Proposed vehicle rules for AP

Discuss anything and everything here that's Airsoft related.

Postby Helo » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:44 pm

Before I run off to class, a couple thoughts:
1. An RPG/rocket against a technical should not take two hits to kill (something that bothered me about G18.2. Sorry Matt)
2. Would a 203 work against an LAV or BTR? Perhaps they need 1 rocket instead.
3. Is it fair to take out a main battle tank (assuming we had a mock up of one) with a single RPG/ rocket? Or would two be more realistic?
Personally I'd like to see three classes of vehicles- unarmored (1-2 40 mils to kill), light armor (1 rocket), and heavy armor (2 rockets). This is just off the top of my head, I can try to explain it better when I get back.
That Australian Guy
Helo
Ranger
Ranger

Team: N/A

Postby Matt » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:03 pm

I think you're getting a bit too over complicated there. This has to be easy to remember and easy to enforce. How do the vehicle operators know what type of projectile hit them or what type of launcher it was fired from? If they didn't see the guy, they don't know. And was that 1 hit, or two? Then the arguments happen, the calls of BULLSHIT ring across the field. Suddenly we're having a conversation about whether or not a tank was hit instead of playing the game.
Matt

Team: APST

Postby Mini-Marine » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:13 pm

The only way to make things work with what type of weapon hit/how many hits is if you have an admin assigned to monitor every vehicle, which would just be a giant hassle.

For simplicities sake, a foam rocket launched from an M203 should work just as well as one launched from a AT4 or RPG just for the sake of gameplay working properly.
When brute force doesn't solve your problems, you aren't using enough
Mini-Marine

Postby SilentStalker » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:16 pm

Matt,
Would it be possible for the vehicle operator (TC) and the admins to be in radio communication with each other? If so this would give us a way to stop all vehicles for safety reasons and also just like a mortar attack someone on scene that can tell the TC that he has been disabled or if everyone onboard is dead. I agree we are over thinking this, but I also think like I said before that the admins should be the ones to disable vehicles. I do not care if the players shoot the vehicle with BB’s, Nerf roundsor a Paint Marker but I think if the admin is called over to deliver the news to the TC then it helps eliminate the need for confrontation between the opposing forces about rules. I do understand that this makes vehicles a logistical nightmare but if we are going to have vehicle on the field (I think having them is really cool) having a way to disable them and a way for the operator know they have been hit would be nice with the least amount of confrontation as possible.
Just my two cents
Hope this helps.

I think it better to do right, even if we suffer in doing, than to incur the reproach of our consciences and posterity

- Robert E. Lee
SilentStalker
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Voodoo Man » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:22 pm

Its a little tough to have an admin present all the time though. Besides, they have a tough time catching people not calling their hits and other admin duties as is, no real need in my mind to have them do another job. Its a sport based on honor, if someone says they hit you, you call it good and go back to spawn. Vehicle operators should just stop when they've been hit, or have someone running up telling them they took a hit.
Voodoo Man
Specops
Specops

Team: DRAT

Postby SilentStalker » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:25 pm

Agreed but at Steel Talon I had an Admin with my team the entire game and it made for a nice way to call in strikes and alos made it for Ithink a better game.

I think it better to do right, even if we suffer in doing, than to incur the reproach of our consciences and posterity

- Robert E. Lee
SilentStalker
Ranger
Ranger

Postby DJ » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:26 pm

The biggest issue that I have faced is the noise(APC/ATV) some times I hear the radio, sometimes not. Most people have not been shy about telling me that I was hit by their nerf. Again the problem is noise. If I was on the throttle I cannot hear the nerf impact. all in all the nerf seemed to work pretty well. I got whacked alot and I actually got several technicals out of the APC with my 203.
Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent,
and discerning if he holds his tongue.
DJ
Specops
Specops

Postby Matt » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:39 pm

That's why the IR idea with the popped smoke is the coolest. Not only does the driver get an instant indication that he has been hit, he can also pop that smoke to ensure that the person who fired knows the hit was a success.
Matt

Team: APST

Postby Mini-Marine » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:49 pm

The IR idea would take the most time and money to setup. The only other reasonable solution would be to have an admin assigned to each vehicle on the field, and that would mean games with vehicles would need quite a few additional admins to be run properly.
When brute force doesn't solve your problems, you aren't using enough
Mini-Marine

Postby Brock Vond » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:07 pm

Most Fields can't really accomodate vehicle play, so that might not be to big of a burden...
"Memento Mori"
Brock Vond
Soldier
Soldier

Postby wake.joe » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:46 pm

I bet I could rig a laser tag set into the ignition of a car.

Sensor hit = Car stalls.
wake.joe
Ranger
Ranger

Postby G36 FTW » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:03 pm

wake.joe wrote:I bet I could rig a laser tag set into the ignition of a car.

Sensor hit = Car stalls.

If my teacher can't control lasers in the 20ft by 20ft classroom, you can't control an airsoft field of people with lasers... Good idea, but you might need to make sure it has to be a STRONG laser, not a cheap one, otherwise people will cheat with little pocket ones... And forcibly stalling a car doesn’t sound like a good idea either, maybe a noisemaker inside the car instead?...
Sneaking around with a derringer since 2010
THE ARMORY
G36 FTW
Specops
Specops

Postby SilentStalker » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:12 pm

How about a rotating light?

- Robert E. Lee
SilentStalker
Ranger
Ranger

Postby wake.joe » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:37 pm

G36 FTW wrote:

Sensor hit = Car stalls.

If my teacher can't control lasers in the 20ft by 20ft classroom, you can't control an airsoft field of people with lasers... Good idea, but you might need to make sure it has to be a STRONG laser, not a cheap one, otherwise people will cheat with little pocket ones... And forcibly stalling a car doesn’t sound like a good idea either, maybe a noisemaker inside the car instead?...

Uh?

20 ft? Even a laser tag set from Target will out range that. Nevermind the "hobby" guys who build them 100 yards and further.

And "Forcibly stalling a car"? What do you think happens when you turn the key off?
wake.joe
Ranger
Ranger

Postby TOP » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:47 pm

wake.joe wrote:
G36 FTW wrote:

Sensor hit = Car stalls.

Uh?

20 ft? Even a laser tag set from Target will out range that. Nevermind the "hobby" guys who build them 100 yards and further.

And "Forcibly stalling a car"? What do you think happens when you turn the key off?

I think what he was getting at... same with the MILES.. you could take off the transmitter from the M16... and get real close to a tank and tap the transmitter hard and "Kill" the tank. If the small pocket lasers could set it off, then everyone will carry them on the field.

If you're going to go to war against a major enemy, go; knock the hell out of him fast, and go in there to kill him and get it over with.

PreviousNext

Return to Community General Discussion