Loadout

Discuss anything and everything here that's Airsoft related.

Loadout

Postby Frin » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:56 pm

So I have a few questions about how to set up my loadout.

Obviously I need the pockets, holsters, slings, ect... to hold everything I have (which at this point isn't much) But when it comes to camo I'm a bit more confused. For instance, is it important to have multiple sets? It sounds as if many events have teams split up by the players camo, which makes sense, but if I only have a light forest camo does that mean I will always end up on the team with lighter forest/brush camos? Also, what if I just want to build a loadout that is more of a fashion statement, and what I mean by that is a loadout that becomes my symbol, how does that work out with the teams being split up?

I hope I've provided enough information for my question to be answered, and sorry if this is a repeat post, but I didn't see any other threads that really talked about this side of your loadout.
Those who say it can't be done are just getting in the way of the people who are doing it.
Frin
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Re: Loadout

Postby NakedOcelot » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:23 pm

Ace wrote:It sounds as if many events have teams split up by the players camo, which makes sense, but if I only have a light forest camo does that mean I will always end up on the team with lighter forest/brush camos? Also, what if I just want to build a loadout that is more of a fashion statement, and what I mean by that is a loadout that becomes my symbol, how does that work out with the teams being split up?

What is the name of your camo, and also what are planning to use to make your loadout more unique?
NakedOcelot
Grunt
Grunt

Postby ClownBaby » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:39 pm

Your new, don't worry about having all the gear right away.
Build yourself a kit of woodland, it's the cheapest and easiest to find. Then, if you want, build a tan or multicam kit.

And I'm curious about what you have in mind for this unique kit?
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby Frin » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:57 pm

Well it's not any sort of revolutionary idea. Video games have been allowing people willing to pay for cash shop items to do it since forever, that little bit of extra gear that makes people recognize who you are. Lets be honest, when everyone is walking around wearing full camo gear with a tactical vest and face mask on there are some people who start to get lost in it all and lose their identity as an individual.

I would use my own symbol as an example, but it doesn't carry much weight around here, so instead I'll use cyclops' since he has some weight behind his name, and it will be fairly simple to demonstrate. If he was to wear a mask that had a cyclops face on it then everyone on the field would immediately recognize it for his namesake. Then when he shot you, it wouldn't be hard to identify exactly who was kicking your butt. Mostly it's just another thing that would add to an individual's presence on the field.

Mostly I'm talking about customizing gear almost to the point that there is a character behind your loadout.
Attachments
cyclops mask.png
10 minute concept
cyclops mask.png (109.11 KiB) Viewed 1669 times
Those who say it can't be done are just getting in the way of the people who are doing it.
Frin
Grunt
Grunt

Postby ClownBaby » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:19 pm

As long as you use subdued colors, I'd say go for it.

While it is true that a lot of people have their faces covered up, you get to know who's who pretty quick. If you want to let people know who you are, just yell "Ace just capped yo a$$, fool!" No don't do that, LOL.
I would suggest getting some nametabs and a few patches that are your ace symbol, I assume that's what you'll be using?
Once you've played with someone for, let's say more than an hour, you know what they look like. IMHO, it's best to mark your backside somehow. Since most of your teammates will be seeing either your sides or your back, this helps with them not shooting you. Edit* My duck comment was made in error. When reading your other thread, I thought Ogres duck kills were your duck kills, I think I need a bigger phone! LOL

And as far as the mask goes, I would go for a solid, not mesh goggle, with a wire half mask lower. While a lot of people here use mesh eyepro, I've seen a handful of people get fragments of bb in their eyes, not good. Also with a half mask, you can put food and water in your face without removing your eyepro.
Last edited by ClownBaby on Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Frin » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:32 pm

Yeah I've talked with a lot of people about the mesh eyepro, that mask was just something I found on google images haha. Anyway thanks for the info and tips, though I doubt I'll be hanging a duck from my back any time soon, and I think I'll leave the shot calling to the people getting shot. But yeah I was thinking about getting a back patch that is the ace of spades symbol and sewing it on to the back of a jacket. I don't think I'll do that until I feel a little more comfortable spending money on this sport though.
Frin
Grunt
Grunt

Postby ClownBaby » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:20 pm

Patches will run you only a couple dollars a piece, and most backpacks, hydration carriers, helmets, even hats, come ready with hook and loop fuzzy side velcro already in place for your patch.

Edit* again, I derp

Pretty much all you need, is a gun, eyepro & facepro, a deathrag, gloves, and some kind of water carrying system. Play like that for 6 months to a year, then become a gear whore.
Last edited by ClownBaby on Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Frin » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:49 pm

have you ever seen fake dreads? I know that is something that's seen in paintball quite often, but I haven't watched a whole lot of airsofting videos
Frin
Grunt
Grunt

Postby ClownBaby » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:10 pm

LOL, I guess as long as their not so bright of a neon color, like enough to give away you or your teammates position, then go for it.

Saw those vids online of the guys dressed as the Predators, that was pretty cool.
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Rentax » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:21 pm

People say Airsoft is 75% fashion show, so you'll fit right in.
Although most events split teams up by camouflage, that is the color of the pants and tops you wear, not your gear. Usually you are allowed yo wear any color gear so longs as your uniform matches with the team uniform. So usually when starting out it is suggested buying a Camo that works for you to start with and then picking a color for your gear and sticking with that for a while. Then as you grow your collection you can branch out to other camouflage uniforms and maybe once you learn what kind of gear you want/need/enjoy running you can start getting more specific Loadouts and kits together.

