Off Topic : Good or Bad?

Discuss anything and everything here that's Airsoft related.

Should Airsoft Pacific shut down off topic?

Yes
16%
No
74%
I don't care
10%

Total votes : 152

Off Topic : Good or Bad?

Postby Matt » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:54 pm

Rock the vote.

For - Some people like the fact that this one one of the few top Airsoft boards where you can still talk about politics, religion, video games, and your mom. They believe that if you don't like off topic, don't read it. Airsoft Discussion can happen outside of Off Topic as normal. They believe that if OT were shut down, we would have less visits and less activity on the site as a whole... Which would negatively effect this community.

Against - Some people think Off Topic detracts from the forums and only Airsoft topics should be discussed here. They think we should "re-locate" off topic to another forum somewhere externally and shut it down here on AP. They believe some people who do not post on AP would visit more frequently if OT did not exist (and/or the boards were more moderated in a general sense).

Your thoughts?
Matt

Team: APST

Postby LiquidSnak » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:56 pm

If you don't have an off topic in forums, trust me, the on-topic will constantly be polluted. I would frequent this forum less if there wasn't an off topic. Purists don't have to read the off topic, they have a choice in what sections they read, but don't detract from the quality and entertainment that helps make this community whole :)
Biggest Postwhore, 2008
Osprey wrote:
McNair wrote:Are you guys really that f***ing daft?
I'm sorry I didn't know I had to hear to read a post

I leave for FIVE MINUTES, and there's flies having SEX ON MY KEYS D:
LiquidSnak

Team: N/A

Postby Variable » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:57 pm

It detracts from AP. It lets drama spill over into other portions of the site.
Spin it off into another site.

The actual On Topic portion of the site will be much easier to moderate effectively without Off Topic.
Variable

Postby Deleteplz » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:57 pm

AP just wouldn't be the same without Off-Topic.
Airsoft Pacific's 2006 Most Improved Player
Deleteplz

Postby Zerstoer » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:05 pm

Yea, if all the topics were on topic WHERE WOULD I POST?!
Zerstoer
Specops
Specops

Postby Pulsipher » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:06 pm

Get rid of it
Pulsipher

Team: RR KBAB

Postby Riddick » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:09 pm

get rid of it and while we are at it move for more stricter guidelines against personal attacks/drama.
Too much stuff is allowed to happen as it is.

Airsoft Retreat can survive without OT/drama, why can't we?

Problem also is that there tends to be more OT topics than airsoft topics or it seems anyways. I thought this was a airsoft website? Shouldn't it be about airsoft content and not how many hits we get?
Last edited by Riddick on Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Like us on Facebook: TBA
Check out our events: I'm coming back 2024
Riddick

Postby Jester316 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:10 pm

I like OT, but agree that it can be distracting. I also agree that if it goes away, we will see a dramatic increase of OT threads in the main sections. A suggestion, and I don't even know how viable this is, could you split OT into 2 OT's separated by age? One is 18+ the other is under 17. I think that would cut out a lot of the bullshit that goes on in OT by younger people being stupid, and the older people reacting stupidly. I don't know, just a thought.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Nec » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:11 pm

i think they are a good idea. but the posts made there should not be random useless posts like "hey mcnair" and "EAT PEARS!", "choose beer"
There's a difference between a person who has a screwdriver and a person who knows what they are doing.
Nec
Specops
Specops

Postby Nocte » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:13 pm

AP wouldn't be as strong a community if we didn't have an area to BS with one another. There's only so much to talk about in terms of airsoft new releases, and the fact that OTF is one of the busiest forums on the site says a few things about the community.

1. We are friends, and have more to discuss with one another than what velocity our bbs are flying at and which guns are coming out next year. We have opinions about the outside world and wish to share them (and yes, even argue about them) in a forum designed specifically for that purpose. As a webmaster, why would you even consider moving that traffic elsewhere?

2. By moving OTF to an external, you're moving the fast-paced posting we have going as well. AP's airsoft topics and content will suffer because there will be less people on the site at any given time. Most folks live on the 'Recent Posts Since Last Visit' link, and if folks are hanging out on AP because of OTF, they are available to answer questions or post on topics that are related to airsoft.

3. You can't stop the rush. People will find places to interject their off-topic hilarity everywhere else on the forums, and try to make it fit where they think applicable. When moderators/admin delete the off-topic content, we'll be seen as forum Nazis/censor police/whatever the new term is these days - even more so than we already are.

OTF is vital to AP maintaining its identity. Getting rid of it is the worst idea, ever.
Last edited by Nocte on Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
Nocte

Postby Beran » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:26 pm

i agree with nic. AP needs a communal place where shit can be flung and BS can run rampant. it provides an outlet for the community from the rest of the forums. AP would not be what it is today without OTF. if you don't like it, don't read it. maybe eventually add an option for users to not include OTF in the "latest posts" update if they choose?

ive referred to OTF as a "wreched hive of scum and villany" on many occasions, but i believe it is a necessary evil.
Let your plans be as dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
Beran

Postby McNair » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:27 pm

My opinion is obvious and as Nic posted above... I only check "recent posts". If there wasn't the OTF I likely wouldn't even check the rest as it's usually, "WHATS THE BEST GUN, WHAT DO YOU THINK" etc...

And Nëc™, if it doesn't interest you. Don't fuckin' read it. as stated above. That's the point of OTF. Most of the time if the title doesn't interest me(and likely the poster), I don't read it. A lot of people have been around here for many years and we're at our jobs being bored and posting on here to amuse each other. We don't give a shazaam about you.

And if it wasnt' for OT, Nic would never talk to me on AIM.
Last edited by McNair on Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
McNair

Postby TOP » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:31 pm

A lot of people have been around here for many years and we're at our trailer getting drunk and posting on here to amuse each other

Fixed

If you're going to go to war against a major enemy, go; knock the hell out of him fast, and go in there to kill him and get it over with.

Postby Zerstoer » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:36 pm

Pulsipher wrote:Get rid of it

You just don't like me cause i wouldn't pay for dinner. ;)
Zerstoer
Specops
Specops

Postby McNair » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:37 pm

TOP wrote:
A lot of people have been around here for many years and we're at our trailer getting drunk and posting on here to amuse each other

Fixed

I wish.
McNair

Next

Return to Community General Discussion