Hardcore Product Reviews?

Discuss anything and everything here that's Airsoft related.

Hardcore Product Reviews?

Postby ThatGnomeGuy » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:00 am

Product reviews ...
Most of what's out there in the "Airsoftiverse" seems to be in video format, and they are aimed at a particular demographic which is perhaps not interested in things like durability and the way an Airsoft gun handles abuse in the field. So what's an old guy who's used to rough-handing real steel to do? Is there a review channel out there that's really interested in whether you can tear the safety off of that swanky M4 if you get too aggressive flipping the fun switch to "WHOOHOOOO," or how many times that cool new gas shotgun can handle being racked like the user's life depended on it?
I have to say, I'm less interested in how cool the box is than I am in whether that poly hand guard rail can survive an approximation of actual use.
Thoughts?
The NOOBest of NOOBs.
ThatGnomeGuy
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Re: Hardcore Product Reviews?

Postby Rentax » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:09 pm

Product reviews of that type are hard to come by, because what you are talking about is continued use of a specific product. And these, unboxers/first look reviewers are far more interested in making money form doing a one time review. So they need to pump out a new review every week/month. AKA they are not using the product long enough for shit to start breaking. The best way to go about getting the information you are looking for is to read complaints people make about the products, whether that's on a website or on Redit or otherwise. Or you could crowd source the information, find someone who has owned the product for a while and ask them about it.
Just know doing a review of a product (good or bad) takes a lot of time and energy. So there are going to be very few people out there who are going to work up a whole review on a product that is a year or two old because they are not going to get a lot of hits, and therefore it may seem like a waist of time to them.

Just my 2 cents.
We do what we want
Rentax

Team: SpecDet1

Postby ThatGnomeGuy » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:25 pm

Rentax, your logic is disheartening, but sound, as I read it. And that's too bad. I'm sure I'm not the only GOM (grumpy old man) who's playing who doesn't want to drop a bunch of coin on a gun that can't really dance with you at the prom for more than a song for two.
I wonder if there'd be any interest in the community for 5000-rd reviews of various airsoft guns, where the gun gets fired a bunch, chrono'd at set points to log performance/break-in/break-down, and the sticky-outie bits get fiddled with, to see if they fall or break off. (Saw this happen two weeks ago to an out-of-the-box M249's front sight and charging handle, IIRC.) It'd also be nice to know if inserting batteries, disassembling the gun, etc. was likely to pinch or cut wires, etc.
People might want to know if that folding AKSU stock is going to hold up to folding and unfolding, or if it's going to go wobbly-wobbly ...
The NOOBest of NOOBs.
ThatGnomeGuy
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Payback » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:47 pm

Cost.

I don't think many are willing to pay out for a new gun and then beat the crap out of it trying to break it for a review? I take extra care of mine. They aren't real, they aren't built like real ones. They are mostly cast metal bodies, or polymer. Or the little parts are cast and not as strong as their real counterparts.

Just like most people know that you can't do the HK slap on an mp-5 charging handle or it will snap off.

If you have an airsoft gun that will take that kind of abuse, I'm willing to bet you have a pretty penny invested into it and not willing to abuse it.

I do think it would be cool to see a torture test of the selector switch, how many turns till it stops working. :) I just think that most airsoft youtubers are doing it on their own dime and can't afford to break expensive guns. And if they get a company to send them a gun to review it is generally required to send it back after. They used to send 1 or 2 review guns around to every youtuber to review and pass it on to the next guy.
AKA: rbm33

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty
Payback
Ranger
Ranger

Team: A.S.T.D.

