Your Favorite Style of Gameplay?

Discuss anything and everything here that's Airsoft related.

What's your favorite Airsoft gameplay style?

All-day milsim
52%
Action-packed skirms
33%
CQB/Tac-sim
10%
Theme games (fantasy, sci-fi)
1%
Shooting pop cans in my back yard
4%

Total votes : 228

Postby Matt » Sun May 21, 2006 2:19 pm

AirsoftoutletNW wrote:myself and several other people im associated with want to compete in tactical events were you or your team is graded based upon your skill,speed, accuracy, mission accomplishment etc. does anyone in the NW host events like that? we'd like to eventually goto cali and compete down there for cash. any info would be nice.
-ben

The purpose of this poll is to find out what types of gameplay that people like, so that we can continue to cater to what the community likes. A competition like the CQC Competition that's more geared toward milsim would be fun if done right. You might be disappointed in the games down in California, as many of us have been in the past. The only money involved in those would be the large sums of money the players have to pay to register.
Matt

Team: APST

Postby SPIKE of the Walkons » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:20 pm

I love all but playing for a perpose is the best and i love a good game that lasts all day and night
"SPIKE" The fastest sniper around!
SPIKE of the Walkons
Recruit
Recruit

Team: N/A

Postby Starcommander » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:59 pm

I went for the mil one because I always have wanted to do something like that. A whole weekend of a non-stop base vs base type of thing. If somehow one team wins you just go "oh well a 30 min break to staragise agian and were off". I mean if you had a big area (like arouns 10-20 acres) you could do it well and with enuph people it would be a long war. The one I was at on sunday in Sultan was fun I decided to defend the base because I knew that not meny would (and there wernt) it was cool being able to hear the small srkmishes off in the distance. the loud gund you could hear quite a ways away. Ever so oftain you would hear a MP5 or a G36 go off if you listend close enuph. I would think that would be awsome if that like happend all day long. Some people obviously would be medics to "revive" people. Hope one comes up in a few months. be fun
Starcommander
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Sargent somthin » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:46 pm

Hi everyone. I'm new. I need some help getting around and learning how this site works. I also like playing good games with friends and, other people I don't know.

Mod edit: Catch22
319y5
Sargent somthin
Recruit
Recruit

Postby vamps » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:51 pm

Knuckles wrote:"D" all of the above.
(milsim)
+1
In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. Amen.
vamps
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Junto » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:13 am

All day milsims and CQB take my cake.
Junto

Team: DRAT

Postby NeoN » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:59 pm

i love little games that go on but you dont have to get bored of them cause you change games so quick i like litle skirmishes with big to the death duels!!! yeah thats fun
Never assume anything...
NeoN
Soldier
Soldier

Postby RRKeith » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:25 pm

I go for MilSim every once in a while. But I had a couple bad experiences my last few times. I guess you could say some Milsim'ers are less then friendly. :? So I voted for action packed skirms. Not the type where there's 3 tons of plastic in the air at all times. But the type where there is alot of movement, and squad vs. squad action. Just can't beat that in my opinion.
RRKeith
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Lil' Buddha » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:56 pm

I enjoy a well-organized event, but cannot stand a poorly organized one. Also, any event where I am standing around more than I am shooting is one I will avoid. Milsim, skirm, whatever... I will play just about anything as long as the guys are cool and don't spew their egos on everyone else because they think they are the biggest kid on the block. In other words, the type of event is less important to me than the type of people I play with.
Lil' Buddha
Soldier
Soldier

Postby chapped » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:14 pm

I prefer MilSim above all, but I enjoy the variety that all styles of gameplay bring to the table.
I would like to see events remain free, or at the very least lets keep the cost down. 45-65 dollars for an event is a bit steep. And save the argument of how this is still cheap compared to many other sports. Yes golf is much more expensive. Hence, the reason I don't play golf. While I have, and will continue to participate in these fee based events, I do not want to see them replace the freeplay we so often enjoy.
One of the great things about the airsoft community here in the NW is that the community is large enough that we can enjoy organized events without having to rely on greed driven commercial fields. (This does not pertain to Strike-Zone! Strike Zones pricing is very reasonable.)
I just can't see paying 50 bucks to play at a field, especially when the event is entirely organized, administered and staffed by us (members of the community.)
There is no justice.
There's just us.
chapped
Specops
Specops

