Most Important Aspect of an OP

Discuss anything and everything here that's Airsoft related.

What do you think is the most important aspect of a successful OP?

Organization, units, squads, platoons.
77%
Military Vehicles
3%
Amazing Props
No votes
Military Celebrities
No votes
The Camping
2%
Location, Location, Location!
18%

Total votes : 98

Most Important Aspect of an OP

Postby Matt » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:36 am

Vote it up.
Matt

Team: APST

Postby Pope_Alex_Kaeda_I » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:39 am

A good scenario that keeps things going. If its just 400 people in a giant shoot-em-up, I'll stay home. If theres 400 people on the field, but every platoon is busy with an objective . . . . sign me up. If the platoons are getting mixed, and its degenerating into a giant shoot-em-up, then the Administrator has screwed the pooch, and needs to separate his/her head from his/her third point of contact.

I dont need Celebrities, I'm rarely able to spend the night camping.

Props are Important, but they're not the most important aspect of the OP.
Member of the AirsoftReview Mafia
Umlaut Rabbit - 28 June 2008, Unchkin Rabbit 29 May 2009
Pope_Alex_Kaeda_I

Team: N/A
Location: Google makes me clever. Photoshop makes me beautiful.

Postby Braddock » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:41 am

I agree with Alex. organization and objectives, Structure
Although for me camping is a big thing too. Its nice to get away from the family for the weekend and BS with the boys.
Braddock

Postby TOP » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:45 am

Really everything but the celebrities... If you have organization, props, and location... those are the keys to a great Op. If you can't get all three, then 2 out of the 3 should be met, but organization must ALWAYS be there IMO. The camping and the vehicles are tactical niceities :)

If you're going to go to war against a major enemy, go; knock the hell out of him fast, and go in there to kill him and get it over with.

Postby Knuckles » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:47 am

While the camping truly IS the best part of the OP, I have to say that the organization of the admins and command makes or breaks it.

Less backstory and bullshit, more force-on-force killing. Too many tasks detract from the overall aspect of the game.

Also:

If you have insufficient Admins, then you have problems.

The event organizers have to make sure that all their ducks are in a row. Chrono station manned and supplied correctly, safety marshalls policing participants as they enter the field.

As well, organizers have to show us the money! If we are paying X dollars and driving X hours to come out and shoot it up, we want to see a GOOD location. We want to see GOOD raffle prizes. We want to see GOOD safety and most of all, all of us want to see GOOD SPORTSMANSHIP.

But the camping definitely rocks.
Please buy your gear from Rick Fisher; perhaps he can buy a Life.
Knuckles

Postby Nocte » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:49 am

Knuckles wrote:While the camping truly IS the best part of the OP, I have to say that the organization of the admins and command makes or breaks it.

Beat me to it. Location is also pretty vital, but you can have a terrible OP at a great location.
ImageImage
Nocte

Postby Pope_Alex_Kaeda_I » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:56 am

Knuckles wrote:Less backstory and bullshit, more force-on-force killing.
See, I need more back story. If I am going to immerse myself into the event, become a character in the tale that is being told, I need more story.

Example: I had just enough story to be able to become Father Alex: Catholic Zombie Hunter. If there had been more story, I could have been so much more. Imagine Father Alex: Catholic Zombie Hunter from the Order Adamant. Seeker of the Holy Grail, and destroyer of the Dark Underthing from beyond the Dreamlands of Unknown Kadath . . . .

As well, organizers have to show us the money! If we are paying X dollars and driving X hours to come out and shoot it up, we want to see a GOOD location. We want to see GOOD raffle prizes. We want to see GOOD safety and most of all, all of us want to see GOOD SPORTSMANSHIP.
Entirely too often, events, especially lately, have left me wondering where the money went. I will not go back to Splat Action. Ever. After doing some quick figures, I came out very un-impressed. And who's sponsoring events matters to me too.

There are certain retailers around here who I will not purchase from. I would rather that they were excluded from sponsorship lists until they can pull their heads out of their third point of contact.
Member of the AirsoftReview Mafia
Umlaut Rabbit - 28 June 2008, Unchkin Rabbit 29 May 2009
Pope_Alex_Kaeda_I

Location: Google makes me clever. Photoshop makes me beautiful.

Postby Variable » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:10 am

As much as I appreciate the occasional big a$$ shoot out, what I really go for is the organization and exciting missions (more than just static attack/defend).

For example, at GS3 I had a great time even though I didn't fire a shot until 2 hours into the Op. We were maneuvering, working on objectives, rather than just attacking Khe San and hamburger hill continually.

To pull off a good OP, you need good admins, good location, maybe a few trucks, and most of all you need players that want that kind of experience.

That said, I did have an excellent time at OP:Mad Dog.
Variable

Postby Nox » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:13 am

Well as a Devil's advocate lemme ask this question:
What if it's an OP that isn't sponsored are huge in size? Not all OP's are going to be supported by retailers and raffles, or even charge for entry - or is that the point of this thread, the pay for play OP's?

I think its a mix of several aspects, but Location is a big play for me. If the best OP is organized in a parking lot style tract of land, its going to fail, no matter how many props or vehicles abound.
A good field makes a good OP, after that its a decent story line and organization. Props are third and everything else falls into the latter side of the equation.
Nox

Postby Knuckles » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:14 am

YES!

Well organized missions, a'la Enduring Horizon (Best OP ever) and CQC4 and 5.

Missions where you are told to wade through ten thousand screaming n00bs to try to poison the watering hole? I'll pass.
Knuckles

Postby Variable » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:20 am

To use a video game analogy:
Sometimes I want to play Battlefield 2. Rush towards a control point and try to take it. Get killed, respawn. Rinse... and ... repeat.
Sometimes the meatgrinder is what I want to play.

Mostly though I want to play Call of Duty. I want immersion and mission play. I want interaction with the other people and groups in semi-scripted way. This could be done by other players, not necessarily actors, as long as the other players wanted to get immersed as much as me.
Variable

Postby Matt » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:29 am

The goal behind the thread was to stir up discussion about improving the outdoor game in Oregon. Mission accomplished.
Matt

Postby Knuckles » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:36 am

Addendum: I want to go to an OP where one team does not have a separate ruleset from other teams.

If an actor is programmed to do "A" in the event of "B", then "A" should go down EVERYTIME...not when it's deemed "acceptable" in a case by case basis.
Knuckles

Postby Nox » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:47 am

Knuckles wrote:Addendum: I want to go to an OP where one team does not have a separate ruleset from other teams.

If an actor is programmed to do "A" in the event of "B", then "A" should go down EVERYTIME...not when it's deemed "acceptable" in a case by case basis.

Agreed! Stability is an important point.
"Close enough" or "time getting low" should not be deemed as viable reasons for "A" occuring.
Nox

Postby Osmo » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:19 pm

So what do I care about when it comes to OPs? Here's a short list.

- I care that participants outfit themselves appropriately. Not only with how they dress, but what kind of equipment they carry.
- I care that participants be 18 years and older (for mostly milsim reasons).
- I care that participants behave appropriately based on their role. I care that Mugambi fighters use guerrilla tactics and ISAF troops do not.
- I care about actors, props, and vehicles. That enough time and effort has been put into an immersive experience.
- I care about having limited, controlled respawns.
- I care about restricting hicap and box magazines.
Osmo
Ranger
Ranger

Next

Return to Community General Discussion