Missing Squad Tactics in Gameplay

Discuss anything and everything here that's Airsoft related.

Missing Squad Tactics in Gameplay

Postby Vernichtung » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:47 am

In my experience in the past year, a lot of airsoft events are basically becoming more shoot-em-up games. No perfectly planned military maneuvers or strategys (even if they claim they are). I remember 2 years ago at one of the Lord's of War events, we had squads that were given specific objectives to defend/attack, and a commander who was...... a commander. Not just some lame excuse for the "big boss" but actually someone who commanded all squads on what or where they need to be. Basically a semi- milsim event. Not just everyone running around shooting each other.
At the recent "Jungle Srike" game at sniperzden, FOAD team demonstrated a perfect example of what I hope will be brought back into airsoft. Squad tactics. TEAM WORK.

Tell me what you guys think about this lack of gameplay
Vernichtung
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Re: Missing Squad Tactics in Gameplay

Postby Cyclops » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:42 pm

Wow thank you very much. As captain of team FOAD that's what we try to accomplish. Team work and communication. Seems the games are getting more of the shoot em up type but we wont go to that level. There is always an objective that must be completed and win or lose we were out there to have fun and make new friends. Hacking is always an issue but in our book if you get shot or even think you have been shot just call your hit. Nothing wrong with that. Your only cheating your self if you don't call your hits.
Specdet1 and Phantom Fury run the same way as well I believe LOL. We just have NEVER played on the same side in any of these games which down the road we would like to run with them as well.
Our commander at that time gave us an objective and that was the only thing that was on our mind "The Objective". Only way of getting there is working together and advancing. I know there is some talk about a new commander type of role which will help out the games more. Best thing for everyone out there is to have fun and be safe. If a safety issue comes around help that individual out like we did when one of the opposing team hurt his knee or what ever. That I know of 2 of our guys took them selves out of game to help this person to safety.
Right now we host a few games out at "The Swamp" in Lebanon and so far we have had all positive feed back. Airsofting will be slowing down during the winter but next spring things will get more active and we invite everyone to play with us or against us and going out having fun.
Cyclops
Ranger
Ranger

Team: F.O.A.D

Postby trevor comstock » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:11 am

I think preparation is large component the prevents a shoot-em-up from becoming a more disciplined endeavor. To do so has benefits beyond having a more productive event. It also inspires a consumer confidence that leadership is worth participating in, as opposed to something to avoid. "Just show up and I'll explain everything then" tact, is very un-conducive to leading anything beyond a gaggle. I noticed repeatedly a few comments, about faction forums not being made due to a lack of interest. This omission, I believe to be directly related to the resulting feeling of "mob" play.
trevor comstock
Recruit
Recruit

Postby ClownBaby » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:02 am

LOL

This comes down to the player, not the host, CO's, XO's, SQL's or even your grandma.

Not everyone can be expected to perform at that level. (I know, I know) Some people just wanna run headlong into it.
Some people want nothing to do with a squad, and are far more effective on their own.

Personally I think games work best when there are squads and lone wolves.

Theirs always teams/squads at games that set objectives for themselves. These groups are pretty easy to pick out in the parking lot, they're usually the one doing radio checks before the briefing. Ask to tag along, but respect if they say no.

I pretty sure if you have a squad, and your at a game, ask the host or team leadership and they'll be happy to issue a FRAGO or DAM. This also go's for seeing a game on here, or somewhere else. If you wanna try a gameplay mechanic, or you think somethings missing from the game plan, bring it up. You'd have to ask pretty rudely to get a negative reaction out of any of us, I think.

But again, if you can't stay mission oriented, don't stick yourself on a stick!

AND OMFG, USE THOSE FANCY F**KING RADIO'S THAT YOU PAID SO MUCH MONEY FOR!!!
cereal..
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby trevor comstock » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:29 pm

Perhaps there is a diference between being a Host and that of an Organizer?
trevor comstock
Recruit
Recruit

Postby McNair » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:56 pm

Commanders suck? Volunteer to be a commander.
Games don't have what you want? Set up your own games.

This is what we've done over the last 14 years.
However, kids(of all ages) want run and gun. This is why those games attract such a large number of people.
You want organized squads, objectives, command structure? Come out to MSW's games.
There will also be some games in the future(not affiliated with MSW)that will be an introduction to these style of games without the cost of the required gear.
Last edited by McNair on Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
McNair

Postby trevor comstock » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:34 pm

I am glad you brought up MSW. Andrew Cooper had mentioned at JTC how Squad Tactics could be organized as the main role rather than the conventional points, flags, respawn/kill counts in even the simple afternoon skirmish. This should not be perceived as assault to hosts, in that there will never be a shortage of awesome individual players who are satisfied with getting together with as many other awesome individual players to do as they may for the afternoon or weekend. There does seem to be a growing concern among others(such that originated this thread) that those same core Squad Tactics the MSW does, can be organized into other venues without the need for costly vehicles, facilities, indirect fire, or multi-day expenditures. Does MilSim or even the addition of Squad Tactics need to equate to a hefty price tag? Does it need plate carriers and matching hats? It is good to hear that there is future plans, knowing that this is more difficult to organize and will be appreciated by fewer.
trevor comstock
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Jester316 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:16 pm

trevor comstock wrote:I am glad you brought up MSW. Andrew Cooper had mentioned at JTC how Squad Tactics could be organized as the main role rather than the conventional points, flags, respawn/kill counts in even the simple afternoon skirmish. This should not be perceived as assault to hosts, in that there will never be a shortage of awesome individual players who are satisfied with getting together with as many other awesome individual players to do as they may for the afternoon or weekend. There does seem to be a growing concern among others(such that originated this thread) that those same core Squad Tactics the MSW does, can be organized into other venues without the need for costly vehicles, facilities, indirect fire, or multi-day expenditures. Does MilSim or even the addition of Squad Tactics need to equate to a hefty price tag? Does it need plate carriers and matching hats? It is good to hear that there is future plans, knowing that this is more difficult to organize and will be appreciated by fewer.

Huh, I didn't think anyone ever listened to me... :D

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby trevor comstock » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:33 pm

And no one was more surprised than I (considering the source), yet your point held true. The parts that I found best about the three-day long weekend; The team FB forum, your rehearsals and dry-runs behind he barracks(hell's yeah), setting up positions and defending at night, the three squads with another in support maneuvering to displace the enemy at the rappel tower, and even our failed attack. These were all things that had nothing to do with having barracks, trucks, fireworks, or a large amazon.com bill. But are things that could be organized into an afternoon or weekend affair and done with a greater frequency than 2-3 times per year. And when skirmishes or events are organized with that preparation factor in place. I think that a few of the awesome individual players may be less independent.
trevor comstock
Recruit
Recruit

Return to Community General Discussion