Team: SpecDet1

Postby omega1 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:55 pm

I can see it if the event's costs require it (props, consumables, BBQ, etc), but just enough to cover the costs. You are right, the events are most often community run, and it is bs to charge an arm or leg for a big game on some property. Now, if someone, or a group of people were to go out, buy up 100 acres, and detail it with trenches, outposts, bunkers, etc., and charge a bit to play there, I may be inclined to understand that. However, it would have to be a pretty bang up job, not just a bunch of tires and plyboard thrown around with some holes in the ground.

Anywho, something I would absolutely love to see, but highly doubt it coming into fruition unless someone designs a MOUT field, is having a game where one team has to assault/sneak in from outside, and then capture/rescue/steal the objective and get out. That way, you incorporate both outdoor milsim style play, along with a CQC style. Cypriot Ridge kind of did that for me when taking the Main Village and Khe San, as you had to thoroughly search each structure, but it still wasn't full on CQC style.
M4 CQBR, P90 TR, M3 Shorty, HFC M9, KJW Sig P229, WE 1911
omega1
Specops
Specops

Postby Soyuz » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:54 am

There have been some decent Mil-Sim events in the past, I'm quite hungry for one myself. Capture the flag skirms are ruined by having the respawn at the flag you're trying to capture, or near it. Skirmish days are kind of like indoor paintball to me, might as well get out the blow up obstacles and respawn every 10 minutes. Not all skirms are really that bad, but the respawning thing gets rediculus.

It's Mil-Sim and CQC for me. Some of the best Mil-Sim days I've had saw no more than 10-20 bb's come out of my rifle. Stealth and skill over firepower, I like having to use my head.

There are alot of people that want to play airsoft and come to Mil-Sim events feeling lost after a few hours or forget what they are doing, I don't get that. Every event has a briefing before it and still people forget the most basic rules, that's what messes up Mil-Sim games. The other thing that messes up Mil-Sim events is when entire teams decide to sit down for lunch in the middle of an event, I'm not kidding (Cypriot Ridge).

Mil-Sim, with no lunch breaks, just eat as you go (if you can even eat), nasty hills, impassible areas of brush, running into deer and elk, getting dizzy from the heat / exhaustion, freezing my a$$ off, having to use a map to figure out where the hell I am...yes, I think so. More real the better.
Soyuz
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Skywalker » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:23 am

Soyuz wrote:There have been some decent Mil-Sim events in the past, I'm quite hungry for one myself. Capture the flag skirms are ruined by having the respawn at the flag you're trying to capture, or near it. Skirmish days are kind of like indoor paintball to me, might as well get out the blow up obstacles and respawn every 10 minutes. Not all skirms are really that bad, but the respawning thing gets rediculus.

It's Mil-Sim and CQC for me. Some of the best Mil-Sim days I've had saw no more than 10-20 bb's come out of my rifle. Stealth and skill over firepower, I like having to use my head.

There are alot of people that want to play airsoft and come to Mil-Sim events feeling lost after a few hours or forget what they are doing, I don't get that. Every event has a briefing before it and still people forget the most basic rules, that's what messes up Mil-Sim games. The other thing that messes up Mil-Sim events is when entire teams decide to sit down for lunch in the middle of an event, I'm not kidding (Cypriot Ridge).

Mil-Sim, with no lunch breaks, just eat as you go (if you can even eat), nasty hills, impassible areas of brush, running into deer and elk, getting dizzy from the heat / exhaustion, freezing my a$$ off, having to use a map to figure out where the hell I am...yes, I think so. More real the better.

I agree. At Grid 18 what did I do when most everybody walked back up to the staging area to eat? I stayed back, in my drenched summer bdu's, freezing my a$$ off. I ate nothing, because I saved the few energy bars I had for during respawn or in battle.

