How to be a good team leader?

Discuss anything and everything here that's Airsoft related.

Re: How to be a good team leader?

Postby Matt » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:37 am

You lead by example. If you start attending games, meeting people and becoming known in the community it will be a lot easier to be respected as a leader and more people will want to join your team. I would disagree with the statement that there are born leaders. Leadership is born out of respect and trust, people don't trust and respect you until you earn it. That's why you've got to do the work and put in the time.
Matt

Team: APST

Postby Agent orange. » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:49 am

I agree, even though there have been some in the past. But never the less, you are right, put in the time, get the respect.

Also to go off topic really quick, is it ok to go to an event and where those 22 glasses? the ones that when you fire a 22 bullet at it bounces off. (but cracks the glasses) I was wondering because me and one of my mates have the kind that are also sunglasses at the same time
A error does not become a mistake, until you refuse to correct it.

Orlando a Battista.
Agent orange.
Grunt
Grunt

Team: 79th

Postby ClownBaby » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:19 am

No. You will need full seal goggles, preferably ESS or revision, something wide enough to put a fan on, if you find out and that you are a fogger.

Glasses fall off, goggles do not. Just look at JP! :badgrin:

As far as I know theirs no such thing as "glasses" that will stop 40 grains of lead, traveling at around 1250fps. Pretty sure that's just good marketing.

Listen to people like Matt and McNair, they've been doing this longer than you've been alive.
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby ogrejager » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:55 am

ClownBaby wrote:Listen to people like Matt and McNair, they've been doing this longer than you've been alive.

LOL

That's funny. I'm pretty sure I can say the same thing about Matt. I know I can about McNair.

Ask John Vida about me.

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Team: SpecDet1

Postby ClownBaby » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:08 am

I used to play paintball out there way back in the day too, like 95? 97? I knew you from the civil war games.

We don't have to tell the kids your old or a know it all, they know. :D
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby Matt » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:27 am

Agent orange. wrote:Also to go off topic really quick, is it ok to go to an event and where those 22 glasses? the ones that when you fire a 22 bullet at it bounces off. (but cracks the glasses) I was wondering because me and one of my mates have the kind that are also sunglasses at the same time

If you are talking about ANSI Z87.1 rated shooting glasses, lots of people wear those to events. They should be the kind that wrap around the face. But keep in mind, lots of people chip teeth, just goggles or glasses alone won't protect your mouth. Some people prefer to wear full face mask, a mouth guard, or one of those neoprene half-masks to protect teeth. Some events may also have age specific safety requirements for those under 18, just be sure to read the details of any event you plan to attend.
Matt

Team: APST

Postby Agent orange. » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:04 pm

Alright thanks, wanted to ask because a friend of mine and me of course wanted to know. And I will bring both the glasses, and the goggles and face mask to every event. thanks again.

Orlando a Battista.
Agent orange.
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Typhon » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:20 pm

Hi Agent Orange.

I see that you're trying to assemble a team of your own. That's good. It's good to do things with friends. I also think that it's good that you are willing to learn and willing to ask for help. That tells me two things.

1. You're coachable.

2. You're humble.

Both of these are good traits to have. Many of the guys here have told you to learn to follow first. And I concur with that. If you bring your group and it's just a handful of you, try to get attached to a more experienced team and observe how their team leaders communicate with their teammates. Even if it's just you at an op, attach to a squad of more experienced commanders and observe what they do. Ask questions after the mission is over and talk with these team leaders. You'll get different perspectives on what it takes to lead and you will eventually take bits and pieces from those around you, and formulate a leadership style that works for you. And even then, that style will change.

The mantle of leadership is a heavy one to bear. You will learn this when you first begin to command. And there will be times when you lose. But the wonderful thing about our game is that it's just that. A game. No one dies. So you have the opportunity to learn from mistakes. And you WILL make mistakes. Part of being a leader is willingness to accept responsibility for those mistakes. And that goes not just for the game, but for life.

I don't want to dump too much into your head right now though. I hope to see what you grow this team of yours into.
Motionless Operators Ventilate Easily...
Typhon
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Postby Agent orange. » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:24 pm

Thank you, I try my hardest, I want to be a good team leader, which means I have to learn from the pro's, the grunts, and many more. I look at every challenge, and problem in life, as a learning opportunity. Experience is what will help win the day, and even when your out there and don't know what your doing, it still can be really fun.
Thanks again, you guys are such a great help.

Orlando a Battista.
Agent orange.
Grunt
Grunt

Previous

Return to Community General Discussion