Blanks in airsoft

Discuss anything and everything here that's Airsoft related.

Re: Blanks in airsoft

Postby Cameron Zombie » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:38 pm

Payback wrote:
Cosmos wrote:[/color]
M4/M16 easily capable of hitting a man sized target at 100 yards/300 feet, beyond actually. Especially if static. Minimal training ensures this

No Shit? Wow, I never knew. Oh yeah, we aren't using live rounds are we. It's an airsoft game.

How about using more logic so that your argument is more accurate?
;)

Thanks, i'm so stupid some times. I just never undersood how airsoft is now supposed to be blank fire. And if you read my post again, you'll see that i never mentioned dead to right shots. I'm talking about the shots over the range of an airsoft gun or ones that most people miss when shooting airsoft. (running side to side). Those are the shots i wouldn't call, because as far as the target knows you were aiming in the air and pulled the trigger. The 20 yard shots (thanks for doing the math on how many feet that is, i stayed up all night on that one) are obvious if your hit even with a pretend round. Those anyone would call a hit on.

As I said, this fellow was cool. He had honor and a sense of fair play. Is that something that seems foreign to you?

So now it comes down to me being a hacker and having no honor and that i can't play fair? Lets break this down. This is an airsoft web site, we play airsoft games, the thread is about blanks in AIRSOFT. I expect that when i go to an airsoft game to be shot at with airsoft bb's and when i'm hit i call them, even ones i'm not sure about.

What i have a problem with blanks is the possible hacker on the trigger of the blank weapon. And the almost guaranteed bitching and whining when the inevitable question arises of weather or not somebody was hit or not. It's been said in this thread that blanks were used to out range airsoft guns. That's 150 to 250ft (that's 50 to 83 yards) how is it known that the shot wasn't wide, short, too high? You don't.

I don't have an issue with safety on them, even tho i don't like the thought of somebody shooting something real my way with pretend rounds (Brandon Lee?)

I don't see the need for blank fire to be used as part of an airsoft game (players using them the same as an airsoft gun), but the use of them to enhance the experience is fine, or using one in a squad of airsoft guns. (for the sound, not actually being effective).

What i see happening is more and more games will have blank fire, and more and more people will start to use them, and more and more bitching and whining will happen on both ends of the blank fire weapon. Isn't there enough already?

You are absolutely correct. It is not for large groups of AVERAGE players Eliteness at it's best. That's where blank fire used in airsoft is going to go. The new breed of gearwhores and tactical airsoft rangers.
[/quote]
Stop acting like a child at 39 years old. He made an argument, you countered with condescending remarks, and he shot it back at you. Grow up and realize this is a discussion topic, not a "You're right, I'm right" situation.
Cameron Zombie
Soldier
Soldier

Team: SpecDet1

Postby dos_Santos » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:14 am

I love the immersion of blank fire. I even had the opportunity of a RUSFOR member firing a "round" off 3 feet from me indoors during the KLE at MSW: CC. (Andy's left ear wasn't too happy.) I don't see MSW getting rid of BF at their events, especially knowing that several over their members are re-enactors and are bringing that element/flavor over to milsim. It doesn't have to be your cup of tea, and you can let them know with your lack of dollars.

Interesting enough, not the TACSOP, nor the rules one had to agreed to to even use blank fire stopped human error during the KLE. Thankfully technology saved my hearing. Like Jester said, come prepared knowing full well what you might be exposed to.
I do hope that after all this discreditable shuffling we may be taken into action. It has a wonderful way of reconciling a man with himself: and with everybody else, sometimes. - 1st Lt. James Dillon
dos_Santos
Ranger
Ranger

Team: N/A

Postby Nocte » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:08 pm

Airsoft is just NERF taken to the next level. NERF was cool when we were kids and it was fun to shoot your buddies, and airsoft is kind of a one-up on NERF with the realism and the disposable ammo. We don't, however, need to one-up airsoft with real-steel "because we have them." It just seems like a way to be the bigger alpha badass in front of everyone else with their "little bb guns" and make the same tired comments about "well THIS one is a little over the FPS limit, heh heh heh" and all the range-ninja politics that come along with it.