It's quite easy to blame the problems with large Mil-Sim games on the people, but that truly is where the blame lies. When you have large events like Cypriot Ridge you will ALWAYS get some asshats.

My main problem with the respawn is that after you fight your a$$ off to take that one hill or position, 5 minutes later does it matter? The squad you just lost 3 men trying to destroy just came back while you were still clearing the rest of the position. Also, those 3 people in your group also just returned, so it wasn't a major loss when they just come back.

I realize this is the only way to keep games moving, but perhaps those in respawn could form mixed units(with a minimum and limit to size) and have a mandatory rule that they cannot return to the same area to continue the fight. They should be deployed (or redeployed) in a different zone, or fresh assault, to more simulate new fresh squads entering the battle. I realize this plan has flaws but it's just a stab in the dark at something new.
Año de nieves, año de bienes.
Skywalker
Ranger
Ranger

Postby omega1 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:46 pm

One of the things I would like to see are invite only OPs. Where teams and players are invited to play, no walk ons. That way, you are playing with a set amount of people that you know to be honorable, instead of getting about 20 kids that come out in surplus woodlands and white tennis shoes, all get put on the same team because they have woodland. And then they don't listen to their SL's, and don't call their hits.

I would also like to eventually see team on team games. Not for exhibition or whatever, but because then you know who your mates are, and each team (generally) has a uniform that they wear, or a military unit they copy. That way, you get to have more of a squad vs squad style game, where everyone on each team is working together, and it becomes more tactical.

I would also like to see like one or two Ops a year be ultra-realistic. Where sides are depicted via uniforms, weapons, and possibly even tactics. That way, you have the USFOR, represented by players in US uniforms and gear, carrying M16's, M4's, and MP5's, fighting, say, the Russians, who are running in Russian uniform and gear, carrying AK's and such. There are already a lot of players that swear by AK's, so there is your Russian/terrorist/3rd world country group, and the same can be said about AR varients and NATO style groups. I just think it would immerse players more into the story if people didn't all look like elite commandos when they are supposed to be a rag tag militia group of either Turks or Greeks (OP Cypriot Ridge) Just my .02
M4 CQBR, P90 TR, M3 Shorty, HFC M9, KJW Sig P229, WE 1911
omega1
Specops
Specops

Postby acid » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:05 pm

omega1 wrote:One of the things I would like to see are invite only OPs. Where teams and players are invited to play, no walk ons. That way, you are playing with a set amount of people that you know to be honorable, instead of getting about 20 kids
omega1 wrote: that come out in surplus woodlands and white tennis shoes, all get put on the same team because they have woodland. And then they don't listen to their SL's, and don't call their hits.

I would also like to eventually see team on team games. Not for exhibition or whatever, but because then you know who your mates are, and each team (generally) has a uniform that they wear, or a military unit they copy. That way, you get to have more of a squad vs squad style game, where everyone on each team is working together, and it becomes more tactical.

I would also like to see like one or two Ops a year be ultra-realistic. Where sides are depicted via uniforms, weapons, and possibly even tactics. That way, you have the USFOR, represented by players in US uniforms and gear, carrying M16's, M4's, and MP5's, fighting, say, the Russians, who are running in Russian uniform and gear, carrying AK's and such. There are already a lot of players that swear by AK's, so there is your Russian/terrorist/3rd world country group, and the same can be said about AR varients and NATO style groups. I just think it would immerse players more into the story if people didn't all look like elite commandos when they are supposed to be a rag tag militia group of either Turks or Greeks (OP Cypriot Ridge) Just my .02

i agree with the ultra realistic idea. i would go even as far to say that if you get hit, you're dead, no respawn. if a whole team dies during the day, just restart.

about the invite only idea, i guess that sounds good and would filter out the idiots, but being pretty new to the community, i know some, but not alot of you guys yet, so i might not get invited to a lot of the good games. i also consider myself a pretty mature player compared to some others. so i guess what i'm trying to say is, as long as you invite a lot of people (not just your close buddies) it sounds pretty good. i would hate to be not invited to games just because i'm not real popular in the community yet.
acid
Specops
Specops

PreviousNext

Return to Community General Discussion