Getting into airsoft

New to Airsoft Pacific? Start here, read the RULES thread and please feel free to introduce yourself.

Getting into airsoft

Postby Pickmeordie » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:41 pm

Hello,
My name is Dave, I am looking to get back into airsoft. I played around a bit in highschool. You know..backyard wars. I live in Salem and looking get connected with guys my age [25]... I need a hobby and I always wanted to get serious into airsoft. Anyway, I went online to look at some gear and man am I lost. Can you guys please give me some tips on what to look for and where to look for it? What is a realistic price for a gun, and accesories/gear.
Thanks,
Dave.
Pickmeordie
Recruit
Recruit

Team: N/A

Re: Getting into airsoft

Postby Shortbu » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:17 am

Welcome back.
A “realistic” price has many variables, especially with gear. Do you want real, quality gear, that’s going to last? Or, replica gear, that’s less quality, and less price. Airsoft is expensive as you want to make it, or can afford. What kind of role do you prefer to play? Sniper, support, recon, marksman,run and gun? Do you want to keep it to more of a minimalist, or all geared out?
As far as teams go, the best way to meet teams is to head out to some events. Watch the teams and how they interact, not only with each other, but with other players. My best suggestion to not to just run out and join a team, just to join a team. Joining, then finding said team isn’t a good fit and leaving, can cause drama. It’s best to take your time. Look at their gear, and ask them questions. Most Airsoft guys will be happy to help point you in the right direction. My team (Specdet1) has guys that have been playing a long time, KNOW gear, and are usually happy to help. Though we tend to lean more towards real gear which can get pretty spendy, we can usually point you in the right direction. Some good quality gear can be had for a decent price if you know WHAT you want, and are patient.
There are a couple of events that draw lots of teams, and have swap meets (great place for gear at good prices). One is the airsoft expo at Oregon Airsoft Arena on Feb 10th. The other is Summer Slaughter in July put on by Specdet1. Summer Slaughter has outdoor games Friday night through Sunday afternoon, and draws around 300 people, including vendors and many people selling their wares.
Hope this helps.Shortbus OUT!
Joke em' if they can't take a shazaam!
Shortbu
Soldier
Soldier

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Norseman » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:25 am

Pickmeordie wrote:Hello,
My name is Dave, I am looking to get back into airsoft. I played around a bit in highschool. You know..backyard wars. I live in Salem and looking get connected with guys my age [25]... I need a hobby and I always wanted to get serious into airsoft. Anyway, I went online to look at some gear and man am I lost. Can you guys please give me some tips on what to look for and where to look for it? What is a realistic price for a gun, and accesories/gear.
Thanks,
Dave.

I think the best question to ask is what is your budget?

You can get a decent AEG pkg for 200-300 bucks.
Mid cap Mags run 10 bucks a piece.
Gear can be had of the cheap if you buy surplus gear. Woodland camo, Alice web gear, pouches, etc.
Norseman
Sponsor
Sponsor

Team: SDD

Postby Pickmeordie » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:20 am

Shortbu wrote:Welcome back.
A “realistic” price has many variables, especially with gear. Do you want real, quality gear, that’s going to last? Or, replica gear, that’s less quality, and less price. Airsoft is expensive as you want to make it, or can afford. What kind of role do you prefer to play? Sniper, support, recon, marksman,run and gun? Do you want to keep it to more of a minimalist, or all geared out?

Well I think what I want to start with is a sort of minimal set-up and put 150-250 down on a gun that will last. So gun, maybe some sort of belt for some mags and a mask or whatever safety protection is required for large events.
Pickmeordie
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Norseman » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:12 pm

Gun (local)

https://thunderkissnw.com

Surplus (local)

http://www.andyandbax.com/military-surplus/

I shop in Spokane, so I cannot vouch for the surplus store, but Have heard good stuff about Thunderkiss.
Norseman
Sponsor
Sponsor

Team: SDD

Postby drpepper475 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:08 pm

are you just dipping your feet in or jumping straight in?
"you guys might be winning ,but I'm having more fun"
drpepper475

Postby Pickmeordie » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:52 pm

drpepper475 wrote:are you just dipping your feet in or jumping straight in?
haha.. I would say a little of both. Basically I want to keep it under $300 for everything to start out, but I don't want to buy a crap gun then have to turn around a buy another one in a year.
Pickmeordie
Recruit
Recruit

