Death ratio.

5) Don't worry about your Kill/Death ratio. It doesn't matter. We don't give awards, fun banners, or other shit for it. At the end of the day, we are all dressing up and playing army man.

6) Grammar. This is very important for someone of your age. Spell correctly, use punctuation, and for the love of god, proof read your sentences. Use the spell check feature on your web browser. Nothing you have to say (and this goes for everyone) is so important you can't proof read your post. By showing us you care about your image online, it will translate to the respect we give you on the field.

Those are the pointers I've given to many people over the years. Lots of people have flourished and had long happy stays here. Welcome to the sport that is more addicting than cocaine and cost just as much.

Well played brother, well played.
Shortbu
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ClownBaby » Wed May 07, 2014 11:21 pm

Hey Soapmac, welcome to AP! First post was freaking hilarious!

Noobs rule as long as your there to work. It's very frustrating to (for example) be guarding something and look over to see a noob staring at the ground or shooting a stump. Not good. Airsoft, as well as real warfare, will have huge gaps of time that are super boring. That's a really bad time to get complacent, start goofing off, or space out. I know it's a game but, if you want people to wanna work with you, yah gotta stay on yer toes. Personally I love rolling with any noob that comes to the fight hungry and focused!

As far as gear goes. Some of us prefer to run with a lot less gear, so don't worry if you aren't fully kitted out yet. Even though your only 15, (which means your probably in better shape than 90% of us!) you still need to drink plenty of water. THIS IS NO JOKE! You can get a cheap hydro-pack at just about any store, spray paint it green, yer good. Also, buy a high cap mag, worry about fleshing out your kit later. Got a deathrag? Any red rag approximately 15 inches by 15 inches will work.
NOW GO HAVE FUN!

And if you see me out there , yell "Hey! You silly clown! Let's go get those guys!" I will honk my nose, and it will be on!
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby ogrejager » Wed May 07, 2014 11:33 pm

Listen to Jester and Shortbus. They've given you good advice. Trust me on that.

I would reiterate that your reception on your first post is as positive as it was because it was well written. Thank you for showing us old bastards that there's hope for your generation. If you can't find Shortbus, ask for ogre. You'll find us.

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Postby CommieHunter » Thu May 08, 2014 9:43 am

Everybody started with one AEG and a hicap. If they didn't, then they started with a springer.

For sure: Come and play at the next game. I wouldn't count yourself out for any reason. However, if you are considering what might make the day better, a sling and one extra hicap can be really helpful. It means you don't have to reload the mag if you happen to empty your first right in a firefight.

It's a good idea to bring a small backpack with a nalgene or two and some food to a game.

I work over at Airsoft Outlet NW, and if you ever had questions about gear, what the most affordable way to get you and your kit on the field, let me know. Even if we don't sell it, I'm more than happy to help guys figure out a way they can have a lot of fun for no budget, or a low budget, or whatever fits.
CommieHunter

Team: SOTA

Postby Shortbu » Thu May 08, 2014 10:01 am

CommieHunter wrote:Everybody started with one AEG and a hicap. If they didn't, then they started with a springer.

For sure: Come and play at the next game. I wouldn't count yourself out for any reason. However, if you are considering what might make the day better, a sling and one extra hicap can be really helpful. It means you don't have to reload the mag if you happen to empty your first right in a firefight.

It's a good idea to bring a small backpack with a nalgene or two and some food to a game.

I work over at Airsoft Outlet NW, and if you ever had questions about gear, what the most affordable way to get you and your kit on the field, let me know. Even if we don't sell it, I'm more than happy to help guys figure out a way they can have a lot of fun for no budget, or a low budget, or whatever fits.

This! Good advice.
The staff at AONW are some of the most knowledgeable in the community. They are an excellent source for advice. But again, think about your questions, and try to do as much research on your own before contacting them. My suggestion if you have multiple questions, is to write them down on a note pad, and leave spaces to write down their suggestions in those spaces. That avoids the multiple phone calls(being a pest),and sometimes when you write down your questions you can actually answer it yourself. Being that they do have such a knowledgeable staff, they do get pretty busy, but never to busy to help out a new guy that has done some research, and has his questions organized, so they can help you out in a timely fashion.
Shortbu
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Rentax » Mon May 12, 2014 9:53 pm

Everyone else on specdet is putting in their 2 cents I figured I might as well.
I agree with everything everyone else here has said. Don't worry about what gear you have or don't have, if you are eager to play, willing to listen to those around you, and take their advisement into consideration, then you will find that people will want you around on the field.
I will say search around for groups of players, let them know you are just starting out and ask if you can run with them for the day. If they are accepting of it, then you have probably found a good group to play with for the day, if they aren't, find some people who are. Most of the teams out here are more than willing to help out someone who is interested in helping themselves out

Finally, (and yes it's a shameless plug) Summer Slaughter 5 is coming up July 11-13. It is an airsoft swap meet as well as an even for getting new players out on the field and playing airsoft. Come out to meet some of the local Teams and it's a great place to find used gear and great deals.
http://airsoftpacific.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=42374
We do what we want
Rentax

Postby Hawkeye [F.O.A.D.] » Wed May 14, 2014 4:15 am

Well since specdet has taken over the thread ( :roll: lol) I figured it was time for FOAD to say hi.

Seriously, Welcome. Glad to see some new young blood joining up. Everything said so far is great advise. Start slow with the gear, play a few games then decide what you want to carry around. There are a ton of us that love to help new players out. The only thing extra I would add is HAVE FUN, it is not worth it other wise.

See you on the field

HawkEye
Hawkeye [F.O.A.D.]
Soldier
Soldier

Team: F.O.A.D

Return to Introductions and Orientation