Game Cancellations

Discuss anything and everything here that's Airsoft related.

Do recent game cancellations make you less likely to pre-pay and register for upcoming events?

Yes
61%
No
30%
I'm not sure
9%

Total votes : 89

Game Cancellations

Postby Matt » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:52 pm

Lately, it seems like more and more games are getting canceled when it comes down to the wire. I'm not sure why this is. Maybe it's because game promoters want to make sure you have the best time possible, and they'd rather wait until they have everything 100% ready. The question then is, should they announce it and set a date if there's a possibility that it may not happen?

Then again, maybe it's lack of participation. But if that's the case, is that due to the fact that people just aren't interested, or do we only have ourselves to blame for past cancellations making otherwise excited players nervous about committing to upcoming games?

Discuss.
Matt

Team: APST

Postby Variable » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:54 pm

No.
Shit happens, I recognize this.
I also recognize that some events need the starter capitol to even secure the venue.
Variable

Postby Nocte » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:02 pm

Jensen wrote:No.
I also recognize that some events need the starter capitol to even secure the venue.

This.
ImageImage
Nocte

Postby DMitri » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:06 pm

Do people get their money back for canceled games?
DMitri
Banned
Banned

Team: N/A

Postby Nocte » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:09 pm

I have. Every time.
ImageImage
Nocte

Postby Pulsipher » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:13 pm

I think game cancellations are Ghey and makes me want to avoid big game threads.
Pulsipher

Team: RR KBAB

Postby McNair » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:25 pm

I never preregister for anything, so it doesn't bother me, much. I prefer only to deal in cash.

As someone who has tried to orignize games and such themself, I understand the difficulties and problems that come up... I only am pissed when I pay and the game sucks. heh.
McNair

Postby Seagreen » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:32 pm

This is one of the big reasons we went to a pay at the door policy for almost everything we do now.

Cancellations happen. We've had one major event not happen...and man, that was horrible. Schools are destined to have drop off dates and minimum numbers in order for it to be a success. I understand when those items are turned off. Events getting cancelled ALWAYS sucks.

I'll prepay if it is required, and will happily pay at the door too. I'm down for whatever.
"5 color Woodland....it's the new thing."
Seagreen

Team: AIRSOC

Postby terror management » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:35 pm

For us with Allah's Express it simply comes down to not having done our part to get the props needed in time. My fault, we have vendors we use on a regular basis and I assumed we could count on them to get what we needed as we always have in the past. It is in no way our vendors fault as they get their supply from a distributer who gets his from overseas. One link in the chain kinks and we fall on our faces. This is why I will never schedule a game again unless I have all of the parts in my hand. In the future we will also be photographing our props to prove we are ready for whatever game we are promoting. We had no trouble with the venue this time just the supply line.

We tried to rush putting together this game in an effort not to schedule it on top of the other games scheduled and because PTOC is moving sometime in the undetermined near future. I just need to listen to those nagging doubts when they arise and not let the excitement of a possible game get in the way of our sound business protocols.When we found out at 7am the day of the Sudden Strike that half of Rilea had been flattened and we couldn't use it we adapted. We could have adapted the Express game but it would have seriously taken away the cool points of the game. We did secure 3 garages full of props(furniture, audio equipment, smoke machines, lights, video equipment, building materials, 100 rds of blanks for our AK and several trip wires). But the coolest stuff wasn't available to us in our time frame. I will not put on a substandard game especially when it is our first foray into the team competition realm.

We started this business because airsoft games can be way cooler than they are now, and this is a direction I'd like to see airsoft evolve as a player. Unless you are putting on huge games, that have to be overadmin'd so they don't become turkey shoots, there isn't any real profit to be had. We have barely broke even in the last 6 games we have held, but then again insurance isn't cheap. Neither is doing it legally. This may be an expense others are willing to forgo but I know when the time comes we will be glad we have been paying for actual airsoft game insurance and not just the slip and fall type insurance, or none at all. It will eventually make a differance to the player who gets injured as well. Alot of you don't know that we carry $25,000 per player per instance bodily damage insurance. We do not have to but if a player gets hurt at one of our games we want to take care of his medical bills, anyone else do that for you? If we were just in it for the dough we wouldn't carry this extra expense, but we actually care. Wow, I really went off topic there for a second.

We are a new and growing company. I like to think we have established ourselves as the guys who can get the venues and put on a solid game.

My apologies for cancelling this game, it was my fault.

P.s. we don't ever require pre-pay anymore, it is the job of the promoters/hosts to secure the facility out of our pockets and then recoup the costs at game time.
Airsofter by nature
Team Terror by the grace of God.
!!!!!Rev. Fred Phelps takes it in the a$$!!!!! Thats freedom of speech too
"If winning doesn't matter how come they call them competitions and keep scores?"
terror management
Specops
Specops

Postby Matt » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:09 pm

Thanks Steve. I'm in no way trying to single you guys out, there have been a rash of cancellations lately, and yours was just one on top of a very large pile. I'm just throwing out a question for discussion, to see if anybody thinks cancellations leads to less interest in games. Seems like we used to sell out without even trying, nowadays it's hard to get everybody in one place at the same time.
Matt

Postby terror management » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:22 pm

It's cool, Matt. I didn't feel singled out. I just feel shitty for not coming through...

Like we talked about at ABT, its the Summer of Games. So many games and not enough money to go around.

Where is our part of this 700 billion bailout? shazaam the government, crookedest m-f's on the plane. We can have 700 billion for the good old boys not to lose their banks but no money for up-armored troop vehicles or even education? We can come up with 217 new state troopers for oregon but can't keep a school open? WTF! ...sorry off topic again, but I'm disgusted. Must be shitty mood leftovers from having to cancel a game. Or it could be that it is time for a revolution, don't know what that'd solve but I'd feel better pickin a few of those politicians off.

* to the DOD and Homeland Security, I know with my name and this whole war on terror shit you may think I'm going to do something stupid, but I don't have the desire to be dead or in prison so look elsewhere... :lol:
Airsofter by nature
Team Terror by the grace of God.
!!!!!Rev. Fred Phelps takes it in the a$$!!!!! Thats freedom of speech too
"If winning doesn't matter how come they call them competitions and keep scores?"
terror management
Specops
Specops

Postby chapped » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:07 pm

There is no justice.
There's just us.
chapped
Specops
Specops

Team: SpecDet1

Postby john boy » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:56 pm

chapped wrote:

What they said..
john boy
Specops
Specops

Team: RAC 5

Postby Beran » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:11 pm

doesn't matter to me, so long as i get my money back. i understand that shit happens.
Let your plans be as dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
Beran

Postby Braddock » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:12 pm

just point me in the direction of the shooting...
Braddock

Next

Return to Community General Discussion