Postby drpepper475 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:06 pm

VFC make excellent metal bodied guns for around 300$. I still have the one I bought in 2012. If your wanting a whole setup then i suggest the lancer tactical gen 2 m4 or the newer G&G combat machines or the tippmann aeg. Stick with a condor chest rig untill you decide if you want more serious gear. hope that helps
drpepper475

Postby Pickmeordie » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:15 pm

drpepper475 wrote:VFC make excellent metal bodied guns for around 300$. I still have the one I bought in 2012. If your wanting a whole setup then i suggest the lancer tactical gen 2 m4 or the newer G&G combat machines or the tippmann aeg. Stick with a condor chest rig untill you decide if you want more serious gear. hope that helps

Oh man I just looked up the Tippman M4 Commando.... I really like that!
Pickmeordie
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Pickmeordie » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:33 pm

My team (Specdet1) has guys that have been playing a long time, KNOW gear, and are usually happy to help. Though we tend to lean more towards real gear which can get pretty spendy, we can usually point you in the right direction. Some good quality gear can be had for a decent price if you know WHAT you want, and are patient.

Are you guys going to be at the swamp this weekend?
Pickmeordie
Recruit
Recruit

Postby drpepper475 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:44 pm

Pickmeordie wrote:
drpepper475 wrote:VFC make excellent metal bodied guns for around 300$. I still have the one I bought in 2012. If your wanting a whole setup then i suggest the lancer tactical gen 2 m4 or the newer G&G combat machines or the tippmann aeg. Stick with a condor chest rig untill you decide if you want more serious gear. hope that helps

Oh man I just looked up the Tippman M4 Commando.... I really like that!

I held it and it felt like a really good starter platform.

also myself and some of others from phantom fury will be at the swamp on sunday!
drpepper475

Postby T. Bologna » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:10 am

I did this same thing a few months back and just dove in. I don't think this was the best idea but also wasn't to bad an idea. I wanted a decent quality gun at a decent price. I went with a cyber gun colt licensed m4 cost about $200 at airsoftmegastore.com after some use I don't think its bad for the price. but it shoots higher fps than most indoor fields allow so I have to use rentals to play indoors still. overall though it works as should its full metal so its a bit heavy but works great. I also picked up a G&G extreme 45 pistol it shoots way way hot!!! they are around $115 or so I believe. I would check around for weapons that shoot in the 350fps range if you want to play indoor. all in all with a primary, secondary, 3 mid cap mags, extra pistol mag, and a cheap tactical vest to hold all the gear I was in around $400 online at airsoftmegastore.com shipping time was great they threw in a few 4k packs of free goldenball BBS. they have a lot of promotions and coupons on their website as well.
T. Bologna
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Dennis - Crossbow » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:59 pm

-
Welcome to AP !! :ownage:
With the weather getting nicer I suggest you check out some outdoor game as well. At outdoor events there is ample time to introduce yourself to other airsofters and ask about AEG's and other gear.
Thank you,
Dennis "Crossbow"

Remember to like us on Facebook and follow us on YouTube, Twitter and Instragram
Dennis - Crossbow
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Shortbu » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:01 pm

Pickmeordie wrote:
My team (Specdet1) has guys that have been playing a long time, KNOW gear, and are usually happy to help. Though we tend to lean more towards real gear which can get pretty spendy, we can usually point you in the right direction. Some good quality gear can be had for a decent price if you know WHAT you want, and are patient.

Are you guys going to be at the swamp this weekend?

I may make it, and there was another teamate that was going to try to make it. I haven’t discussed it with the wife yet, but I’m going to try. My call sign is actually “Shortbus”, not “Shortbu” (long story) and I’m not hard to find. Just ask Shrek (the field owner) and if I’m there, he’ll point me out.
Joke em' if they can't take a shazaam!
Shortbu
Soldier
Soldier

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Sir Stubby Eyre » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:59 pm

Welcome to AP and the community. Lots of games to go to, get out and meet people. Hillsboro Arena is have a swap meet next month, you can find all sort of deals there.

Hope to see you on the field.
Sir Stubby Eyre
Sponsor
Sponsor

Next

Return to Introductions and Orientation