AEG or GBBR?

Discuss anything and everything here that's Airsoft related.

AEG or GBBR?

Postby binicb2r » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:50 am

Its been a long time since Ive done anything with airsoft. Back in college I was highly active in airsoft. Still have the guts of my old DBoys M4 and my Tokyo Marui "SBR" has been waiting for me in the corner where it was set when I couldnt get semi auto to work reliably.

I have a couple questions;

To preface my requirements is I have heavily gone into the real firearms world and now with the price of ammo (5.45x39 has more than doubled in price, 9mm is around $1/rnd, etc) I need a way to keep those skills sharp/learn new stuff/working with a team and I am looking back at airsoft. I have also gone away from the AR to the AK. I would love to have something that is an accurate reproduction of an AKS74U as that is my go to gun. I am not concerned about having FA but I do want the mag changes, bolt manipulation, selector manipulation and weight.

What do you guys think/recommend? Should I go with something like an AEG JG (Ive had very good experience with JG in the past) or should I look at GBB like a WeTech AK74UN?

Explain to me HPA/CO2 ready, please. Can I still run the thing on propane like I did in the old days with my GBB pistols?

Thanks!
binicb2r
Soldier
Soldier

Team: OITAC

Re: AEG or GBBR?

Postby Variable » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:38 pm

Hey,
Fellow OIT alum here. 2003-2008.

If you want to train, then you want trigger pull that's realistic right? GBBR is going to be one of the most realistic trigger pulls you can get (although if someone knows better please let me know). AEG triggers tend to be more "vague" than something with an actual sear underneath.
I can't say anything about the WE because I haven't handled it, but I can say the KWA AK GBBRs are fanstastic as far as the trigger/bolt/magazine feel. Its still a "toy" feeling compared to the real thing, but that's the nature.
Variable

Team: APST

Postby Kendodude » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:22 am

I would highly recommend the GHK AK line up for GBBR AKs. They are much more reliable and have a much wider variety of aftermarket internal parts compared to WE-Tech, which also tends to have a lot of pot metal internals from time to time. They really are Hit or Miss. A lot of GBBR AK users I've met down here in SoCal swear by GHK! They may be more expensive than the WE-Tech, but you get what you pay for. You can find GHK and KWA internal upgrade parts overseas at places like WGCShop, BunnyworkshopHK, and ShooterCB Gear. Before you decide on upgrading and tuning your gun, I suggest taking it out for a run first before upgrading.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHkZr0xi2iA
(This guy is a japanese airsofter, so his tuning is limited to 1 joule by law, we can use higher pressure gas here in the states which will cause the bolt to cycle faster)

It sounds like HPA is not the experience you want. Using HPA is an internal swap of an AEG which gives you the spot on trigger pull response and consistency, but... your manual of arms will still be that of an AEG (literally just pulling the mag in and out) and you have a tube sticking out of your replica. Recoil is also very minimal/non existent compared to a GBBR and there are no moving parts externally. Many Indoor airsofters prefer HPA set up for the competitive aspect, but it sounds like if you want to cross train, you'll want a GBBR. Hope this helps!
"One does not care to acknowledge the mistakes of one's youth." - Quattro Bajeena aka Char Aznable
Kendodude

Team: N/A

Postby binicb2r » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:34 pm

Variable wrote:Hey,
Fellow OIT alum here. 2003-2008.

If you want to train, then you want trigger pull that's realistic right? GBBR is going to be one of the most realistic trigger pulls you can get (although if someone knows better please let me know). AEG triggers tend to be more "vague" than something with an actual sear underneath.
I can't say anything about the WE because I haven't handled it, but I can say the KWA AK GBBRs are fanstastic as far as the trigger/bolt/magazine feel. Its still a "toy" feeling compared to the real thing, but that's the nature.

I liked the sound of the full bolt travel.of the We. That adds to the realism for me. Any known mods to increase bolt travel of the KWA? I ended up ordering one.

I've been out of the game for a while but still have my tiny TM M16 with an 8" barrel form college. Just dug out an old DBoys M16 for parts too.

I run an actual AKS74U so naturally I got a AKG74U KWA. I'm looking forward to it.

