Fighting with a only pistol

Discuss anything and everything here that's Airsoft related.

Fighting with a only pistol

Postby Forty5ive » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:54 am

Do people come to the events with pistols only? I do own an Classic Army AEG but it is pretty old and beat up. Im looking at a GBB pistol and would love to go to an event. But before I do I would like to hear your opinions; would I be a bullet catcher by bringing a pistol to an AEG fight?
Forty5ive
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Re: Fighting with a only pistol

Postby Reeko » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:16 am

ive done it before. But its not very fun.
YOU SIR!!!!...... DO NOT HAVE ANY PANCAKE MIX!
Reeko
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cosmos » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:30 am

My buddy Rentax does it but,
1. He uses an MK23 which is on par distance and accuracy wise with many AEGs
2. He's a sneaky dude who can get up close.

unless you want to invest a lot of time and money into a good pistol set up you'd be better off just buying a new cheap AEG.

"We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it's forever."
-Carl Sagan
Cosmos
Soldier
Soldier

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Reeko » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:09 pm

Cosmos wrote:My buddy Rentax does it but,

unless you want to invest a lot of time and money into a good pistol set up you'd be better off just buying a new cheap AEG.

my pistol is good, but your semi automatic fire at slightly closer ranges is a huge disadvantage, not only that but you cant carry as much ammo in each mag. You have to be one sneaky mo cracka if you want to do good.
YOU SIR!!!!...... DO NOT HAVE ANY PANCAKE MIX!
Reeko
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Forty5ive » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:46 pm

Reeko wrote:
Cosmos wrote:My buddy Rentax does it but,

my pistol is good, but your semi automatic fire at slightly closer ranges is a huge disadvantage, not only that but you cant carry as much ammo in each mag. You have to be one sneaky mo cracka if you want to do good.

Yeah, I knew I would be at a disadvantage but I was wondering just how much of a disadvantage. Thanks for the replies!
Forty5ive
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Switchback » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:59 pm

I see it as an advantage in CQB and indoor play, but it bites during the day. Night games make the pistol work a little better as a primary. Mount a light on there, and you're set for all situations.
"I have the cutest dog."
Switchback

Postby Junto » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:35 pm

It's a bad idea and I actively frown on arriving armed only with pistols. It'd be better just not having them on the field. They're a waste of a team slot. The trick to making the Mk 23 work so well is putting an extended barrel in it and never removing the suppressor, otherwise it only has the usual reach of a pistol. Get a long gun or you'll spend every game trying to sneak, getting shot, and never being an effective member of your team.
Last edited by Junto on Sun May 25, 2014 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Junto

Team: DRAT

Postby Forty5ive » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:03 am

Junto wrote:It's a bad idea and I actively look down on people who arrive armed only with pistols. It'd be better just not having them on the field. They're a waste of a team slot. The trick to making the Mk 23 work so well is putting an extended barrel in it and never removing the suppressor, otherwise it only has the usual reach of a pistol. Get a long gun or you'll spend every game trying to sneak, getting shot, and never being an effective member of your team.

Ok, thank you for the imput Junto. When it comes to real steel I really love pistols, they are practical and manuverable for everyday civilian usage. I suppose I need to get out of that mindset while playing airsoft because the same principals dont apply here. I have an AEG its just a little old and beat up, I have been looking at this guy here http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.p ... ts_id=6279 as being my main weapon.
Forty5ive
Grunt
Grunt

Postby ogrejager » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:08 pm

Forty5ive wrote:...they are practical and manuverable for everyday civilian usage.

I disagree. The only advantage a pistol has is its ability to be carried concealed and unnoticed. In general, a pistol is mostly a tool to fight your way to a long gun. Carbines and shotguns--those are practical.

Also, what's "everyday civilian usage"? I'm a civilian. I spend a lot of time carrying rifles (which are quite practical while hunting big game) and shotguns (which are quite practical while bird hunting). Sure, some guys big game hunt with pistols, but they're a very small minority. So, I'd say that pistols are pretty unpractical for typical "civilian usage."

Same applies to airsoft. I'd rather have a teammate with a crummy AEG than one with a pistol. Rentax is the obvious exception to this statement.

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Postby Forty5ive » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:33 pm

ogrejager wrote:
Forty5ive wrote:...they are practical and manuverable for everyday civilian usage.

I disagree. The only advantage a pistol has is its ability to be carried concealed and unnoticed. In general, a pistol is mostly a tool to fight your way to a long gun. Carbines and shotguns--those are practical.

Also, what's "everyday civilian usage"? I'm a civilian. I spend a lot of time carrying rifles (which are quite practical while hunting big game) and shotguns (which are quite practical while bird hunting). Sure, some guys big game hunt with pistols, but they're a very small minority. So, I'd say that pistols are pretty unpractical for typical "civilian usage."

Same applies to airsoft. I'd rather have a teammate with a crummy AEG than one with a pistol. Rentax is the obvious exception to this statement.

