Primary for training in a group VS Primary for competition?

Discuss anything and everything here that's Airsoft related.

Primary for training in a group VS Primary for competition?

Postby GacktC » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:13 am

This is kind of a stupid question,
If my team are all using the same platform( MP5s, G36C..etc) for training, and I am the only person have a different weapon system, is it better to own the type they are using (same magazines, battery..) for the training purpose?
As for the real competiton deal, am I suppose to stick with the weapon I've been trainning with? Or use the ones I normally use?
Basically, if all my teammates are using G36C, am I suppose to get a G36C also?

Thank you.
GacktC

Team: RR KBAB

Postby Raging Hormann » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:50 am

You use an M4, right? If they all get the magwell conversion kits, they could save money on magazines, and you would all have M4 mags.... Just and idea.
R.I.P. Spc. Taylor Marks; Until We Meet Again
I'm so inappropriate, even I need an adult some times.
Eudorus wrote:...and simply show up and shoot everyone since all of these assholes are running around on our island.

SPECIAL FORCES J.A.D GROUP SINCE 2012
Raging Hormann

Team: N/A

Postby Darius137 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:56 am

Depends on how serious you are, or where you're fighting.

M4 magazines are generally more common so if "the shit hit the fan" somewhere, you have a better chance of picking up magazines from an AK74, AK47 or STANAG-using platform.

In airsoft, people give each other magazines only slightly more than using secondaries like pistols. If you carry enough magazines to support yourself and know how to conserve ammo, you really don't need to worry about that aspect. Especially with airsoft weights on magazines.
Member of Rushing Russians KBДB (Cascadian VDV/Airborne) chapter.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/KEBAB.PARTY/
Darius137

Team: RR KBAB

Postby john boy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:38 pm

Make sure you have enough mags for what ever platform you go with. 10-12 is the usual mag load out.. I have yet to shot more than a mags worth in any CQB Competition. As for field competitions, if your team was smart they would stop after each engagement and resupply.
john boy
Specops
Specops

Team: RAC 5

Postby Juicemachine » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:49 pm

I think he's trying to ask if he should get a new gun to match hi team for mag-sharing. Also, if he should get one just to train, but go back to his normal platform for actual games.

To address the first question: It's your choice. Mag sharing is a great thing to have, but if you can support yourself with the ammunition you have on you (as several others have already said), you should be fine.

As for the second question, definitely not. If you are training with one weapon system and then transitioning to another for play, you're basically rendering your training moot. Basically, figure out what weapon system you want to use, than train and play with that.
2009's Most Improved Player
Author of the best post of 2010
Juicemachine

Team: {FAG}

Postby Variable » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:20 pm

Mag sharing is good.

As far as owning lots of guns... my opinion is that you should reduce your arsenal to one or two AEGs, and make them GOOD reliable AEGs.
Variable

Team: APST

Postby IE Films » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:06 pm

Variable wrote:As far as owning lots of guns... my opinion is that you should reduce your arsenal to one or two AEGs, and make them GOOD reliable AEGs.

seconded
IE Films
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Raging Hormann » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:26 pm

Indeed. I currently only have one, which I swap springs, barrel length, and battery voltage when I play CQC and outdoors.
R.I.P. Spc. Taylor Marks; Until We Meet Again
I'm so inappropriate, even I need an adult some times.
Eudorus wrote:...and simply show up and shoot everyone since all of these assholes are running around on our island.

SPECIAL FORCES J.A.D GROUP SINCE 2012
Raging Hormann

Postby john boy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:03 pm

Variable wrote:Mag sharing is good.

As far as owning lots of guns... my opinion is that you should reduce your arsenal to one or two AEGs, and make them GOOD reliable AEGs.
BOOO!!!! Has variable been body snatched???
You need lots of replicas... Become a gear whore..
Big_Red wrote:Indeed. I currently only have one, which I swap springs, barrel length, and battery voltage when I play CQC and outdoors.