I don't think blank firing rounds add anything to the immersion of a well-planned game; it's just another gimmick that players will end up paying for with their admission.
ImageImage
Nocte

Team: APST

Postby McNair » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:20 pm

Who are you? ;)
McNair

Postby dos_Santos » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:42 pm

Why so serious? :? You need to go to a good event that has good blank fire, and MSW did just that. What did you think of the blank fire at Darial Gate or Crimean Crisis?
I do hope that after all this discreditable shuffling we may be taken into action. It has a wonderful way of reconciling a man with himself: and with everybody else, sometimes. - 1st Lt. James Dillon
dos_Santos
Ranger
Ranger

Postby tumbledry » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:14 pm

Nocte wrote:
I don't think blank firing rounds add anything to the immersion of a well-planned game; it's just another gimmick that players will end up paying for with their admission.

You should go to a MSW event, it may change your opinion.
tumbledry
Grunt
Grunt

Postby LettuceHead » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:51 pm

As everyone keeps repeating, go do what you like. Take a hit from blankfire if you feel honorable, but don't take it personally if they don't.

I just do blank fire reenacting now, and the mindset is a bit different. Everyone has blanks so everyone knows the consequences of muzzle blast. We purposely avoid getting too close, and if we want to have a bit of hand to hand combat for dramatic effect then it is agreed upon in advance so that once a position is reached then fingers are off the trigger. You are also expected to be an adult, know your weapon, crimped blanks only, and bring your own ear protection. I have had to lecture a few new guys on muzzle awareness, but in general it's a non-issue. Sure, there is the usual complaint of non-hit calling in the heat of the moment, but in the end no one cares as long as the day was a learning experience in some way. Blankfire reenacting in the US started shortly after the Civil War, and it has as good if not better of a track record of safety as airsoft.

The best airsoft experience I ever had was a airsoft/ blank combined WW2 event, and the use of blanks was gone over in detail during the rules and briefing. The noise, flash and especially the smell is what pushed me over the edge as far as immersion. However, both airsoft and blank users need to be aware of muzzle blast and plan their positions or actions accordingly. I also feel that ear protection must be provided by the game promoter. They can't make a player wear it, but they should hand it to each and every player at registration for both protection and liability. As discussed before, no blankfire should be allowed directed into buildings or inside rooms. The resonation effect of the muzzle blast is unsafe, even with ear pro. For example, when doing blankfire reenactments at the Rilea MOUT site you are required to have your muzzle at least 6 inches outside of a windowsill or door frame. When firing at an angle out of a window, you move the muzzle to the corner of the window so the blast doesn't come inside. Same goes for firing in trenches... over the parapet, not down the trench.

All the MSW games keep landing on weekends when I'm busy... I'd like to come out in a non-combat acting role sometime :)
LettuceHead
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Norseman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:07 pm

I'll take the noise of booms and bangs of blank fire and pyro's any day over a whirring TM gear box...........thanks.

It's about realism, it's about immersion, right?

Other wise we would all be playing paintball, with flames on our regulators and pouring pods of paint balls into our hoppers.....

As for not calling hits? Yah, it happens in blank fire too. But from my experience reenactors are way more apt to let it go and move on than a airsofter. And I've watched fist fights happen in paint ball.

Anyhow, airsoft is airsoft and reenacting is reenacting, but blank fire certainly spices things up for airsoft. The first time I ever experienced this was at Gallant Saber with a propane fired ma duece...........I never once said to myself "Gee.....I wish they had NOT brought that dang thing!" ;)
Norseman
Sponsor
Sponsor

Team: SDD

Postby Shortbu » Tue May 06, 2014 7:06 pm

andriesyertz wrote:I don't shoot blanks all the time, just to test it out. It makes a not good sound every time i shoot a blank. Can i break or damage my gun just by about 20 or under shots of blanks?

They are talking about shooting blank rounds from real guns. The ammo is the same, with no projectile. You get the real gun sound, and gun powder smell, without an actual bullet flying through the air.
Joke em' if they can't take a shazaam!
Shortbu
Soldier
Soldier

Team: SpecDet1

Previous

Return to Community General Discussion