For example my team uses AOR2/M81 as our primary and Multicam as our secondary, but most of my gear is Tan, or Coyote Brown. People say I stick out amongst the greens and browns of the Pacific NW cause my kit is not green, but with the engagement distances in the airsoft world, it generally doesn't matter. That being said, sticking out isn't always the way you want to go either.

This is all just my two cents.

As for making yourself unique, may I suggest not going with a "look" but going for more of a style. Don't let you're kit define who you are as a player, but instead let how you play style define your kit. The latter part of this is going to happen anyway, snipers, infantry, and grenadiers never look the same, their kits are too varied to all be wearing the same thing, so if you decide to change up the weapon or style of game play your kit will change with it and if your look is part of your kit you've lost your look. However if you find a niche and make yourself know for being a player that people want to have around it won't matter what you look like because people will know you for being a player they want to have around. That's how I did it anyway. Do I have a brand, yes, Do people associate Rentax with that brand, yes, but not with my loadout. It's the way I play airsoft, not what I look like while I'm doing it. Do I still come out to the fashion show and make a good showing. I like to think so, but it's not my kit that defines me as a players.

In my opinion, a lot of new players come out to airsoft and want to make a splash, they want to be different, they want
to be seen, but many of them don't have the skills to be or willingness to learn to be a team player. So they hit the field with that first person shooter, army of one attitude just like all the other new players and for a while (sometimes longer) this is what defines them as a player. Sometimes fading into the crowd is exactly what you need while you develop the skills it takes to be a good airsoft player. Then once people start recognizing your abilities as a player you can start branding yourself.

Cyclops had it easy, he's only got one eye, picking a name wasn't hard (I joke Cyclops)... But it wasn't until he started proving himself on the field that people started to recognize him at events and getting to know his name. It's not about having a brand, it's about proving yourself on the field. Brand or no brand, if you can continually prove yourself on the field people will learn your name. <- Be fore warned this is not always a good thing. If people start to take notice of you, and they don't like what they see they will start gunning for you. I have seen teams who have put prices on specific players heads at events.
We do what we want
Rentax

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Frin » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:12 am

Thanks Rentax. To be honest I was kinda waiting for someone to post something similar to what you did, and of course as a new player I want to be recognized, but I can be honest with myself and realize that's probably not going to happen. In reality I have no idea how I'll fit in here because it's something completely new to me, and I really just need to get started. Mostly I just can't actually do that right now, so talking about it is the best I can do. As I've said before I'm just absolutely stoked to become part of this community, and to get out there and start shooting. As I'm looking at the events and reading through the descriptions I just can't wait to get out to an event. just running around shooting people is fun an all, but I've always leaned more towards the objective side of things. I was taking a look at the upcoming Dawn of War event, and I wish I could be there so bad, but it's just not gonna happen.

It seems my excitement has become a sort of diarrhea of forum posts and I apologize to anyone that may be annoyed by that.
Frin
Grunt
Grunt

Postby ClownBaby » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:10 am

No need to apologize, your just excited, that's a good thing!

You say that you can't "do it right now" is this in reference to funding?
I'll be hosting my first game of the season on March 21st at Splat Action Paintball Park in Molalla, Oregon, if you can get a ride out, & pay the entery, I'll hook you up with protection gear and a gun.
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Cyclops » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:16 am

Me with vision problems you want to know how I can tell people apart? Oh and I'm also color blind as well so playing in the woods is ALWAYS fun! It is there style of walk and movement. As for having one eye I'm going to put out a request that I can use my eye as a grenade. I should be able to get a 20ft kill radius.
Honestly who want people to notice you on the field on top of what was said by Rentex. Most new guys think they are invincible and are to excited that when they get shot they don't notice it and don't call their hits. You want to be notice show good sportsmanship and if you think you got hit but not sure I usually yell out not sure if you hit me but I'll call the hit. Try to keep others around you honorable and keeping everyone in a positive attitude. Players around you will notice. But the first couple games kind of lay low watch players and look for other players you might be able to run with. There is a lot of players out there that will show you the ropes.
Cyclops
Ranger
Ranger

Team: F.O.A.D

Postby Agent orange. » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:58 pm

If you want to, get some sort of helmet and put the spade on there, just like band of brothers. And for that whole fashion thing, I am going to try to go with a red beret, which the S.A.S. use. But it's your choice, hope to see you on the field someday!
A error does not become a mistake, until you refuse to correct it.

Orlando a Battista.
Agent orange.
Grunt
Grunt

Team: 79th

Postby Rentax » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:42 pm

Agent orange. wrote:If you want to, get some sort of helmet and put the spade on there, just like band of brothers. And for that whole fashion thing, I am going to try to go with a red beret, which the S.A.S. use. But it's your choice, hope to see you on the field someday!

Red Beret will be a no go for most hosts. We use read cloth in the air or on the head as an indicator that you have been hit on your walk back to spawn. Death rags was call them. Most hosts try and require them in order to play, but they will definitely not allow a player to wear red on their head.
We do what we want
Rentax

Team: SpecDet1

Next

Return to Community General Discussion