Different types of barrels

Discuss anything and everything here that's Airsoft related.

Different types of barrels

Postby Cyclops » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:17 pm

Newbiesh question. Been looking at inner barrels and placed an order on Evike. I didn't noticed but one of the barrels I ordered says PSG-1. Does this mean it wont fit on an AEG. Will it fit in a sniper gun with a PDI hop up unit? Just curious if the hop up window is different or something else on these barrels. I just don't want to send it back if it will work in one of my other guns (which isn't a PSG-1).
Cyclops
Ranger
Ranger

Team: F.O.A.D

Re: Different types of barrels

Postby Jewish Ninja » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:32 pm

IIRC, some spring guns have a different hop-up cutout than an AEG. Some can take an AEG barrel, others need a new hop-up assembly to make it work.

I know shit about spring guns, so I dunno.
Threepeat! AP Gearwhore of the Year.
WWGFD?
Adjective noun is adjective.
Jewish Ninja

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Nodachi » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:32 am

The barrel does not have proprietary cuts in a PSG-1, it should fit into the PDI hop unit, it's just pretty long and it's possible you may not be able to push the required volume in a spring gun. The PSG-1s barrel is well beyond the point of diminishing returns with barrel length.
Nodachi
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Postby Cyclops » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:28 am

Current barrel in my sniper is 510mm and one of the new barrels I got (PSG-1) is a 590mm. I know I can get the volume of air thru the barrel no problem I was hoping this would fit in my G&G GR25 tho. If it doesn't then put it in my sniper. Just doing a lot of experiments with my guns over the winter since I don't play much in this cold weather.
Cyclops
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Rentax » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:25 am

PSG-1 is a modifier they use for barrel lengths of 510 and 590. The 510 is the stock length of the PSG-1 barrel but it stops a few millimeters shy of the end of the barrel cap which insets into the barrel. A 590 PSG-1 Barrel is only able to fit in a PSG-1 if you buy the extension and run it through a suppressor on the end. They both have a standard AEG barrel cut. They are labeled PSG-1 simply because they are VERY long and at the time they started making them very few other rifles would have been long enough for the PGS-1 barrels to fit in. That's not the case so much any more, but they still label the barrels the same any who.
The G&G SR 25 has an inner barrel length of 520mm so the 590 will stick out the end, but a suppressor should be able to take care of that.
We do what we want
Rentax

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Cyclops » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:31 am

Ya the GR25 came with a suppressor and we could fit up to a 650mm and still be a little shy from sticking out. Just made me nervous when we got it in the mail and had the PSG-1 label on it. I'll be doing some mods this weekend to see if I can get this project done.
Cyclops
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Airsoftee » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:12 am

Hey Cylclops, I don't know anything about PSG-1's, but a normal GR25 won't have enough air volume to handle more than roughly a 530mm inner barrel, you'd have to put a bore-up kit in it to get the air volume you want.
hope this helps.

airsoftee
Who's there? Oh, just me.

But you should know, I never travel alone…
Airsoftee
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Return to Community General Discussion