What did you study at OIT? I was in MET and CSET. Ended up working at a place that most of the technical people and technical supervisors are OIT grads.
Last edited by binicb2r on Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
binicb2r
Soldier
Soldier

Postby binicb2r » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:42 pm

Kendodude wrote:I would highly recommend the GHK AK line up for GBBR AKs. They are much more reliable and have a much wider variety of aftermarket internal parts compared to WE-Tech, which also tends to have a lot of pot metal internals from time to time. They really are Hit or Miss. A lot of GBBR AK users I've met down here in SoCal swear by GHK! They may be more expensive than the WE-Tech, but you get what you pay for. You can find GHK and KWA internal upgrade parts overseas at places like WGCShop, BunnyworkshopHK, and ShooterCB Gear. Before you decide on upgrading and tuning your gun, I suggest taking it out for a run first before upgrading.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHkZr0xi2iA
(This guy is a japanese airsofter, so his tuning is limited to 1 joule by law, we can use higher pressure gas here in the states which will cause the bolt to cycle faster)

It sounds like HPA is not the experience you want. Using HPA is an internal swap of an AEG which gives you the spot on trigger pull response and consistency, but... your manual of arms will still be that of an AEG (literally just pulling the mag in and out) and you have a tube sticking out of your replica. Recoil is also very minimal/non existent compared to a GBBR and there are no moving parts externally. Many Indoor airsofters prefer HPA set up for the competitive aspect, but it sounds like if you want to cross train, you'll want a GBBR. Hope this helps!

I looked at the GHK GBBRs but struggled to find one in stock let alone at a price I was willing to pay. I was also turned off by the partial bolt travel. Ended up ordering a KWA so I'll have to either live without or mod to get full bolt travel.

I appreciate the sources for KWA parts!

I have no plans to mod. It's not a gaming gun but a training tool. It'll be kept as close to my real AKSU as possible, hopefully down to the wood handguard (just not as pretty). I'll do internal reliability things but that's it. I have full machine shop capabilities so even just making my own parts isn't a big deal. I'll have to chrono it as id like to keep to about 330FPS as there will be close quarters training, team and very likely close force on force stuff. Plus I'll be legal anywhere in the PNW if I decide to go to a field.

HPA wasn't a thing back when I was heavy into airsoft! Most of us ran AEGs (I was making early MOSFETs before you could get them from places like evike) and GBB pistols at the time but most of us were onna tight college budget. Things have gotten fancy!

Thanks for the info! I've been out of the loop for a while!
binicb2r
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Kendodude » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:15 am

There are Full Stroke kits available (though, it won't go as far back as your real AK) and the GHK has a large compatibility with various real firearm accessories. I'm unsure about the compatibility of KWA, but GHK can definately take on Magpul, Zenitco, and more! Even your foregrip from your personal AK! There are modifications available to help bring down the FPS of your GBBR too, they're called Negative Air Pressure System (or NPAS). Make sure to do research on the compatibity of the NPAS before purchasing! In japan and UK where FPS of airsoft guns are regulated NPAS are a necessary part and help allow you to use hot GBBRs indoors. Just stuff to keep in mind!

I hope you enjoy your KWA and the start of your GBBR journey! Already a step above using the WE-Tech! :)
"One does not care to acknowledge the mistakes of one's youth." - Quattro Bajeena aka Char Aznable
Kendodude

Postby ThatGnomeGuy » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:12 am

Kendodude wrote: I'm unsure about the compatibility of KWA, but GHK can definately take on Magpul, Zenitco, and more!
I hope you enjoy your KWA and the start of your GBBR journey! Already a step above using the WE-Tech! :)

KWA is pretty proprietary. Pistol grips are swappable, mostly. My repro Zenitco B-18 fits my KWA AK-G. Handguards for the KWA seem remarkably proprietary.
The NOOBest of NOOBs.
ThatGnomeGuy
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Variable » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm

binicb2r wrote:What did you study at OIT? I was in MET and CSET. Ended up working at a place that most of the technical people and technical supervisors are OIT grads.

Information Technology. A lot of the CSET grads from my era ended up going to IGT. The Mechanical people ended up all over kinda like us IT geeks. You go where the work is until the corporate gods lay you off. LOL.
Variable

Team: APST

Postby binicb2r » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:59 pm

Kendodude wrote:There are Full Stroke kits available (though, it won't go as far back as your real AK) and the GHK has a large compatibility with various real firearm accessories. I'm unsure about the compatibility of KWA, but GHK can definately take on Magpul, Zenitco, and more! Even your foregrip from your personal AK! There are modifications available to help bring down the FPS of your GBBR too, they're called Negative Air Pressure System (or NPAS). Make sure to do research on the compatibity of the NPAS before purchasing! In japan and UK where FPS of airsoft guns are regulated NPAS are a necessary part and help allow you to use hot GBBRs indoors. Just stuff to keep in mind!