I did this for about a month.. It is better to get two AEG's.. One for outdoor and one for indoor. Swapping out internals each time for an event you are just asking for problems.. Go name brand for Field use and then go Chinese clone for CQB.
As for platform ask your team and get their feedback about what you should use.
john boy
Specops
Specops

Team: RAC 5

Postby Patrick750 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:17 pm

thirded, i have a G&P m16 for field and a CA m4 cqb for, you guessed it, cqb. they have the same mags which can fall under the mag sharing thing.
A dirty Pantac is a happy Pantac
Patrick750
Specops
Specops

Postby Peaches » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:22 pm

Big_Red wrote:You use an M4, right? If they all get the magwell conversion kits, they could save money on magazines, and you would all have M4 mags.... Just and idea.

Well, it's a good idea, if your not doing Mil-Sim, how ever if you are doing Mil-Sim, than there is no point in using a Magwell conversion to use STANAG magazines in an AK. The AK, especially the 47, uses a totally different caliber and there for is incompatible with standard STANAG magazine.
While it's not as bad as using a STANAG on a P90 (Makes sign of cross to ward off evil spirits), it's still the same thing.
Last edited by Peaches on Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do."-B. Lee
Peaches
Specops
Specops

Postby Jester316 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:26 pm

Peaches, I think he meant using the magwell adaptor on a G36. I'm not even sure they make a magwell adaptor for an AK.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Peaches » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:37 pm

GacktC wrote:This is kind of a stupid question,
If my team are all using the same platform( MP5s, G36C..etc)
Basically, if all my teammates are using G36C, am I suppose to get a G36C also?

Thank you.

Jester316 wrote:Peaches, I think he meant using the magwell adaptor on a G36. I'm not even sure they make a magwell adaptor for an AK.

He didn't specifically say G36, he said any weapons platform. Though I could have sworn I have seen one around somewhere. I will have to look around.
I could be thinking of the stock adapter, which while not as bad, still doesn't represent Mil-Sim sorta like the MP5 with the M4 LE stock. The guns weren't designed with that sort of stock, and will shoot differently, and not be as accurate.

As for the second question, definitely not. If you are training with one weapon system and then transitioning to another for play, you're basically rendering your training moot. Basically, figure out what weapon system you want to use, than train and play with that.

Thats not bad, however cross-training with a different platform isn't always a bad thing. For example if your primary goes down (lets say for example, your primary is a M4/M16 variant) and you don't have a pistol, and a teammate has say a MP5, you know how to use it and how it shoots you could ask to use it, pick it up and be back in the action lickety split without having to figure it out.

"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do."-B. Lee
Peaches
Specops
Specops

Postby Juicemachine » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:17 pm

As for the second question, definitely not. If you are training with one weapon system and then transitioning to another for play, you're basically rendering your training moot. Basically, figure out what weapon system you want to use, then train and play with that.

Thats not bad, however cross-training with a different platform isn't always a bad thing. For example if your primary goes down (lets say for example, your primary is a M4/M16 variant) and you don't have a pistol, and a teammate has say a MP5, you know how to use it and how it shoots you could ask to use it, pick it up and be back in the action lickety split without having to figure it out.[/quote]

Cross training is all well and good, but it's better to spend the majority of time training for what's most likely going to happen. If you have extra time to train, or what have you, then cross training is excellent.

airsoft750 wrote:

thirded, i have a G&P m16 for field and a CA m4 cqb for, you guessed it, cqb. they have the same mags which can fall under the mag sharing thing.

Totally not what was meant by mag sharing.
2009's Most Improved Player
Author of the best post of 2010
Juicemachine

Team: {FAG}

Postby league 4 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:55 pm

Jester316 wrote: I'm not even sure they make a magwell adaptor for an AK.

http://www.tsiarmories.com/acc.html
league 4
Specops
Specops

Team: 9/G

Next

Return to Community General Discussion