Well then you and I have different deffinitions for "everyday civilian usage". I do not consider hunting everyday civilian usage, I would have said hunting if that was what I meant. Also, if pistols are only a tool for fighting your way back to a rifle then why have police been using them for so long? I realize that rifles are superior to pistols when it comes to ballistics (I own rifles as well so I can attest to their performace), but that was never my question. Thank you for your input but you misunderstood my post.
Forty5ive
Grunt
Grunt

Postby BobTheRabbit » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:25 pm

If you want to rock a pistol, then go for it. There are several disadvantages, which have been covered, but several advantages. Speed and maneuverability - with a pistol there is less weight and bulk to carry. CQB - pistols are very good in close quarters. What you lack is firepower, ammo capacity, and to some extent, range. Most people play with AEGs that shoot anywhere from 100-200 ft. Most pistols top out around 100-125 ft. You have to get close to be effective. Most AEGs can have 100-200 rounds in the mag, unless you count Hi caps, the they might as well have a million rounds in the mag. Most pistols to out around 20-25 rounds. You have to use less or carry more ammo to be effective. Most pistols don't fire more than one round at a time. Most people with AEGs don't know they're AEG is capable of single fire and spray 100 bbs at a time. AEGs outclass pistols all the time. But it's not about the gun, it's about the player. Play to your weapon's strengths - Stay sneaky and concealed, surprise is your ally, get as close as you can before engaging, use your shots wisely - DON'T MISS.
If people on here are hating on you for wanting to rock a pistol instead of a shitty AEG that will fail and turn into a money pit, I say you should punk them with your pistol next time you see them on the field.
It's all in how you play the game. Playing with more disadvantages is more challenging and at times frustrating, but when you come out on top it is that much more rewarding.
BobTheRabbit
Grunt
Grunt

Postby ogrejager » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:18 pm

Forty5ive wrote:Well then you and I have different deffinitions for "everyday civilian usage". I do not consider hunting everyday civilian usage, I would have said hunting if that was what I meant. Also, if pistols are only a tool for fighting your way back to a rifle then why have police been using them for so long? I realize that rifles are superior to pistols when it comes to ballistics (I own rifles as well so I can attest to their performace), but that was never my question. Thank you for your input but you misunderstood my post.

1. So, then, what is your "deffinition" of "everyday civilian usage"? I'd like to hear that.

2. Police only carry pistols because, as I said, the ability to carry them easily. Last time I looked, many police cars still carry long guns (or the officers have them in their day bags). Why? Because when the police actually think they might actually need a firearm, they get a long gun. Because pistols aren't "practical." It's kind of like bringing a knife to gun fight (bonus points for knowing the movie reference), only slightly better.

3. No, I didn't misunderstand your post. You were talking about running a pistol at an airsoft game. Then, though, you also started talking about this "civilian usage" thing. I was referring to that. If you'll reread the above you'll note that I did give a response to your original question, also.

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Postby Forty5ive » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:43 pm

ogrejager wrote:
Forty5ive wrote:Well then you and I have different deffinitions for "everyday civilian usage". I do not consider hunting everyday civilian usage, I would have said hunting if that was what I meant. Also, if pistols are only a tool for fighting your way back to a rifle then why have police been using them for so long? I realize that rifles are superior to pistols when it comes to ballistics (I own rifles as well so I can attest to their performace), but that was never my question. Thank you for your input but you misunderstood my post.

1. So, then, what is your "deffinition" of "everyday civilian usage"? I'd like to hear that.

2. Police only carry pistols because, as I said, the ability to carry them easily. Last time I looked, many police cars still carry long guns (or the officers have them in their day bags). Why? Because when the police actually think they might actually need a firearm, they get a long gun. Because pistols aren't "practical." It's kind of like bringing a knife to gun fight (bonus points for knowing the movie reference), only slightly better.

3. No, I didn't misunderstand your post. You were talking about running a pistol at an airsoft game. Then, though, you also started talking about this "civilian usage" thing. I was referring to that. If you'll reread the above you'll note that I did give a response to your original question, also.

Ok, me and you are off to a bad start and I am going to respectfully walk away from this conversation. Thank you for your reply to my original post. I will consider you input while purchasing my next airsoft replica.
Forty5ive
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Forty5ive » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:46 pm

BobTheRabbit wrote:If you want to rock a pistol, then go for it. There are several disadvantages, which have been covered, but several advantages. Speed and maneuverability - with a pistol there is less weight and bulk to carry. CQB - pistols are very good in close quarters. What you lack is firepower, ammo capacity, and to some extent, range. Most people play with AEGs that shoot anywhere from 100-200 ft. Most pistols top out around 100-125 ft. You have to get close to be effective. Most AEGs can have 100-200 rounds in the mag, unless you count Hi caps, the they might as well have a million rounds in the mag. Most pistols to out around 20-25 rounds. You have to use less or carry more ammo to be effective. Most pistols don't fire more than one round at a time. Most people with AEGs don't know they're AEG is capable of single fire and spray 100 bbs at a time. AEGs outclass pistols all the time. But it's not about the gun, it's about the player. Play to your weapon's strengths - Stay sneaky and concealed, surprise is your ally, get as close as you can before engaging, use your shots wisely - DON'T MISS.
If people on here are hating on you for wanting to rock a pistol instead of a shitty AEG that will fail and turn into a money pit, I say you should punk them with your pistol next time you see them on the field.
It's all in how you play the game. Playing with more disadvantages is more challenging and at times frustrating, but when you come out on top it is that much more rewarding.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the input.

After thinking about it for the last day or so, I think these guys are right about bringing a rifle to a rifle fight instead of bringing a pistol to a rifle fight.
Forty5ive
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Shortbu » Wed May 21, 2014 10:56 pm

If you enjoy running recon for your team, your sneaky, and fast, running a "good" pistol is not all that bad, and could be fun. The game is what you make it. If you plan on just doing the run and gun thing with a pistol alone you'll probably be miserable.(enless you enjoy walking to spawn) But, if your good, and smart, you could still have a good time.
In general I agree that most should bring an AEG. There are very few with the skillset, or patience to just rock a pistol. Rentax is the exception. His MK23 isn't bone stock,and shoots very well. Also helps that it's a non-blowback, so it's very quiet. AND he IS one sneaky mo cracker. He had popped me a couple of times before I joined his team. Both times he hit me dead center mass, I hardly heard a pop, and never saw him. The first time I didn't know who it was till he told me. Second time I knew exactly who it was.
Joke em' if they can't take a shazaam!
Shortbu
Soldier
Soldier

Next

Return to Community General Discussion