Good info! Seems like the KWA is also OOS for the AKSU. I was told 2-4 weeks. Ill probably just wait.

Ill have to chrono it and see what Ill need to do. Any further info on full stroke stuff? Its just super weird to charge a bolt and have it go half way.
binicb2r
Soldier
Soldier

Postby binicb2r » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:00 pm

ThatGnomeGuy wrote:
Kendodude wrote: I'm unsure about the compatibility of KWA, but GHK can definately take on Magpul, Zenitco, and more!

KWA is pretty proprietary. Pistol grips are swappable, mostly. My repro Zenitco B-18 fits my KWA AK-G. Handguards for the KWA seem remarkably proprietary.

I might drop a bake pistol grip on there. If I could find wood for cheap I might but real Krink wood is $$$!!!

Do you know what the thread is on the FSB? Is it a standard 24mm RH or is it a stepped down 14mm LH?.
Last edited by binicb2r on Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
binicb2r
Soldier
Soldier

Postby binicb2r » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:05 pm

Variable wrote:
binicb2r wrote:What did you study at OIT? I was in MET and CSET. Ended up working at a place that most of the technical people and technical supervisors are OIT grads.

Information Technology. A lot of the CSET grads from my era ended up going to IGT. The Mechanical people ended up all over kinda like us IT geeks. You go where the work is until the corporate gods lay you off. LOL.

I ended up in the electronics field. Most of what I do now is EE and not a lot related who what I studied. Hopefully I wont be laid off. Some of the folks where I work have been there for 40+ years.
binicb2r
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ThatGnomeGuy » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:20 pm

binicb2r wrote:I might drop a bake pistol grip on there. If I could find wood for cheap I might but real Krink wood is $$$!!!

Do you know what the thread is on the FSB? Is it a standard 24mm RH or is it a stepped down 14mm LH?.

The KWA Krink has a std 24 mm thread, I run my PWS expansion chamber thingie on it for time to time, as well as my faux extended expansion chamber from an SLR-106CR I once had. It is said that underneath the 24mm threaded muzzle end is a standard Airsoft muzzle thread, so if you take off the 24mm, you can run just about any Airsoft muzzle device.
You may have to hog out the inside of your Bakelite grip, I used an old Yugo grip I had laying around and had to waller out the inside where the trigger guard plate is. Fits fine.
Personally, I dream of finding AKSU-type and 10.5-in M4 GBBs that will take enough real steel parts to mirror a couple of real steels I have. It'd be such a handy training aid.
The NOOBest of NOOBs.
ThatGnomeGuy
Grunt
Grunt

Postby binicb2r » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:07 am

ThatGnomeGuy wrote:
binicb2r wrote:I might drop a bake pistol grip on there. If I could find wood for cheap I might but real Krink wood is $$$!!!

The KWA Krink has a std 24 mm thread, I run my PWS expansion chamber thingie on it for time to time, as well as my faux extended expansion chamber from an SLR-106CR I once had. It is said that underneath the 24mm threaded muzzle end is a standard Airsoft muzzle thread, so if you take off the 24mm, you can run just about any Airsoft muzzle device.
You may have to hog out the inside of your Bakelite grip, I used an old Yugo grip I had laying around and had to waller out the inside where the trigger guard plate is. Fits fine.
Personally, I dream of finding AKSU-type and 10.5-in M4 GBBs that will take enough real steel parts to mirror a couple of real steels I have. It'd be such a handy training aid.

Sweet! I have a PBS-4 dummy that was on my real krink before it was SBR'd! I'm glad I can get it off the shelf and do something with it!

If I have to hog out a bake I'll just not mount it.
binicb2r
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ThatGnomeGuy » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:45 am

binicb2r wrote: If I have to hog out a bake I'll just not mount it.

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Kudos!
The NOOBest of NOOBs.
ThatGnomeGuy
Grunt
Grunt

Postby binicb2r » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:54 am

ThatGnomeGuy wrote:
binicb2r wrote: If I have to hog out a bake I'll just not mount it.

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Kudos!

Hahaha! I'm just a bakelite junkie!
binicb2r
Soldier
Soldier

Return to Community General Discussion