Postby ThatGnomeGuy » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:45 pm

Payback,
Also good points.
The feedback from you two has me thinking that defray costs, a consortium of reviewers could, on our own dimes, review and test a fair bit of kit over the course of a year. Not sure if there's a "market" in the community for this type of info, though.
Since I got into this earlier this year, I've sunk $ into a GBB AK, an AEG L85, AEG L86, gas shotgun, and a GBB G19. I think I slightly bent the pump on the gas shotgun (I was always told to vigorously and forcefully rack shotguns. It's not affecting the gun's performance (yet) but I wonder about the longer-term implications of the possible bent pump and it'd be cool to have a format to advise other purchasers about this stuff, or about how the L85's EBB system is absolutely useless except as a thing that will break as soon as it can after you got it fixed (again, doesn't affect gun function negatively, but some people pay for blowback on purpose). Or, how the L86's selector goes almost immediately wonky, "restricting" you to F/A fire pretty much exclusively. (Now here's a genuine functional issue I worry less about because F/A is what I want from this gun ... but it forces me to carry the shotgun when entering structures, as I have no S/A fire option mostly). It'd be nice to have had video reviews, or consolidated written reviews, that would have pointed these things out as possibilities beforehand, without the need to deep-dive the Reddits.
The NOOBest of NOOBs.
ThatGnomeGuy
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Kendodude » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:46 am

The closest reviewer to what you want may be Badabing on youtube. He is usually an exclusive gas gun reviewer and usually creates his reviews after a few months of use, but not usually extended specials like this TM M4 MWS.
https://www.youtube.com/c/BadaBingPictures/featured

Anvil Airsoft TV, another UK airsoft channel tends to share lots of info according to their experience over periods of time.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6wEFr ... 8M_vW00k3Q

I know it's really hard to find that specific type of review as Rentax had posted previously, but don't get too disheartened. Always ask around, especially at airsoft games and events and see what multiple people say about their guns. Hell, maybe one of these days despite my mechanical un savviness I should make reviews of my longest running guns. All of us experienced players should probably make write ups on our longest running equipment to help reinvigorate this site. It's not too late for a 13 year review on a TM Desert Eagle. is it? haha
"One does not care to acknowledge the mistakes of one's youth." - Quattro Bajeena aka Char Aznable
Kendodude

Postby ThatGnomeGuy » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:04 pm

Kendodude wrote:All of us experienced players should probably make write ups on our longest running equipment to help reinvigorate this site. It's not too late for a 13 year review on a TM Desert Eagle. is it? haha

Dude. THIS is a stellar idea. If several users provided reviews for a range of guns they've used for at least a few months, in at least a few games (preferably more), then it'd be easy to begin amassing a decent database on the quick-like.
it'd be easy to come up with a standard format for written reviews, at least, that could be really helpful to a wide range of people in the sport.
The NOOBest of NOOBs.
ThatGnomeGuy
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Dennis - Crossbow » Mon May 03, 2021 6:04 pm

This is GREAT and what a dedicated Airsoft Community / Forum is all about :-D

Please fee free to post reviews, players want to hear. It can't just be left up to AP Admins and Staff. :D

If you create a YouTube video post the link.
Thank you,
Dennis "Crossbow"

Remember to like us on Facebook and follow us on YouTube, Twitter and Instragram
Dennis - Crossbow
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Kendodude » Fri May 07, 2021 9:35 am

In the process of doing write ups for past and recent stuff.

Currently working on a 14 years later review of my Tokyo Marui Chrome Stainless Desert Eagle (just realized Dancing at Zombie Zoo 2 was in 2007)! It'll take a bit since I'm not technically inclined and have had others do my tech work (but it's still kicking a$$). I've also recently obtained a Tokyo Marui M45A1 CQBP, which will see a review in possibly the Fall since I really wanna get to the nitty gritty of it. ANA Mk2 Chest rig and 5.11 Tactec are also on the list as well as a comparison between the CYMA CM031 (older TM style) and CM040 (VFC style) AK74s. There seems to still be a lot of confusion between the two and compatibility, so I hope some photo references to help new people get into AKs before I part ways with the CM031. It's not a bad gun at all, just not able to do the external modifications I want to do. An LCT is on the horizon as well.

Hopefully I'll bring something back to the forums in time and I hope others do the same!
"One does not care to acknowledge the mistakes of one's youth." - Quattro Bajeena aka Char Aznable
Kendodude

Return to Community General Discussion