MILES System for Airsoft?

Discuss anything and everything here that's Airsoft related.

MILES System for Airsoft?

Postby Matt » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:14 am

So while at Shot Show, I was talking with G&G about their new M.I.T., stands for Military Intelligence Tracer. The product is a tracer unit, BB counter and chronograph all in one. But I also learned that they plan to integrate a laser targeting system into a similar unit, players would able to record hits up to 300 meters, that's over 300 yards for the metric challenged. It's much like the Military's MILES system, although much cheaper and designed for Airsoft.

So you'd have a device like this on your gun, you'd shoot as normal at targets that may be way beyond your typical range and still be able to count it as a hit. I could see this really changing the way games are played, considering that if you're out in the open even way out of range... you could be hit!

Do you guys think the Airsoft community would use something like this? Or perhaps maybe a more hardcore mil-sim event? That is, assuming it works. I seem to recall lots of our enlisted people complain about MILES. What do you guys think?
Matt

Team: APST

Re: MILES System for Airsoft?

Postby Jester316 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:53 am

Could be fun, but I think the price point (even though it hasn't been announced) will preclude it from widespread use. Also, how big will the sensor units be? Will the work over the gear we already have? How weather proof are they? How crush, drop, shock proof? Maybe I'm way off, but even if it's $200 for the unit and sensors, I see a lot of people choosing to spend that money elsewhere. And than you'll get only a handful of players using it at games, so they can only "kill" certain people at 300m. Everyone else won't react to the lasers....

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby RedSpo0n » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:38 pm

I like the idea, but agree that it won't see wide acceptance.

It's a matter of either everyone uses it, or no one - and then what's the point of using BBs at all. When people invest so much time and money into SAWs or bolt actions, for example, leveling the playing field with the same 'projectile' via laser would pretty drastically change how we play. Not sure if that's good or bad though.

I would totally still play daylight capable laser tag with replica weapon systems though. All weapon functions replicated, but no actual projectile - I'd be down. Again, changes how we play though. Slightest brush becomes thick cover because lasers have no penetration.

I could also see a large event host providing sensors to all players, and equipping certain roles with lasers. Snipers on rooftops at 'Lion Claws' with emitter units to present more challenge in crossing open zones, etc. Then the game is played as normal, but with the extra reach provided to heavy weapons or some such.

Oh and tacking on yet another thought - in it's original form as just a tracer/counter/chrono - I'd probably buy one if I didn't already have a tracer and chrono in my stash.
With all the pretty flowers and twigs in your ghillie.. perhaps you should take up gardening?
RedSpo0n
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Postby Alien_Hunter » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Does it require other players to wear something like a laser tag vest? The local indoor arena has paintball guns equipped with laser hit counters, which I though was REALLY cool because you get the blowback and noise minus the paint.
I'm the osiris of this.
Alien_Hunter
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Junto » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:31 pm

Hell no. No lasers. No frills. If I'm not hit with a BB, you didn't bleeding get me.
Junto

Team: DRAT

Postby Jester316 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:53 pm

I would play realistic laser tag...

I would play realistic airsoft...

I wouldn't play a combination game.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby McNair » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:12 pm

I would just shoot blanks. Defeats the purpose of shooting a projectile.
McNair

Postby MillerSA15 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:19 pm

Depends on the price point. If they are cheap enough I can see them being implemented widely in milsim events, especially if they can be fitted in such a way that allows them to be used with blank fire weapons, ala MSW, so that those weapons are capable of both psychological effect, and getting kills.

Too expensive and I can imagine only seeing them used for that VIP game, where the sniper gets the laser on his rifle, and the VIP gets the sensors and everyone else plays airsoft.

It would be awesome if they were cheap enough to run a purely lasertag game though, depending on how the laser is triggered (and what kind of laser...but I'm assuming if it has a 300m limit, it is eye safe) it would mean no need for eyepro. :)
MillerSA15
Ranger
Ranger

Team: SOTA

Postby Darius137 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:11 pm

An arena could have these and then up their price to cover them, but how reliable and robust are they to be used by 13 year olds day in and day out before breaking?
Member of Rushing Russians KBДB (Cascadian VDV/Airborne) chapter.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/KEBAB.PARTY/
Darius137

Team: RR KBAB

Postby Heretic » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:10 pm

Junto wrote:Hell no. No lasers. No frills. If I'm not hit with a BB, you didn't f***ing get me.

This. No exceptions.
Heretic
Specops
Specops

Postby Nodachi » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:58 pm

So that's where this went. I saw an ad for this last year, and they were billing it together with their 'M.E.T. targets' as something to be used in competitions. In fact, the ad says it was used at the "2013 shooting and games show Paris" and will be used at G&G's shoothouse for a 2014 World Cup.
Nodachi
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Steve » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:21 am

I'd probably avoid comparing anything I wanted to convince people to buy as "similar to MILES". Maybe "like MILES, but actually works. Some of the time".

I love the idea of a combo tracer unit / chrono. I'd love it more if there was some sort of removable cover for the LCD. Also, I'd really prefer it to be a QD setup rather than threading onto the muzzle (not sure if it is or not), as that removes cross-threading or stripping issues.

If the tracer internals are similar to the ones G&G use in their existing cans, then I am looking forward to their release, and will probably pick a couple up. I've been running two G&G cans for a couple of years now, and the units have held up remarkably well to heavy use, mounting / remounting to multiple AEGs, and occasional bouncing off of walls.
This Week In Airsoft wrote:This Week in Airsoft stands behind its statement... The internet and YouTube can be your teacher.

Steve

Postby ClownBaby » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:42 am

Could also be an attempt by G&G to draw sales from those in the military/LE world who still don't see "airsoft" as a viable training tool.
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby ShienoO » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:58 am

Any idea if this will integrate with the MILES 2000 system that the Military uses for field training? I could think of several cool things to do with this out in the field.

Last edited by ShienoO on Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShienoO
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Matt » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:12 am

ShienoO wrote:Any idea if this will integrate with the MILES 2000 system that the Military uses for field training? I could think of several cool things to do with this out in the field.

Not that I know of. I think it's proprietary to G&G.
Matt

Team: APST

Next

Return to Community General Discussion